Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
Lago
Connoisseur
Lago doesn't litterLago doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150, REB1200, PRS-600
how to backup Kindle books before re-registering

thats my question, i have a buddy thats giving me his K1, but would like to salvage his books before i re-register it. as he will be WAAAAAAAYYYYY out of town for quite a while, he just wants to burn them to a cd or something.

so, how can i go about this.. the reader will be for my mom afterward..
Lago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
All you have to do is hook it up to your computer through USB and copy over the "documents" folder.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
halfgone
halfgone began at the beginning.

Device: none
Isn't there some sort of DRM that will prevent that from working? I don't have a Kindle, but I want to get one and I thought it would prevent you from doing that like an iPod would prevent you from taking mp3s off.
halfgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
You can take them off and back them up however you want, but you can only open them on the original device. Unless you strip the DRM of course.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
Copying the documents folder to the computer will work for any non-DRMed books he has. For books he has bought from Amazon, he doesn't have to do anything to back them up. If he wants to read them on another kindle (for instance if he is buying a Kindle 2) or iPhone or Kindle for PC, etc. He just connects to his Amazon account from that new device and downloads the books. When a book is downloaded from Amazon it is keyed to only work on that device, so if he copied Amazon books from a K1 to a new K2 for instance, it wouldn't work.
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
RickD
Time Traveler
RickD began at the beginning.

Device: Iliiad or Kindle DX
If he unregisters the device, then gives it to you... you will not be able to read the material purchased from Amazon. Public Domain and other non-drmed files will still be readable.

It's not the device specifically, but a combination of the device and the user's account.

For instance, my wife and I both have Kindles (Mine is a DX, her's is a Kindle 2) and we can not read each other's books on our respective Kindles. If I were to de-register my kindle, the books I've bought from Amazon remain with my Amazon account so that I could put them on a new device later on, but she can't read them. Period.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
Lago
Connoisseur
Lago doesn't litterLago doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150, REB1200, PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD View Post
If he unregisters the device, then gives it to you... you will not be able to read the material purchased from Amazon. Public Domain and other non-drmed files will still be readable.

It's not the device specifically, but a combination of the device and the user's account.

For instance, my wife and I both have Kindles (Mine is a DX, her's is a Kindle 2) and we can not read each other's books on our respective Kindles. If I were to de-register my kindle, the books I've bought from Amazon remain with my Amazon account so that I could put them on a new device later on, but she can't read them. Period.
thing is, he's not planning on getting another kindle. he wants a sony.
Lago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Just copy over the entire documents folder. The books will still work once you reregister the Kindle.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lago View Post
thing is, he's not planning on getting another kindle. he wants a sony.
The only way for him to be able to read the books he bought at Amazon on his new Sony would be for him to find and use scripts that break the DRM, and then convert them to ePub.
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
nancyl
nancyl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
RickD, you and your wife must have separate Amazon accounts, because up to 6 people on the same Amazon account can share e-books on their Kindles.
nancyl is offline   Reply With Quote