Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-21-2008, 04:24 AM   #1
sam1am
Enthusiast
sam1am began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Calibre Won't Start - OS X Leopard 10.5.4

Calibre has been working fine up until today - I can no longer get it to start.

I see these two entries in my console log:

Code:
7/21/08 2:19:55 AM [0x0-0x1c01c].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[145] Couldn't resolve property: linearGradient5167 
7/21/08 2:20:02 AM com.apple.launchd[69] ([0x0-0x1c01c].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[145]) Exited abnormally: Bus error
I have tried deleting the prs500 file from usr/bin, removing the library database from my home directory, and re-downloading calibre. Nothing seems to help.

At first it wouldn't even open the GUI for a second. Once I unmount the reader, the gui will load for a few seconds, freeze, and then crash.

I do not see a way to run in debug mode on OS X.

Any ideas?
sam1am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:47 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
See http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/ticket/809
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
sam1am
Enthusiast

That was one of the first things I thought to try too, but no luck. I can get it to the point where I no longer get the bus error, but I still get the other error:

Code:
7/21/08 11:22:36 AM [0x0-0x2c02c].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[357] Couldn't resolve property: linearGradient5167
Here is a crash report: http://nopaste.de/p/aIyZrJjBM

edit: Nevermind, I still get the bus error.

Last edited by sam1am; 07-21-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

couldn't resolve property is not an error, its a warning and can be ignored (ir relates to rendering of SVG files). Try a re-install.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
sam1am
Enthusiast

Still no luck. I deleted calibre.app, and everything related to it in usr/bin. I didn't see anything in ~/Library/Application Support or ~/Library/Preferences to delete. Did I miss something else needed to do a complete uninstall? Where are the user preferences stored?

edit: I should also note that I got rid of my library1.db file.

Last edited by sam1am; 07-22-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Advert
Old 07-22-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Code:
rm .config/kovidgoyal.net/calibre*.ini
Old 07-23-2008, 03:09 AM   #7
sam1am
Enthusiast

Man this sucks - I've tried EVERYTHING I could think of. I went through again and deleted every reference to calibre, prs500/505, libraries, the .ini file, etc. etc. I deleted the app, the database, and checked twice to make sure everything was gone.

Re-download. It runs for about 5 seconds, freezes for a few seconds, than crashes. I replace the libfontconfig file and same thing.

I'm at the end of my rope. I love this software more than the Sony software but I just can't get it working anymore!

It should be noted that I am running on a fresh install of Leopard 10.5.4. I reinstalled last week and have barely touched anything since.

So is there anything else to try?
Old 07-23-2008, 04:04 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Post the output you see in the console when it crashes (you can start the console from finder)
Old 07-23-2008, 04:26 AM   #9
sam1am
Enthusiast

Code:
7/23/08 2:24:21 AM com.apple.launchd[97] ([0x0-0x43043].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[419]) Exited abnormally: Bus error
That is the only entry from the console log related to calibre. I also posted the crash report above. Thanks for looking into it.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm looking at the crash report it definitely seems to be fontconfig related. I'll look into it, try the next release, it will have some changes.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:30 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

just to confirm, you're on a 64 bit machine right?
Old 07-23-2008, 12:38 PM   #12
sam1am
Enthusiast

It's an intel core duo - which I believe is 64 bit, yes.

edit: Oh wait, according to wikipedia only the core 2 duo is 64 bit. So I guess mine is 32 bit.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

OK try this build http://theory.caltech.edu/~kovid/calibre-0.4.79.dmg
Old 07-23-2008, 05:47 PM   #14
sam1am
Enthusiast

You're a genius man! It works great.

Asked for my password again, even though the libraries were still installed, so presumably it was reinstalling them or something. What was the change?
Old 07-23-2008, 10:20 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

new command lit2oeb