Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Blank lines between paragraphs?

In OpenInkpot can I format the line spacing to get a blank line between paragraphs similar to what I get automatically (seemingly) in Mobipocket?
Old 11-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
It should be possible with styles in FBreader. Have a look at FBreader site, there was some documentation regarding it.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:59 PM   #3
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
It should be possible with styles in FBreader. Have a look at FBreader site, there was some documentation regarding it.
Thanks. Will take a look at that site.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Dottedmag: I checked the FBReader site but was unable to learn how to put a space line between paragraphs. I have FBReader installed on my Nokia N800 internet tablet, and have used it to read ebooks successfully for years, before moving up to my present BeBook reader. In the FBReader application on my N800, under Preferences/Format, there are options for setting spaces either before or after paragraphs (or both, whatever that may be). But I don't know how to access this preference function in the FBReader on OpenInkpot. Any further ideas or suggestions? Many thanks.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
Avistew
Avistew began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Does anyone know how to REMOVE blank lines between paragraphs? I have that in lots of my lrf files and it drives me crazy.
So far the only think that worked was converting my lrf files to html then back. But it also removes blank lines after titles and stuff, is there any way to manually edit the files?
Old 11-23-2009, 03:36 AM   #6
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
In the FBReader application on my N800, under Preferences/Format, there are options for setting spaces either before or after paragraphs (or both, whatever that may be). But I don't know how to access this preference function in the FBReader on OpenInkpot.
Using SSH, I think and manually editing preferences file. Though I don't know exact format of FBReader configuration file.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Using SSH, I think and manually editing preferences file. Though I don't know exact format of FBReader configuration file.
Well, I was able to access the FBReader program in OI by using SSH, but even though I've done some Linux application editing in the past, editing this is beyond my capabilities. I suppose I could copy the relevant areas of the FBReader N800 application, if I could even access it, which I don't know how to do So, I'm giving up for now.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Well, I was able to access the FBReader program in OI by using SSH, but even though I've done some Linux application editing in the past, editing this is beyond my capabilities. I suppose I could copy the relevant areas of the FBReader N800 application, if I could even access it, which I don't know how to do So, I'm giving up for now.
Rather than begin a new thread, and call possibly undue further attention to my plight and frustration, let me add the following thoughts:

OpenInkpot is a wonderful and highly successful endeavor, though still evolving yet arguably coming ever closer to virtual perfection. But it is apparently the only porting for FBReader to BeBook and other HanLin readers. I can download from the FBReader site adaptations for the Windows PC, for the Nokia N800 (which I have used for years) and the iLiad ebook reader. All those portings (which I've checked) contain and offer the full range of FBReader formatting preferences (including variable spacing BETWEEN paragraphs). In my ignorance I fail to understand why OI is unable to offer the same. I know that's it's not simply a matter of copying the FBReader source code, but others have apparently done it successfully. I wish I myself were qualified to pitch in and do so myself. OpenInkpot would become my only ebook reading firmware if only this matter could be resolved. My appreciation, though, for the ongoing efforts of the OI team is ALMOST boundless.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Dottedmag: To get back a few postings in this thread to your above advice, I stumbled almost accidentally upon the guidance I required in another thread in this forum, that at: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=61908&page=4
Through its help, I was able to locate using SSH the correct place in OpenInkpot in which to insert the instruction for the spacing between paragraphs I desired.

It was at /Share/FBReader/Default/Styles.xml

Then extrapolating from other instructions at that location, and bringing forth from my distant memory my past knowledge of modifying Linux applications, I was able to actually effect the spacing I sought. Now, with that behind me, I may venture to make other changes to lock in all my formatting preferences. You might want to wish me luck.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:35 AM   #10
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Through its help, I was able to locate using SSH the correct place in OpenInkpot in which to insert the instruction for the spacing between paragraphs I desired.

It was at /Share/FBReader/Default/Styles.xml
Jim, the styles.xml in /usr/share/FBReader/default/ will be rewritten whenever you update OpenInkpot, so you may want to keep a copy of your changes on your PC? I am wondering if putting an edited copy of styles.xml in /home/user/.FBReader/ would override the one in default? The reason that I mention that is that changes made in the /home/user/.FBReader/ path are your private configuration data and should survive updates to OpenInkpot.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #11
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Jim, the styles.xml in /usr/share/FBReader/default/ will be rewritten whenever you update OpenInkpot, so you may want to keep a copy of your changes on your PC? I am wondering if putting an edited copy of styles.xml in /home/user/.FBReader/ would override the one in default? The reason that I mention that is that changes made in the /home/user/.FBReader/ path are your private configuration data and should survive updates to OpenInkpot.
Dave: I was concerned about this (but hadn't fully realized it at the time of my posting -- it only came to me later, as representing something of a drawback to my solution). I will definitely try the /home/user method you suggest next time I update OI, and report back Again many thanks. (But isn't ".FBReader" a hidden file that I may have to edit through Linux? Nevertheless, I will try.)

Last edited by ascherjim; 11-28-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #12
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
(But isn't ".FBReader" a hidden file that I may have to edit through Linux? Nevertheless, I will try.)

Yes, .FBReader is a hidden directory, that currently has 6 files in it in my installation. If you have WinSCP working it is quite easy to edit any of the files and directories in /home/user/ I have added my own epuzzles.ini in /home/user/.keys/ to get the key mapping that I wanted for the fifteen puzzle, and my epuzzles.ini has survived several OpenInkpot updates. What I do not know is if files of the same name in /home/user/.FBReader/ will supercede the ones in /usr/share/FBReader/default/ OR if you can edit one of the existing files in /home/user/.FBReader/ to produce the results that you want?

If you have not noticed, /home is actually a link to a hidden directory in /mnt/storage/ called .home , so all the files there are actually in your user storage area.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #13
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Yes, .FBReader is a hidden directory, that currently has 6 files in it in my installation. If you have WinSCP working it is quite easy to edit any of the files and directories in /home/user/ I have added my own epuzzles.ini in /home/user/.keys/ to get the key mapping that I wanted for the fifteen puzzle, and my epuzzles.ini has survived several OpenInkpot updates. What I do not know is if files of the same name in /home/user/.FBReader/ will supercede the ones in /usr/share/FBReader/default/ OR if you can edit one of the existing files in /home/user/.FBReader/ to produce the results that you want?

If you have not noticed, /home is actually a link to a hidden directory in /mnt/storage/ called .home , so all the files there are actually in your user storage area.
Dave: /home/user/ currently has no folder named .FBReader. Is this a folder I have to create and place there? Also, my /mnt/storage directory is empty. As I have booted my OI as a live version from my SD card, and all my titles are on the card separately, not in the OI storage directory, I suspect that this is why the storage directory is currently empty. Further clarification/instructions as usual would be appreciated.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #14
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Dave: /home/user/ currently has no folder named .FBReader. Is this a folder I have to create and place there? Also, my /mnt/storage directory is empty. As I have booted my OI as a live version from my SD card, and all my titles are on the card separately, not in the OI storage directory, I suspect that this is why the storage directory is currently empty. Further clarification/instructions as usual would be appreciated.
Ahhhhhhhhhh, I forgot that you were doing that!

I am afraid that I do not know anything about the live setup. The paths that I was referring to are all paths used by the installed version of OI. I am sorry, but I do not know what to do in the case of the live version. In any case, you probably should at least keep a backup of your FBReader options so that you can reuse them if you update OI again later.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #15
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Ahhhhhhhhhh, I forgot that you were doing that!

I am afraid that I do not know anything about the live setup. The paths that I was referring to are all paths used by the installed version of OI. I am sorry, but I do not know what to do in the case of the live version. In any case, you probably should at least keep a backup of your FBReader options so that you can reuse them if you update OI again later.
Now that I know how to getting the formatting I want, the next OI update I attempt WILL be installed in my main memory, and I will see if I can get by without using the live version on the SD card in conjunction with the BeBook firmware in the main memory. I know of course I can always reverse the process, and I have all my titles backed up for reloading in the installed version of OI. (You may recall -- as I certainly do! -- how you rescued me before when I momentarily thought I had lost all my titles through a reverse BeBook-OI transition.) Again, many thanks. Jim