Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Apple's iBooks Fairplay DRM circumvented

It is now possible to remove the DRM from epub ebooks bought in Apple's iBooks store.

"Brahms", has recently released a new version, 3.3, of his Requiem software, which has been able to remove DRM from music and videos bought in the iTunes Music Store for a long time.

This new version can also remove the DRM from Apple's epub format ebooks.

Moderator Notice

Although DRM removal tools can be discussed on MobileRead in a general way, the tools themselves, links to to tools, or even detailed instructions on how to find and use the tools are not permitted.

Any such uploads, links or detailed instructions will be deleted.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Would it be likely that this will be incorporated into future Alf releases? I'd rather not install more software than necessary
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
Would it be likely that this will be incorporated into future Alf releases? I'd rather not install more software than necessary
Who knows? From what I've seen, this is a Java-based solution, so I wouldn't expect a Calibre plug-in version anytime soon.

Also, Apple seem to be fairly vigorous in their defence of FairPlay, so there's no telling how long it will continue to work.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
So use it fast IBook buyers.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I wonder if this will affect the popularity of iBooks?
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Doubt it. The vast majority of e-reading people I know are not conscious about DRM, only the selection of a given store.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire w/Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I wonder if this will affect the popularity of iBooks?
I also doubt it. Amazon still controls the majority of the e-book market, and iBooks is an iOS-exclusive, Apple-only thing.
calibrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If anyone could go to the iBook store and purchase ebooks, then I could possibly see the news bumping their popularity, but you still need an iOS device to even shop at the iBooks store, don't you?

Still, I imagine there are some people who might consider jumping from their iOS Kindle app to the iBooks app now that they're secure in the knowledge that they can back-up their purchases to use as they see fit.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
You can buy iBooks via the iTunes app on a computer, it's just you can't read them there. I know this because I have a bunch of freebies from them on my Mac, and absolutely no compatible iDevice to read them with (nor any intention of getting one soon).

Almost all my freebies are duplicates of the publisher promos from the other stores, but I'll have to give this app a try, if only to see how well it works, while it still works.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake
You can buy iBooks via the iTunes app on a computer, it's just you can't read them there. I know this because I have a bunch of freebies from them on my Mac, and absolutely no compatible iDevice to read them with (nor any intention of getting one soon).
Interesting. Good to know. I'd consider checking it out, but that iTunes PC app is just so damn big and unwieldy... especially when ebooks would be the only thing I would consider using it for. Kinda like using a 16lb sledge to tap in finishing nails.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire w/Aldiko
Thinking about it, I'm not sure why this would make a huge difference, since all you'd end up with is a de-DRMed ePub, and the iBooks selection isn't as good as you can find at B&N or Google Books. As it is, you can already get the iBooks UI experience with de-DRMed epubs from those two stores, if that's what floats your boat.

It's good to have portability and more bookstores to choose from, but right now, I'm just not feeling it.
calibrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Still, I imagine there are some people who might consider jumping from their iOS Kindle app to the iBooks app now that they're secure in the knowledge that they can back-up their purchases to use as they see fit.
People like me. I prefer the iBooks app to the Kindle app. I only read on my iPad or iPhone. However, I've mostly bought from Amazon due to their DRM being cracked.

Will I _definitely_ start buying from the iBookStore? Maybe not, but I'm much more likely too now.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would keep an eye on how long the hack works. Apple tends to be more aggressive in fixing those loop holes.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I would keep an eye on how long the hack works. Apple tends to be more aggressive in fixing those loop holes.
True indeed.

Apple have updated iTunes several times to stop previous versions of Requiem working for music and video (according to the wikipedia article).
Old 02-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
True indeed.

Apple have updated iTunes several times to stop previous versions of Requiem working for music and video (according to the wikipedia article).
Is that article correct? I thought I've read on this forum multiple times that Fairplay hasn't (never has been) cracked?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote