Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-11-2013, 04:00 AM   #1
coolbhai83
coolbhai83 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Ebook reader or Tablet?

hi guys,

i was the proud owner of Kindle Keyboard until last month. But, i have discovered that my kindle keyboard had broken screen. therefore, i am searching for either E Book reader (E ink) or Tablet for reading purpose. Kindle Touch 4 and Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 T311 (8 Inch tab with enhanced reading mode) are under consideration. Please suggest me which of these two should i buy or other wise suggest some other devices. As I am based in India , i don't have many options available in the market.

Thanks in Advance.
coolbhai83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:45 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
What do you read?

If you need colour, or if you're reading graphic novels or PDFs/scientific articles/etc, get a tablet. If you're reading just text (like novels), and light weight, great battery life, and lack of eyestrain are things you value, get the Kindle.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I found that I read a lot less with my iPad then I did on my Kindle. The tablet has so many wonderful time wasters, board games, the internet, email, and all that fun stuff. I would read a book and get a message that I had an email and then not get back to the book.

I find that if I am on the couch or in bed and I have my Kindle close by, I will pick it up and read. If I have the iPad, I play games.

So, if you want to read and you are distracted by other things, I would get an e-reader only. If you have more discipline then I do, go for the tablet. They do more and many are well priced. I am happy i have both but when I want to read, I need to use the Kindle.

I did not suffer any eyestrain when I read on the iPad. It is easy to turn down the brightness, use different color back grounds and the like. So that was not an issue for me.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I much prefer an e-ink ereader for reading. Tablets are great but reading isn't what I like them for. But I agree that if you're reading anything graphic, you need a tablet so that would change my recommendation. I just got the new Kindle Paperwhite and it's really nice. If you've got books you've bought from Amazon, you might consider that. Touch readers are a necessity for me at this point. If I want to look up a word, I just have to touch the screen.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote