Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #61
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Poppaea, RedBees, Ana:

http://www.anamardoll.com/2011/06/er...tion-with.html

I hope this is helpful.
So this only works with the 950? Drats I have a 350.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Actually, now that I FINALLY have it working, I am planning to write a guide for the process. It's pretty simple... in retrospect.
But it was damn hard to figure out the problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 10:01 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
This is the crux of the geeky things. When you got it right you wonder what made it so hard at first and made you smash some stuff while being in the process.

I'd be thankful for a guide!
Oh I know why it was so hard to fix. It was something that almost nobody would have figured out. If I was using another program besides Notepad++ when I was trying to solve this problem, I may never have figured it out and the bug that caused this problem is very very obscure.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Oh, I know, right? How many times have I finished a grueling tech issue only to lament If only I knew then what I know now! I think that's why I like making "how-to" guides.

My plan is to get one up this weekend -- the tricky thing is gathering all the links and screenshots.
You can easily get screen shots of the problem by setting the CSS back to the wrong encoding and using it and then fixing it back for the after screen shots.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I had a version of PRS+ on my old 505 and I found that the user stylesheet overrode the one in the ePub. So basically, there was no need to remove the embedded fonts in any ePub. Have you tried this in the current PRS+?
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 10:45 PM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/do...beta_setup.exe

That is for the 350.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #67
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
I would think it would work for the 350 as well. PRS+ has a 350 flavor, I think.

Ah, JSWolf already answered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #68
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Thanks
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #69
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
Quote:
Are you sure?

I ask because this morning I rebooted my PRS-950 and was all OH NOES PRS+ IS GONE. Then I turned the reader off, popped the SD card out, turned it back on, and PRS+ was back.

I'm wondering if booting up the device with an SD card inserted hides the PRS+ stuff.
Thanks Ana, I don't have an SD card in there now(waiting for payday tomorrow). You know it's weird I used to have plenty of small micro- sd cards sitting around and still have the adapters but I've been giving away micro sd cards and now I have none :-(). But even with moving 300 books and a few albums of music, there's more than a gig of space left. Do you have to have a sd card installed to install PRS+? I hate when I read over instructions and miss important bits that are really obvious. lol

Yeah, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it and it keeps getting stuck on 'opening book' with PRS+... You're supposed to just run the exe for the 950 and let it do it's thing right and then just restart afterward. Were there any extra steps you did to get it working Ana?

Last edited by anabolina; 06-09-2011 at 02:13 PM.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #70
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, you don't need an SD card to install PRS+. I wonder why PRS+ went missing for you, though.

You are using the 350, right? Not the 950 install?
Old 06-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #71
jswinden
Nameless Being

Off topic for sure, but does anyone know whether PRS+ displays ePubs in landscape mode correctly on the 350/650? The stock Sony method is terrible on the 350. The 950 of course does it correctly, as I seem to recall.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #72
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
Quote:
No, you don't need an SD card to install PRS+. I wonder why PRS+ went missing for you, though.

You are using the 350, right? Not the 950 install?
:-( Maybe it's just not meant to be... No I did use the 950 installer and then the 950 uninstaller. I even did it on 2 different computer, although both had the same Win 7 64bit OS.

It was weird yesterday, the 950(I really have to come up with a name for it) was taking a really long time to open normal sized books(like 30+ seconds) but was turning pages fine within the books so I hooked it up to the computer and found the uninstaller didn't delete the PRSPlus folder and that go me a bit perplexed. So I did a factory reset on it last night and now it's working normally. I guess I could try installing PRSPlus with my netbook(XP) and see if that helps things along.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #73
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Ana, I'm so sorry, I'm confused.

I thought you said earlier that you have the PRS-350 model -- the 5" pocket reader? If you have that, you need to be installing the PRS+ 350 version, not the PRS+ 950 version.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #74
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
It was Pomtroll, asking for the 350-version.

anabolina
installing PRS+ (with the ..setup.exe) should be a straight forward process.

Please check the "About" screen after installation.
If all went well, the first screen of About will show the PRS+ fw-version. Also the third row of home-screen will look different with PRS+
Browse Folders instead of periodicals
and More instead of ....(don't remember, sorry)

There is a "glitch" at least with 350/650.
After installing PRS+ all looks and works as expected.
After the first full shutdown and restart the standard UI will show up. (Maybe you got this effect)
Just do another full shutdown restart and PRS+ will show up again.
(Added this as Note2: on the PRS+ project homepage wiki installationguide, too)
HTH
Mark

PS: I remember you wrote about a boot-loop with PRS+, so it may be be wise to backup the content of IM (Internal Memory) to your computer, format the readers IM and try the PRS+ installation with a "clean" system

Last edited by Mark Nord; 06-10-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #75
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Off topic for sure, but does anyone know whether PRS+ displays ePubs in landscape mode correctly on the 350/650? The stock Sony method is terrible on the 350.
Jack,
Sony Reader with PRS+ use the same ADE/viewer/rendering code as original Sony FW. Just userStyle.CSS is made accessible.
So there should be no difference, but I will check with my 650 and report back.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote