Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #76
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Surprised that there isn't one in Fledgling. Honestly, I'm only speculating that it's there in the others since it was in Crystal Soldier. Just makes sense to put it there. Hmm. Have to check the other two sequences, now.

EDIT: Not in the Regencies, either.
EDIT #2: The Agent of Change sequence does have the interview at the end of the first book in the sequence.

Last edited by CRussel; 09-11-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Updated
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #77
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Sharon Lee has posted the cover art for the next Liaden book, Necessity’s Child (formerly known as George) which is set to be published February 2013 by Baen...

http://korval.com/2012/09/19/art-and...essitys-child/

Also of interest she's announced that...
Quote:
Toni has accepted our proposal for five Liaden books, delivery dates from mid-2013 to mid-2016
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #78
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Sharon Lee has posted the cover art for the next Liaden book, Necessity’s Child (formerly known as George) which is set to be published February 2013 by Baen...

http://korval.com/2012/09/19/art-and...essitys-child/

Also of interest she's announced that...
Yes, saw that. Hmm. If George is due out in February, we can't be all that far from an eArc.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #79
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yes, saw that. Hmm. If George is due out in February, we can't be all that far from an eArc.
Sharon said late October or mid November. I check daily, hoping for sooner, though.
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #80
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Is Necessity's Child related to Calamity's child? I've been sitting on that one for a while...
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #81
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Is Necessity's Child related to Calamity's child? I've been sitting on that one for a while...
Nope. The first short story in Calamity's Child is about a scout who is on a planet with the same or similar culture as the one Daav visited. The one where Daav got his earring. The other short story, I don't think it's a Liaden story.

Necessity's Child takes place on Surebleak in the same time period as Dragon Ship.
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #82
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I've got a subscription to Audible.com and when I visited the site today, there was a banner sale offer of 3 extra credits for approx. $36.00. The sale is supposed to be good through Oct. 31. You can't normally buy extra credits if you run out of them; they only accrue monthly with your subscription fee.

Just figured I'd mention it for those of you who are also picking up the Liaden books in audio format, since there's a wealth of audiobooks available now.

The Liaden Universe audiobooks
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:24 AM   #83
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Yup, I stocked up with those in August just before the release. Audible has been running these promotions for extra credits fairly often of late. Just keep in mind that you can't roll over more than 6 credits (Gold monthly subscription) or 12 credits (Platinum monthly subscription). Any more than that and you simply lose your credit. So, spend them quickly on Liaden books!
Old 10-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #84
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Chapter 1 of Necessity's Child is up at http://korval.com/.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #85
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Thanks!
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #86
CRussel
(he/him/his)

The eARC for Necessity's Child is up on the Baen eBooks site. Enjoy!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #87
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #88
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Necessity's Child

Quote:
Oh, and it's good! Highly recommended.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #89
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I'm coming back to the Liaden books after a fairly long hiatus, and started reading the series with Ghost Ship -I'm part way into Necessity's Child right now.

I'm really baffled by the Department of the Interior. I had thought their goal was some sort of Liaden racial purity, but it seems like they're taking over whole systems. not being content with simply driving Korval off Liad, they're trying to destroy Korval entirely. They seem to me to be a sort of cardboard Big Bad with opaque motivations except to cause problems for Korval for whatever reason.

Also, I *know* I hadn't read Ghost Ship before, but the cliff-hanger ending with Daav sounded awfully familiar - was that in one of the other books as well?

Does Dragon Ship end with a similar cliff-hanger? because if so, I might just re-read earllier sequences, and wait for the next Theo Waitley book to come out, when ever it does.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #90
CRussel
(he/him/his)

The DoI is out to control Liad completely and totally, and they view Korval as the single biggest deterrent to that goal. For more details on this, your best source would be the Agent of Change sequence. (Agent of Change, Conflict of Honors, Carpe Diem, Plan B, and I Dare. )

Dragon Ship definitely ends with me wanting more. (And Necessity's Child is completely a standalone, not really fitting in any sequence, though the reader for Audible will be the same as the Theo Waitley sequence, I understand.) But I wouldn't hold back waiting, it's too good a book to not read.

I just went through a complete re-read of the entire set of Liaden novels, starting with Crystal Soldier and reading in chronological order. It was quite enjoyable, and I found lots of little things I'd forgotten or hadn't noticed in my original reading.