Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-31-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Backup notes & restore

How does one backup the notes stored on the PRS-700? And how does one restore them after erasing the PRS-700?

I use Calibre to manage my library and transfer books to the PRS-700. Once in a while I may need to format the PRS-700 and before I do that I'd like to backup the notes and then later restore them after I copy the books from Calibre to the PRS-700.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow! So no one really knows eh? Hmm...I guess not many people really use their PRS-700 to mark up their books presumably because most are reading for leisure?
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the notes are stored in an XML file on your reader. I can't recall if its media.xml or another XML file. As for restoring them, that's non-trivial
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:23 PM   #4
ddave
Enthusiast
ddave began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can we copy the file to a computer and extract / copy the comments into a PC document or text file?
ddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:06 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yeah you can, XML files are just simple text files, so you can open them in a text editor
Advert
Old 04-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
the notes are stored in an XML file on your reader. I can't recall if its media.xml or another XML file. As for restoring them, that's non-trivial
Oh wow!

So imagine...
let's say I copy the .XML file to my hard drive, then I erase the memory of the PRS-700. Then, I use calibre copy the books to the PRS-700. I also manually copy (drag) the .XML file to the appropriate folder on the PRS-700.

Will this method work for restoring the links between the notes and the actual books?
Old 04-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddave View Post
Can we copy the file to a computer and extract / copy the comments into a PC document or text file?
The problem is that annotations are often not useful when read out-of-context of the main text. It's like reading just the footnotes of a book without realising what it's referring to. Not useful in many cases.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:49 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
Oh wow!

So imagine...
let's say I copy the .XML file to my hard drive, then I erase the memory of the PRS-700. Then, I use calibre copy the books to the PRS-700. I also manually copy (drag) the .XML file to the appropriate folder on the PRS-700.

Will this method work for restoring the links between the notes and the actual books?
Most probably not, since IIRC it uses id numbers to establish the link and these will change when you re-upload
Old 04-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Most probably not, since IIRC it uses id numbers to establish the link and these will change when you re-upload
Oh dear...
Old 04-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #10
kitlaan
kitlaan began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
I think as long as you don't change the book and it's location, it should still work. The "cacheExt.xml" file seems to associate the notes by the path to the book. (Even if the path changes, you may be able to modify the XML file to match.)

I'll add this to my list of things to experiment with in the future.
kitlaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #11
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitlaan View Post
I think as long as you don't change the book and it's location, it should still work. The "cacheExt.xml" file seems to associate the notes by the path to the book. (Even if the path changes, you may be able to modify the XML file to match.)

I'll add this to my list of things to experiment with in the future.
It'll be great if you could experiment it because I already have a significant amount of notes with one book I'm reading and dare not experiment with it!