Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 10-31-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
problem when reading a modified ePub

FYI if you edit an ePub doc with any tool such as "Sigil" and save the doc without renaming it you may experience this problem if the doc already resides in your reader and you have opened it.

I decided to add a TOC and adjust some formatting to an ePub book I already had on my jb. I saved it under the same name and overlaid it. No problem.
When I opened it. I had opened the pre-edit copy and had paged through it. When the new version was opened it opened to the spot in the book that I was at when it closed. I started paging through it and could not find my updates (TOC included). I did a delete of all "Recent Read" books. The problem still continued. I did a power off/on and still had the problem.

It wasn't until I did a reset and cold boot that I was able to see the revised version with the updates and TOC.

It appears that the unit keeps a working copy of your open docs in a work space in internal memory. When you do a reset this workspace gets flushed.
If the new version was given a different name this problem probably wouldn't have occurred.

Something to keep in mind.

Last edited by jlg432; 10-31-2010 at 11:16 PM.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why not delete the original copy and open a different book then put the new copy witht he old name on and see how it goes?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Helpful tips:

Always use an SD card for your books.
Always turn on the jetbook and then remove the card so the jetbook knows it.
Edit the files on the card.
Always turn back on the jetbook and re-insert the card so the jetbook knows it.

Now you have no lock up problems.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg432 View Post
It appears that the unit keeps a working copy of your open docs in a work space in internal memory. When you do a reset this workspace gets flushed.
If the new version was given a different name this problem probably wouldn't have occurred.

Something to keep in mind.
I had something similar happen but did not use reset. I had used Calibre to convert a pdf of a short story to epub and loaded it on the SD card. When I started reading it on the JBL, I noticed errors, so I exploded the epub and made corrections, and overwrote the file on the SD and reloaded it. But the JBL persisted in showing me the uncorrected version. I finally renamed the new version and loaded it on the card, and it showed up correctly. Then I deleted the old version, removed the card once again to rename the file back to the original name, and all was fine.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
smg927
Enthusiast
smg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Jetbook
Quote:
Always use an SD card for your books.
Always turn on the jetbook and then remove the card so the jetbook knows it.
Edit the files on the card.
Always turn back on the jetbook and re-insert the card so the jetbook knows it.
I want to add something to the helpful tips given by steven522:

Always turn the jetbook on, use the cancel key to return the jetbook to the main menu and then remove the card so the jetbook knows it.
smg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg927 View Post
use the cancel key to return the jetbook to the main menu
You're right. I just assumed everyone would back out of their currently-being-read book before attempting anything like that.

... and you know what happens when you assUme.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

I was reporting an observation that I had made while working on adding TOC to an ePub file using Sigil. Note: All files reside on a 8 gig SDHC card.

The problem or issue was - if you overlay an existing e-book that has been opened and browsed (in your e-reader)with a copy that has been modified either format or wording it is very possible that you will not see the changes until you do either a card removal/insert (while the device is powered on) or a reset.

I believe that the e-reader keeps a portion of all open books in a work space or it keeps it's buffer content between power off/on (Sleep/Active) along with a log of open book locations.

If you overlay an opened e-book with one that has been modified you will not see the changes until you force the device to flush it's buffers by either doing a reset or sd(HC) card removal/insert while powered up.

Then you will see the changes on re-opening the e-book. You do not lose your open page location as that log is not affected by reset or card removal/insertion.

Clearing "Recent readings" does not impact this as well.

Backing out of the e-book as well has no impact on this issue.

Although I discovered this while working on an ePub file it is also relevant to all e-book formats. It is the way the e-reader works.

Yes I could have renamed the modified file and not discovered this issue until another time.

The problem is not one of the file not being read from the card on opening an opened e-book.

The problem is one of an old cache or buffer being accessed.

John

Last edited by jlg432; 11-07-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
jlg432
Addict

IMO and upon doing it several times. I did not experience any difference between removing the SD(HC) card while in an open e-book, or in an author directory.

The important aspect is to follow the waring that states "Not to insert/remove the card while it re-indexes it's self. Once it has adjusted to the change you can then go ahead and use the device.

You will also find that your location within that open e-book was not lost or corrupted when doing this. At least it has never happend to me. I guess the device logs all this info on it happening such as page changes, font sizes etc.

I run FW 35M on a JB. My ALP works the same way.
I use Micro Soft's Free SyncToy to sync both my JB's and ALP's sdHC cards to my Master Library on my Netbook. Initial SDHC card setup was done via a card reader. Each card labeled to indicate the resident device ie: JB-SDHC1

John

Last edited by jlg432; 11-07-2010 at 10:35 AM.