Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
zeroh
Zealot
zeroh doesn't litterzeroh doesn't litter

Device: nook color
Is there a way to use Aldiko to read BN purchased books

Anyone?

I prefer Aldiko because of the custom font/background and brightness slider. Am I going to have to figure out how to remove the DRM on a book?
zeroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Yes, you'll need to remove the DRM. There's no way to enter the credit card information that's required for the B&N books.

If you're looking to decrease the brightness more try Screen Filter

http://www.appbrain.com/app/screen-filter/com.haxor

Last edited by SCION; 12-29-2010 at 04:18 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
zeroh
Zealot
zeroh doesn't litterzeroh doesn't litter

Device: nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Yes, you'll need to remove the DRM. There's no way to enter the credit card information that's required for the B&N books.

If you're looking to decrease the brightness more try Screen Filter

http://www.appbrain.com/app/screen-filter/com.haxor
Thanks. I tried Screen Filter and while it's a nice tool, I still prefer Aldiko over the default reader because the brightness adjuster is built in and i can adjust it with a flick of a thumb. I also like the font colors that's not available with the default reader. Also, the default reader doesn't have any visual queues when you change a page. I find that sometimes I can't tell when the page has changed. I either notice after rereading the first sentence or if it's a new page, then I have to go back one just to make sure I didn't skip a page because it tends to do that to sometimes. With Aldiko, you can tell when the page changes and it also has a chapter location marker at the bottom that moves with the changed page.

The only think aldiko can't do is show illustrations within the book and go back just one page from a chapter's beginning page - which can be annoying but not as nearly as annoying as not knowing if you're at the right page after flipping.
zeroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Understood. Yeah, just remove the DRM. There are plugins for calibre that do this. I haven't used the one for B&N yet.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The new Aldiko version 2.0 (still listed as coming soon, but apparently available in the premium version already), reportedly supports B&N DRM for ePubs. So there is no need to strip DRM. I recommend stripping DRM anyway, but you won't have to with version 2.0.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert