Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
HP, Amazon to sell paperback versions of e-books

"Some of technology's best-known companies are betting there's pent-up demand for on-demand books.

Hewlett-Packard Co., the world's top seller of personal computers and printers, is teaming up with online retailer Amazon.com Inc. to challenge Internet search leader Google Inc. in the quirky new market of re-creating digital books as paperbacks...."

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/200910...k_publishing_1
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #2
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The sheer unbridled stupidity of seemingly every company in the eBook market seems to be rising to new and incredulous levels.

No publisher or eBook company seems to have either the intelligence of the competence to actually prepare eBooks that even remotely approach professional quality, and now Amazon is going to take that garbage as the basis of paper books?

The only way to further improve on this idea is to smear a little marmalade (or some not-marmalade) on the pages prior to shipment.

This is the stupidest thing I have read in a long time... unless, and this seems unlikely, the books are to be based exclusively on professionally prepared Adobe Digital Editions PDF files.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
This is the stupidest thing I have read in a long time... unless, and this seems unlikely, the books are to be based exclusively on professionally prepared Adobe Digital Editions PDF files.
Professionally ? Well, i doubt they do better better a editing pdf than ePub.
Tough, yeah, pdf can be used there. THIS is what pdf is meant for, not to read on e-reader.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Can you just visualize a Topaz book on paper??
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Err... It's just a POD from scans of books.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-19882_3-10379830-250.html

I expect it will only be useful for researchers who can't access that library, and prefer a paper edition to an ebook. I don't really the problem, I expect Google will do very similar things (or who knows, maybe use HP's system) once the Google Books Settlement gets ironed out.

I assume they are currently just doing the public domain books. I'm a little surprised Amazon is involved, since last I heard they were strong-arming people to use their own POD services.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
The sheer unbridled stupidity of seemingly every company in the eBook market seems to be rising to new and incredulous levels.

<...>

Since the article states HP is making print versions from high quality university scans of out of copyright books, I fail to see where ebooks come into it.

If the scans are in fact good, what you'll get is a facsimile of the original printed book, and the quality will be as good as the scan.

I would love to see ebook publishers starting from scans of printed books do elementary proofreading and cleanup before generating the ebook version (*cough* Amazon Kindle edition *cough* ), but that's not a factor here.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
For a second there I had the horrible thought of poor ebooks turning back into print then turning back into ebooks, degenerating into a mess hehe. But these printed works seem to be for a niche audience, people looking for works which have been out of print for many years.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
For a second there I had the horrible thought of poor ebooks turning back into print then turning back into ebooks, degenerating into a mess hehe. But these printed works seem to be for a niche audience, people looking for works which have been out of print for many years.
That niche audience is fairly large. I know one chap in California who makes a good living, thank you, doing print on demand versions of Gutenberg titles. He grabs the text, typesets, creates covers, and sends them off for POD reproduction, and collects the proceeds on what people buy. What people do buy is a crap shoot, and he can never really guess which titles will actually sell, but since it's POD, the main upfront cost is the effort of creating the files books will be printed from. What sells, sells. What doesn't isn't a factor, as it isn't manufactured unless there's an order for it.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote