Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
LaGringa
Enthusiast
LaGringa began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
Calibre freezing

I was having a problem with Calibre freezing today so I updated to 8.64 (from 8.62). Unfortunately, now it is freezing every time. I select a book, click "Edit Metadata" and it totally freezes. I uninstalled and then reinstalled 8.64 again with the same results. I have to use Task Manager to shut it down.

I saw in another thread about running calibre -g (or something like that, sorry I don't remember exactly what it was) so I did that and this is the result:

calibre, version 0.8.64
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>IOError</b>:[Errno 22] Invalid argument

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\cover_flow.py", line 88, in image
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 539, in cover
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 745, in cover
IOError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument

I have no idea what this means. Can anyone help?

Thank you.

PS. I have Windows 7, haven't made any changes in a long time and haven't had any previous problems with Calibre before today.
LaGringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That error indicates there is something wrong with your calibre library folder. I I suggest excluding it from your antivirus or rename it so that calibre creates a new empty folder then next time it is started.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2012, 01:50 AM   #3
LaGringa
Enthusiast

I have the new empty folder but I don't know what to do with it. How do I get the books into the new folder? I'm sure that is a stupid question!
Old 08-16-2012, 01:59 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

right click the add books button and choose the add books from folder (one book per folder) option, then select your old library folder.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
LaGringa
Enthusiast

I did as you said and allowed Calibre to set up a new library but it was missing my user columns. Should I have created the new library and selected "use current structure" and then added the books? I have about 3,000 books so it took quite awhile to add them.

(I had an accident yesterday and it is very difficult to type, so I'm going to abbreviate Calibre with C an Library with L.)

Oddly, yesterday I tried again to work on updating metadata for the old renamed L and it had no problems for several hours, but today it is back to freezing again. It happens when I click "edit metadata" or sometimes even when I just select a book. It freezes for a solid 5 minutes whether I wait for it to recover, try to close with the X, or use Task Manager. In the meantime, my computer is almost unusable (slow).

I uninstalled C, downloaded 8.65 and installed it. Same thing, excepr new error messagw:

calibre, version 0.8.65
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>IOError</b>:[Errno 22] Invalid argument

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 377, in current_changed
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 368, in get_book_display_info
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 539, in cover
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 745, in cover
IOError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument

I have another smaller L (500 books) and was able to edit metadata for those books wirhout freezing.

I have set up a new L using my current structure. Should I go ahead and add my books as you explained yesrerday o does this new error message indicate a differenr problem?

Thsnks for your help and sorry about the typos.
Advert
Old 08-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That's the same error message as before. So go ahead and migrate your books.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #7
LaGringa
Enthusiast

I added the books and worked for several hours adding meadata in the new library with no problems. Then it froze again wirh the same error message.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Exclude the calibre library from your antivirus program or disable your antivirus program.