Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
Zeusdafreak
Zeusdafreak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle
Mobi to Original_mobi Questions

I have all mobi files and I have read I must remove the "personal doc tag" from the mobi file to get this to show up in the BOOKS tab of the Kindle Fire instead of DOCUMENTS tab. I tried this with a few books and it works fine but:

In converting from mobi to mobi to remove the personal doc tag it creates an additional original_mobi file. I understand that this preserves the original file just in case but it will double the size of my library. If I delte the mobi file and keep the new original_mobi file then I will end up with all original_mobi files from now on correct?

Is this the recommended method for getting my mobi library to show up in the right place on the Kindle Fire and is this a good plan of proceeding to get there? Its going to take A LONG time to convert my entire library to then go back and remove the mobi file to save space.
Zeusdafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeusdafreak View Post
If I delte the mobi file and keep the new original_mobi file then I will end up with all original_mobi files from now on correct?
If you delete the Mobi file then you end up back where you started. The original_mobi file isn't new it is the file before conversion in case the conversion screwed up your book. The Mobi file is the "new" after conversion book.

Quote:
Its going to take A LONG time to convert my entire library to then go back and remove the mobi file to save space.
If you want to save space and are happy with the new "Mobi" file you can easily select all, go to edit metadata window and delete the "original_mobi" file using the Remove format dropdown selection and choosing to remove the original_mobi format.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-04-2011 at 11:29 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #3
Zeusdafreak

Oh ok. I had it backwards. I was wondering about having all those original_mobi files. It makes more sense to me now that you have explained it. I am so glad I asked the question now. I would have spent days converting my 8000+ mobi books and then I would have deleted the wrong file and went back to square one!

So I convert them all again from mobi to mobi to remove the personal doc tag. This will give me three files, the mobi, the original_mobi and an opf file in the folder. I then delete the ORIGINAL_MOBI that is there using the bulk metadata removal and I am done right? Also what about the metafile.opf? I assume this file contains the new information and should be left untouched?
Old 12-04-2011, 11:55 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Oh ok. I had it backwards. I was wondering about having all those original_mobi files. It makes more sense to me now that you have explained it. I am so glad I asked the question now. I would have spent days converting my 8000+ mobi books and then I would have deleted the wrong file and went back to square one!

So I convert them all again from mobi to mobi to remove the personal doc tag. This will give me three files, the mobi, the original_mobi and an opf file in the folder. I then delete the ORIGINAL_MOBI that is there using the bulk metadata removal and I am done right? Also what about the metafile.opf? I assume this file contains the new information and should be left untouched?
If you can see that, you are peeking under the skirts
That file is the backup of the line item in your DB and will be used to recover from the actual Library folders if needed.

There should have been a Cover there also.

But bottom line: messing with files there can damage your Library. The GUI can do all that is normally needed.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
Zeusdafreak

I understand. Thanks. Yes there is also a cover file there too. I was just trying to clean it up but now I see that all those options are there. Its just learning where they are and what they do. I will keep reading. I want to be ready for Christmas. I got my wife a Kindle Fire and I want the books to be ready for loading ahead of time. I also share and didn't want a bulky library of pdf's, etc. for my friends who are also Kindle owners..........I promise to stop looking under the skirts so much. Lol!
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I understand. Thanks. Yes there is also a cover file there too. I was just trying to clean it up but now I see that all those options are there. Its just learning where they are and what they do. I will keep reading. I want to be ready for Christmas. I got my wife a Kindle Fire and I want the books to be ready for loading ahead of time. I also share and didn't want a bulky library of pdf's, etc. for my friends who are also Kindle owners..........I promise to stop looking under the skirts so much. Lol!
Regardless of what formats are in your Library, The device driver controls which FORMAT gets sent to a particular device.
Your Library could contain a half-a-dozen formats of a single book, but Mobi will be what is sent to the KF.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote