Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2008, 08:16 AM   #31
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
Yep, looking at the video review, it seems like a very good product.
Maybe if it had come earlier I might have bought it instead of my Cybook.
Now, after getting used to a crystal clear screen, I don't think I would make the jump without some extensive testing first.
i confess i'm a bit worried about the screen... and worried also that sony will make a 705 only one year from now with all the good features of the 700, plus the screen of the 505... but i think the ergonomy is really important in a liseuse as well and that plus the other added features of the 700 bring it much closer to my eb1150 (which i love, despite its flaws) than any other current model. this is why i think i'll take the chance... i hope i'm not too disappointed !

if i get it, i'll show it to you at the next apéro in january.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:02 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given the fact that Sony have released a new device every autumn for the last three years, the expectation that there will another one next autumn too is a very reasonable one .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2008, 10:33 AM   #33
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i confess i'm a bit worried about the screen... and worried also that sony will make a 705 only one year from now with all the good features of the 700, plus the screen of the 505... but i think the ergonomy is really important in a liseuse as well and that plus the other added features of the 700 bring it much closer to my eb1150 (which i love, despite its flaws) than any other current model. this is why i think i'll take the chance... i hope i'm not too disappointed !

if i get it, i'll show it to you at the next apéro in january.
Actually as a former very satified owner of Ebk1150 - I just moved on to the 770, but my father in law still loves the Ebk - I have to say that yes, the 700 can be viewed as a much improved version. It is almost as fast and the touch has more options, though I miss the previous book button

It is very nice outside - I read 2 hours easily outside, true, winter and all, so the sun was not that strong so I cannot say how it will look in the summer but I expect to be nice. Did not really notice glare - it may be some, but not annoying so far at least .

In bright indoor light it looks also very nice, while in dimmer light it needs the sidelights, but I love those, they give an "eerie" feeling to reading which at night is quite nice.

I cannot say that there are conditions in which I can comfortably read a paper book without light and not read on the 700 without light. True in dim light, paper is crisper, but it's still not that comfortable to read at least for me, so I would still some bright light.

It's hard to say after all the people trashing the 700, but personally I think that the difference in speed/ergonomics between the 700 and 505 is so huge and for me having paper-like display is not that important since after all I still can and do read print books happily.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #34
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
Actually as a former very satified owner of Ebk1150 - I just moved on to the 770, but my father in law still loves the Ebk - I have to say that yes, the 700 can be viewed as a much improved version. It is almost as fast and the touch has more options, though I miss the previous book button

It is very nice outside - I read 2 hours easily outside, true, winter and all, so the sun was not that strong so I cannot say how it will look in the summer but I expect to be nice. Did not really notice glare - it may be some, but not annoying so far at least .

In bright indoor light it looks also very nice, while in dimmer light it needs the sidelights, but I love those, they give an "eerie" feeling to reading which at night is quite nice.

I cannot say that there are conditions in which I can comfortably read a paper book without light and not read on the 700 without light. True in dim light, paper is crisper, but it's still not that comfortable to read at least for me, so I would still some bright light.

It's hard to say after all the people trashing the 700, but personally I think that the difference in speed/ergonomics between the 700 and 505 is so huge and for me having paper-like display is not that important since after all I still can and do read print books happily.
thank you so much for that information !!! it's the first time i hear a direct comparison between the eb1150 and the sony 700 (not surprising, right ? why would somebody compare two such different liseuses ? ) and i feel really much more encouraged now. i do place a lot of importance on the display and i am disappointed that the 700 is inferior to the 550 for that, but i've really noticed that despite the terrible screen of my eb1150 i still find it very comfortable and agreeable to use, because of the ergonomy. this seems to be a somewhat neglected factor sometimes !

so, i think i've made up my mind.

probably, if sony does make a 750 next year with a better display, i'll try to sell my 700 and buy the new one. but i'll be glad to have it for this year, i think.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #35
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
however, if i find that the 700 doesn't suit me, i will try to sell it and probably buy a 505 instead.
Wait.. am I reading this right? Miss Zelda is getting a 700? I thought you were seduced by that free CyBook you had.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2008, 10:50 AM   #36
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Wait.. am I reading this right? Miss Zelda is getting a 700? I thought you were seduced by that free CyBook you had.

BOb
it's only free until i have to give it back. and actually i really do like it, and i think bookeen is going to continue to do some really great things. but the new features on the sony 700 bring it much closer to my eb1150, which is naturally my gold standard for liseuses. also, i can get the sony in dollars (in fact, i *have* to get it in dollars), of which i have some left over from previous travel, which are not worth being changed into euros (very bad exchange rate at the moment). this means i can get it without spending any "real" money, whereas if i bought (for example) a cybook, i would have to spend actual real euros from my bank account which could technically be spent on food and rent and such. you see the dilemma.

of course, i might still change my mind. i'm notoriously indecisive.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #37
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
but the new features on the sony 700 bring it much closer to my eb1150, which is naturally my gold standard for liseuses.
Many people complain about the screen of the 700 and I agree that compared to 505 it is not so crisp - though to my mind it preserves the eink feel and characteristics - but if you used the Ebk1150, you will have a hard time to use a machine so comparatively slow as the 505.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #38
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
Many people complain about the screen of the 700 and I agree that compared to 505 it is not so crisp - though to my mind it preserves the eink feel and characteristics - but if you used the Ebk1150, you will have a hard time to use a machine so comparatively slow as the 505.
honestly, i've used the cybook, which i imagine is about the same speed as the 505, and i don't mind the comparative slowness very much when reading (maybe a bit more when navigating in my library...). it's more a question of ergonomy, and features which i use on my eb1150 which aren't available on another liseuse (search, annotation, etc.).
Old 11-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #39
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
liseuse
??
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #40
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
??
liseuse : generic term for an electronic reading device. prettier than "device". less controversial than "ereader" (or rather, possibly equally controversial, depending on who you ask, but in a different way).
Old 11-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #41
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
liseuse : generic term for an electronic reading device. prettier than "device". less controversial than "ereader" (or rather, possibly equally controversial, depending on who you ask, but in a different way).
It is not in English, is it?
It is not web/geek slang.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #42
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Yes, it's zelda-speek.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:22 PM   #43
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Yes, it's zelda-speek.
I thought so
Old 11-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #44
zelda_pinwheel

technically it's french.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:56 PM   #45
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Heh, just wait until GW starts pronouncing it as "lais:uz"

Last edited by Sonist; 11-14-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote