Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-31-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Tennis Anyone? -The Run Up to the U.S. Open

Watched my first match of the hard court season today, and it was a good one to watch!

Serena Williams has won her first WTA (non-Grand Slam) title since 2009, her first title of any sort since Wimbledon 2010, and is the first American woman to win a title on American soil since 2008. Plus, this is just her 3rd tournament back after being out for a year due to illness and injury.What a way to come back strong!!!

Not sure which tourney I'm going to watch next. This is a crazy time of year for my family, so I pretty much take what I can get- tennis wise.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The men's draw is going to be very interesting this year.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
The men's draw is going to be very interesting this year.
True!
Can the Joker stay on top?
Can Nadal regain his spot?
Will Federer ever be a dominating force again?
What about Andy Murry, can he finally break into the top 3, stay there and win his First Grand slam? (He's my guy )
Who else is waiting in the wings!?!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Del Potro is reasonably healthy again and Tsonga has looked pretty good at times. Those would be the other two I would say are reasonable choices for who is in the semis along with the usual four.

What about the other top seeds?
Soderling? It's been a while since I've thought so little about someone ranked #5.
Ferrer? Interesting, but doubtful. He does play reasonable on hard courts.
Monfils? More likely than the previous two to end up in the semis.
Fish? Maybe. Quarters at Wimbledon is a decent showing.
Berdych?
Almagro?
Simon?
Roddick?

Those are the only other two I would put any weight behind being in the semis or finals.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
Nyssa
Series Addict

Roddick has a chance to go deep with the hometown advantage, as does Fish, who has been playing exceptionally well. In fact, I think Fish has a better chance than Roddick.

Tsonga is a reasonable bet.

I don't see Monfils all the way up there...yet.

Soderling can cause trouble in the draw when he's ready, but I don't see him going all the way.

In all honesty, I don't pay much attention to Ferrer or Almagro and I haven't seen Simon play in a long time.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

I was just going through the list. Soderling is dangerous, but he needs a good day and a poor day by one of the top four to get a win. Agreed that Fish has a better chance than Roddick right now. My ratings so far in order of odds...

Murray is cursed right now given the level of play from the other top players right now. But then Djokovic was cursed to and look at him now, so maybe Murray's got a hope, but he needs some brain adjustments to get there in my opinion.

What about Roanic? I was disappointed to see him struggle with injuries after a great start this year. I don't think Canada has ever had as high-ranked a player in men's singles as Milos was. Greg Rusedski (traitor) would have been the last good player out of Canada in singles.

On the women's side? Who knows. Depends on who shows up.
Kim if she's healthy. Serena is going to need a blessed draw to win. If she's healthy and motivated it's hard to bet against her, but I'm not sure she's motivated yet and having to play five top twenty seeds to win isn't going to help her if she hasn't sorted things out.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I was just going through the list. Soderling is dangerous, but he needs a good day and a poor day by one of the top four to get a win. Agreed that Fish has a better chance than Roddick right now. My ratings so far in order of odds...

Murray is cursed right now given the level of play from the other top players right now. But then Djokovic was cursed to and look at him now, so maybe Murray's got a hope, but he needs some brain adjustments to get there in my opinion.

What about Roanic? I was disappointed to see him struggle with injuries after a great start this year. I don't think Canada has ever had as high-ranked a player in men's singles as Milos was. Greg Rusedski (traitor) would have been the last good player out of Canada in singles.

On the women's side? Who knows. Depends on who shows up.
Kim if she's healthy. Serena is going to need a blessed draw to win. If she's healthy and motivated it's hard to bet against her, but I'm not sure she's motivated yet and having to play five top twenty seeds to win isn't going to help her if she hasn't sorted things out.
Murray, Murray, Murray! I know why I like him, he is far more talented than his results show. Sometimes, as a regular participant of the Murraycoaster I have to be reminded. I agree that a mental/attitude adjustment must be made.

On the women's side: As a huge fan, I am hoping beyond hope that Serena kicks major butt at the USO this year - to redeem herself after the 2009 debacle, missing 2010, and her struggles thus far. I really want to see her back on top.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Good stuff from all - great thread Nyssa! Sorry I never got around to updating my Wimbledon thread with my fave pro pics from this year's SW19...

No surprise from me - this Fed fanboy still believes. The greatest player I have ever seen will be a major factor at Flushing Meadow. Women's draw is always tricky for me to pick out though....

sigh...so sad. One of the worst things about my recent life relocation to Hong Kong will be ending my streak of 26 years of US Open attendance.... I always knew I was so lucky to be a native NYCer.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Personally don't think either of the Williams will make the finals; but they do get motivated for the Grand Slams. While both women are very talented, tennis doesn't seem to be enough of a focus, and age is beginning to be a factor for them.

On the men's side, Roddick seems to be really struggling. I think Djokovich, Nadal and Federer have the most potential as finalists. But we still have almost a month before the Open, so who's going to stay healthy?

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #10
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

What about Stepanek? Beats Nieminn, Verdasco, and Monfils to win Legg Mason.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #11
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ Yeah, a great run there. Stepanek is always kinda dangerous IMO - he should definitely be in the mix, if his head is right Good call
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #12
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Stepanek is one of those guys you don't want to see in the first week if you don't have to. Given his current ranking he's probably going to be an ugly first or second round match for someone.

I'm jealous you've gotten to go to the US Open so much. It's still on my list of things to do: night matches in the first week. Watched a lot on television. I remember some classic Aaron Krickstein matches.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #13
Nyssa
Series Addict

I tend to forget about Stepanek. I wonder how the field sees him? I agree he can e a dangerous player at times.

On the women's side:

VENUS WILLIAMS WITHDRAWS FROM ROGERS CUP

"Venus Williams has withdrawn from the tournament due to a viral illness. "

I hope she gets better soon.

I wasn't expecting a lot from her tourney, wise, but I still like to watch her play. My hope is that when Venus decides to retire, she and Serena will still play doubles.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #14
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Murray, Murray, Murray! I know why I like him, he is far more talented than his results show. Sometimes, as a regular participant of the Murraycoaster I have to be reminded. I agree that a mental/attitude adjustment must be made.
This is Murray's best surface, so hopefully he'll get through to the last four yet again and then anything can happen.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #15
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Like him losing..?

Bwahahahaha!
afa is offline   Reply With Quote