Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
e-enker
e-enker began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
iliad for websites

Hi,

is it possible to use the iliad to display websites from the net?

I dont need it to surf the web in general, I would need it for one particular site which is text only, but it does have a drop down menu though.
It would be cool also if I could write and read emails on the iliad, but thats not so important.
Maybe its possible to put a linux system on it?

If you have any suggestions or ideas, please do post, it would be just awsome if I could use an iliad or another epaper device to display text sites.

'Thanks for any posts!

Last edited by e-enker; 08-19-2008 at 04:16 PM.
e-enker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There are several web browsers available for the iLiad, which has a touch screen so the drop down menu should not be a problem. If the web site is open to everyone, post its address and we can try it out for you. Normally, text (e.g. web addresses) are typed on the on-screen virtual keyboard using the stylus, but it is also possible to attach a real keyboard via USB.

Available browsers: Minimo Installer for the iLiad (beta), dillo web browser for the iliad and elinks text-based web browser (like lynx). All are included in the wiki software list.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Also, don't forget about Webkit.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
Is there one particular browser that works especially well with BooksOnBoard or MobiPocket for downloading books or RSS feeds from these sites? Is that even possible? Do they all use Wifi or are some only restricted to using an Ethernet connection? Thank you
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
e-enker: I would suggest you use Webkit or Minomo. You will need the developer's package from iRex. The Minimo and dillo threads have scripts and directions for opening your internet connection so that you can use the browser.

timezone: For RSS feeds, see iNewsStand. I haven't bought anything from BoB or Mobipocket yet, so I don't know about them.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2008, 04:58 AM   #6
e-enker

Thank you very much for all the information.

Thanks also for the great offer to try out the website for me, unfortunately its only accessible with a password.

Ill have all the links checked out, if this really works then that would be the best thing in the world for me.
Ill get back to this forum when I know more. Cheers!
Old 08-08-2008, 06:04 AM   #7
e-enker

Would I have to simply download the minimo installer from this website and put it on the internal memory of the iliad to run it, or is there more to it to install it?
Which browser is best for the iliad, minimo,dillo, elinks?

Last edited by e-enker; 08-08-2008 at 06:26 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #8
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
You will need either a wireles or wired connection to use the internet. You will need to use the connections scripts that come with most of the browsers, and also request developer access from iRex's site.

I personally prefer Midori for web browsing (although I don't do it very often). It really depends on the website you are visiting and how fast it displays on the iLiad.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:33 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
You will need either a wireles or wired connection to use the internet.
The iLiad v2 has WiFi and a wired connection, although the latter is via the travel hub. The iLiad Book Edition does not have WiFi, only the wired option through the travel hub.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #10
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I personally prefer Midori for web browsing (although I don't do it very often). It really depends on the website you are visiting and how fast it displays on the iLiad.
I have a couple of questions. Why do you prefer Midori? Is it just a personal preference or something about the browser that makes it better than the others? Do you need command line access to run the connection script? Or is there a button on the browser that kicks off the script? Thanks
Old 08-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #11
e-enker

Where can I get the midori browser from?
Old 08-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #12
e-enker

I read that the dillo browser doesnt support http addresses, do the other browsers support https?
Do they support popups like messages or so too?
Old 08-10-2008, 04:24 PM   #13
timezone
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-enker View Post
Where can I get the midori browser from?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=13

I haven't tried it yet but there is a zip file on the page. From Adam B's own admission this browser is really raw. It may eventually be the better choice but for regular use you may want to try one of the other browsers that might have a few more upgrades under its belt.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #14
e-enker

Thanks for the answer and the link, timezone. Does anyone know if https work with one of the browsers for the iliad?
Old 08-16-2008, 03:54 PM   #15
e-enker

One last post before I let this thread go...about the http thing...
The email account after logging in to an email provider is purely http:, does the midori or minimo support that?

Also the sites on this forum like http://projects.mobileread.com or so...can you display them on the iliad?

I just need to know that because the instructions for the dillo browser say it cant show https, so do the other browsers support this?
Can one use the same connection script for all the browsers for the iliad?