Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #16201
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I have just finished a wonderful story by Michael Swanwick, "Slow Life". It is science fiction at its best with an original, very intriguing theme and excellent social commentary combined into an integrated whole that will keep you thinking for quite a while. I loved it so much that I gave it an entry to itself on my challenge list--though I got it as part of a larger volume.

It can be read free--with the author's permission--here:

http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fi...#comment-10831

You won't regret reading this piece!

Last edited by fantasyfan; 04-09-2013 at 09:17 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #16202
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post

Yes, that was a good story. Thanks for the link.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #16203
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading In Enemy Hands on my Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	enemy.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	104100  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #16204
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I'm reading Dr. Neruda's Cure for Evil by Rafael Yglesias. It is beautiful written so far. A Jewish and Cuban kid becomes a psychiatrist after having a traumatic family history. The book is laid out as his own "case history," then the "case history" of a patient he has. It reminds me of Robertson Davies' Fifth Business a little.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #16205
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I just begun Ngaio Marsh's first of the Inspector Alleyn series, "A Man Lay Dead." I've only read one of her books before, 'Artists in Crime,' and enjoyed it. I've decided to read the whole series (but not one right after the other! I need variety.) So similar to Agatha Christie, but so different too! Good reads!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2013, 01:30 AM   #16206
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I have just finished a wonderful story by Michael Swanwick, "Slow Life". It is science fiction at its best with an original, very intriguing theme and excellent social commentary combined into an integrated whole that will keep you thinking for quite a while. I loved it so much that I gave it an entry to itself on my challenge list--though I got it as part of a larger volume.

Thanks for the link, that was my lunch time reading today. Very good.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:28 AM   #16207
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I just begun Ngaio Marsh's first of the Inspector Alleyn series, "A Man Lay Dead." I've only read one of her books before, 'Artists in Crime,' and enjoyed it. I've decided to read the whole series (but not one right after the other! I need variety.) So similar to Agatha Christie, but so different too! Good reads!

Stitchawl
Much better than Agatha Christie, IMO. I find myself reading and enjoying Marsh's books, but AC only works for me as a TV show or movie. The books mostly bore me.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:31 AM   #16208
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've decided to continue with Larry Niven's Ringworld series. I've read the first book in February and I think I might have read it before since some things were familiar to me. Hopefully The Ringworld Engineers will offer some answers to some unanswered questions I had after reading the first book.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #16209
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I'm about halfway through the first of the Nero Wolfe canon by Rex Stout: Fer-de-Lance. Others have said it's not the best in the series, and I'd have to agree; not much background given (series setup), leaving the reader to feel as though he's stumbled into ongoing adventures to fend for himself in that regard.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #16210
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

Stitchawl
I've been doing exactly that - reading the entire series, in order (in between other books) for about the last 18 months (I recently finished the 27th book in the series - there are 32 in all). The crimes in Marsh's books are often pretty simple - occasionally self-evident - but the real difference between Marsh and AC is the characters in the books. AC's characters are 2-dimensional cardboard figures; Marsh's come across as real people whom you actually care about.

I'd advise trying to read them in order if you can; there's real character development as the series progresses.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #16211
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished Cherryh's Protector, and found myself at the end of it hating the fact that I'd have to wait a year or so before I could have the next book in this series. This one definitely left me wanting more.

Next up, Campion #4, Policemen at the Funeral.
And finished the Campion. This was excellent, and you can see that Allingham is really developing her characters over time. Though this book has very little of Lugg in it. We are starting to get more details about Albert Campion, and lovely little unhelpful but enticing hints about who he really is. As with all Margery Allinghams's books, this is well written and delightfully funny in a quiet way.

Next up, a total break from the elegant and witty Allingham -- David Weber's Shadow of Freedom.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #16212
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Just finished reading The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes. It's a great read that kept me in its grip till the last page. You can't really describe it since it has to be experienced for yourself. A mix of horror and thriller with a time travel twist. Haven't read anything quite like it before. Finished it in one sitting.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #16213
xknucklesx
xknucklesx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
"Vanity" by Shayn Nicely

Whether you're invested in the debate on marriage equality, a conflicted, open-minded Christian, a former sufferer of eating disorders or just a humanist, there's a lot to enjoy about the book "Vanity" by Shayn Nicely, which is available on Kindle. Written from the perspective of a 17-year-old girl at a private Christian school, struggling with anorexia and her first love (another girl). The book delves into deep territories of body dysmorphia, self-harm, and sexual paradigm, so it has its rough patches, but overall, the read is uplifting, with a palpable message of honesty and tolerance for lifestyle choice. I suggest you try a free sample and see what -you- think. What I found personally most enjoyable were the characters. They really came off the page. Check it out and remember to give a fair review to every author you discover! It's the only way other readers know!
xknucklesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #16214
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I'm about halfway through the first of the Nero Wolfe canon by Rex Stout: Fer-de-Lance. Others have said it's not the best in the series, and I'd have to agree; not much background given (series setup), leaving the reader to feel as though he's stumbled into ongoing adventures to fend for himself in that regard.
Killer twist in that one. Enjoy.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #16215
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
After you finish the Rex Stout books there are the Robert Goldsborough sequels, including the latest, Archie Meets Nero Wolfe: A Prequel to Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/g/...-goldsborough/

Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote