Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #61
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
I think the bluepanther Cthulhu 2 rar contains interestings apps that can be used by a cook to get a working market!
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #62
LiKuiD
LiKuiD began at the beginning.

Device: PE
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
I think the bluepanther Cthulhu 2 rar contains interestings apps that can be used by a cook to get a working market!
What part of the market isnt working? I have a fully functioning market on my PE...doesnt seem to be any apps being filtered out that i've noticed.

Also, for reference...changing the Davlik VM heap size definetely increased the responsiveness of the device...i'm not sure why it was set to 128MB for stock, seems rather large.

New settings:

windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=150 (should help with GUI navigation/redraw)
dalvik.vm.heapsize=32m (definte performance gain)
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=160 (to help battery life)
LiKuiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #63
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiKuiD View Post
What part of the market isnt working? I have a fully functioning market on my PE...doesnt seem to be any apps being filtered out that i've noticed.
They only known way to get market working is to have another android device, he wants to find a way to make it work for everyone...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #64
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

yes, I am talking about a new rom that will enable everybody to have market, without the need do another phone or andro device.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #65
vicinc
Guru

Agreed. Nothing standard. Do you know how could I start the update.sh from adb? I am stucked with a lcd only 2.2 and can not golden update?
any idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronarq View Post
We are just changing stuff in the system2.zip

This is nothing like any android recovery I have seen. I am not sure what systems you have worked with to call this standard. Besides the fact that its called update.zip I see no similarities. There is no manifest, no signature, the structure is entirely different, the update process is all done through the update.sh shell script. It does all the flashing and everything. From what I can tell recovery just boots the basic linux ramdisk and executes the shell script.

The kernel, ramdisks, bootloader, etc are crc'd and appended to the file i believe....

Code:
#   --------------------------------------------------
#   crc32 check on image
#   - requires that image have appended crc32
#
#   arg1 : filename of image to verify
#   usage: crc_check tmp.img
#   --------------------------------------------------
crc_check ()
{
	CRC=`ubicrc32 $1`
	if [ "$CRC" == "0x00000000" ];
We could just change the update script so we could use our own image but if we hose the kernel I don't know how we would recover short of jtag. Thoughts?
Old 07-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #66
thinredline
Connoisseur
thinredline doesn't litterthinredline doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Pocket Edge, Nookd Simple Touch Glowlight, NGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiKuiD View Post
Man, this is one fun little device!

So after a few hours of messing around with it...here's where im at.

-Upgrade path was from stock 1.6 (registered) to new 2.2 firmware then rooted using z4
-Successfully setup Gmail/Market access pulling market files from DROIDX using Titanium backup
-Everything seems to be working great (Wifi/BT/eInk)...disabled screen animations and installed LauncherPro to tweak homescreen settings, much smoother now...no more lag with homescreen and app draw windows

Currently working on finding an app that will allow for underclocking the CPU...setCPU crashes on run but havnt looked at any others.

Few hours review on the device: Coming from a Gen. 1 Kindle, i'm completely satisfied with the eInk portion of the device. Screen is very legible, refresh rate is about same so it doesnt bother me. The Android portion of the device seems to be on par for a device of it's power. Screen takes a little getting used to as it's not the most responsive. I replaced the stock keyboard with SmartKeyboard and it's much more usable now. I've obtained a few books from Google Book store in ePub format and theyre working great.

Gonna try messing around with a few properties in build.prop to tweak speed...if anything improves ill post. Also looking into various builds of Skype from XDA to see if anything will end up working.

@LiKuiD, I am waiting for your tutorial (a new firmware would be better) on how to do the face lift of my PE .

Looks like now the only obstacle is how to gain Android Market access without another device.
thinredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #67
kronarq
kronarq began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
any idea on how can I un-bork my unit. I have only lcd android and update.zip with rotate/menu does not work. the adb and root is working.
You can try flashing the maintenance (recovery) ram disk. I have been all through the update script and the file is never truncated. The commands used to flash to recovery are:

WARNING BE CAREFUL! These offsets and sizes are from the update script but run at your own risk.
Code:
flash_erase /dev/mtd5 0x00100000 48
nandwrite -s 0x00100000 -p /dev/mtd5 ramdisk.maint.gz.crc

ramdisk.maint.gz.crc can be pulled from your update. You will need to get flash_erase and nandwrite on your device as they are only in the recovery. If you can't pull the binaries out of the new ramdisk let me know and I will pull them for you.

Last edited by kronarq; 07-08-2011 at 11:56 AM.
kronarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #68
kronarq
kronarq began at the beginning.

Here's the utilities.

http://kronarq.freehostingcloud.com/flash_erase
http://kronarq.freehostingcloud.com//nandwrite

and the maintenance ramdisk
http://kronarq.freehostingcloud.com/...k.maint.gz.crc

And now I am gonna get some sleep. I'll take a look at those other tablets roms and see if I have any ideas on the Market front tomorrow.

Last edited by kronarq; 07-08-2011 at 01:13 PM.
kronarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #69
vicinc
Guru

before I do this. I suppose the tools are android tools? where should I copy, under system? or anywhere on the sd card? can I do this over root adb or should i do it from busybox on the unit?
does the fact the partitions are mapped not going to bork my device even worst?
Old 07-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #70
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Possible way to install custom dictionary

There were a few questions how to install custom dictionary, Lobotom1 comes to mind.

As you can see below dictionary oxc_dictionary_eng.db installed under
/system/esi/etc/dictionaries

There are a few ways to expand on that:
- we can try simply add another one with the same structure: just one table Words
- we can substitute stock one with new one
- using adb and sqlite3 we can just (re-)populate this table with whatever info we want

Is anybody willing to expand on that?

C:\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell
$ su
su
# cd system
cd system
# cd esi
cd esi
# cd etc
cd etc
# cd dictionaries
cd dictionaries
# ls
ls
oxc_dictionary_eng.db
# sqlite3 oxc_dictionary_eng.db
sqlite3 oxc_dictionary_eng.db
SQLite version 3.6.22
Enter ".help" for instructions
Enter SQL statements terminated with a ";"
sqlite> .tables
.tables
Words android_metadata
sqlite> select count(*) from Words;
select count(*) from Words;
sqlite> .schema Words
.schema Words
CREATE TABLE Words (_id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT, word TEXT NOT NULL, h
omonym TEXT NULL, header TEXT NOT NULL, definition TEXT NOT NULL, phrases TEXT N
ULL, phrasal_verbs TEXT NULL, derivatives TEXT NULL, usage_notes TEXT NULL);
sqlite> select * from Words where word="yes";
select * from Words where word="yes";
73694|yes||<b>yes</b> <arsp>/yes/</arsp> |▶<b>exclam.</b> <b>1. </b>used
to give an affirmative response: <i>"Do you understand?" "Yes.&#0
34;</i> ■ expressing agreement with a positive statement just made: <i>&#0
34;That was a grand evening." "Yes, it was."</i> ■ expressi
ng contradiction of a negative statement: <i>"You don't want to go." &
#034;Yes, I do."</i> <b>2. </b>used as a response to someone addressing one
or otherwise trying to attract one's attention: <i>"Oh, Bob." "Y
es?"</i> <b>3. </b>used to question a remark or ask for more detail about i
t: <i>"It should be easy to check." "Oh yes? How?"</i> σ
2; asked at the end of a statement to indicate the expectation of agreement: <i>
you think I lied, yes?</i> <b>4. </b>encouraging someone to continue speaking: <
i>"When you bought those photographs …" "Yes?"</i> <b>5
. </b>expressing delight: <i>plenty to eat, including pie (yes!).</i> ▶<b>
n.</b> (pl. <b>yes•es</b> or <b>yes•ses</b>) an affirmative answer or
decision, esp. in voting. [OE <i>gēse</i>, <i>gīse</i>, prob. from an
unrecorded phr. meaning ‘may it be so.’]||||
sqlite> ^C
C:\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>

Last edited by ptsenter; 07-08-2011 at 04:11 PM.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #71
Misfit410
Misfit410 began at the beginning.

I got my pocket edge today from woot, installed this firmware and it went on fine, tried everything I could to get some sort of google app to work with no luck (not connecting to google servers).. tried rooting it with Z4Root as suggested and, wow, think I may have bricked this puppy to an extent, I can drop an update.zip onto the card and get it to do a software update (tried reinstalling this 2.2 update), but it just hangs on the final stage of bootup flashing POCKET EDGE with 4 loading dots.. anyone had a similar issue and have any suggestions of what I can try?
Misfit410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #72
vicinc
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit410 View Post
I got my pocket edge today from woot, installed this firmware and it went on fine, tried everything I could to get some sort of google app to work with no luck (not connecting to google servers).. tried rooting it with Z4Root as suggested and, wow, think I may have bricked this puppy to an extent, I can drop an update.zip onto the card and get it to do a software update (tried reinstalling this 2.2 update), but it just hangs on the final stage of bootup flashing POCKET EDGE with 4 loading dots.. anyone had a similar issue and have any suggestions of what I can try?
DO GOLDEN UPDATE TWICE
Old 07-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #73
Misfit410

Forgive me for the noobish question but, what is golden update?

Nevermind, sorry, finally finished reading the other thread and found that answer, thanks.

Last edited by Misfit410; 07-08-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #74
vicinc
Guru

did it worked?
Old 07-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #75
Misfit410

Quote:
did it worked?
Just finished doing it, indeed it did work, thanks so much.
left the files at work on my work computer, and now this dropbox account has exceeded it's limit, so looks like I'll have to go with the original beta for now.