Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #16
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I won't be nominating anything, as it's not my preferred genre. May well have a go at the winner though .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'll nominate Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold.

Quote:
Cordelia Naismith, Betan Survey Captain, was expecting the unexpected: hexapods, floating creatures, odd parasites... She was not, however, expecting to find hostile humans on an uninhabited planet. And she wasn't really expecting to fall in love with a 40-plus barbarian known to cosmopolitan galactics as the Butcher of Komarr. Will Mother ever understand? And can such an odd beast as love survive an interplanetary war?
This is not your typical romance. In fact, it has a lot going for those that aren't too fond of romance.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #18
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I won't be nominating anything, as it's not my preferred genre. May well have a go at the winner though .
I'm with orlok on this one. I read the nominations to see what might interest me in a genre I usually don't browse.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'm with orlok on this one. I read the nominations to see what might interest me in a genre I usually don't browse.
Because of orlock's comment, I went and found something that has more going for it then just romance that I hope will appeal to those of us who are not all that keen on romance.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Is this a family friendly book club? If it is, Lolita should not be allowed. It's a book about pedophilia. That should make it ineligible. It's not really a romance as it is a book about perversions.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #21
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Lolita is one of the most important novels of the 20th century.

I am aware that this book might be controversial in the United States. But have a look at the german or french Wikipedia entry:
  • Der Roman, der zu den bedeutendsten des 20. Jahrhunderts gehört..
  • Der hebephile Ich-Erzähler Humbert Humbert..
  • Un narrateur qui se définit comme nympholepte..
  • Il est souvent cité comme l'une des œuvres les plus marquantes du XXe siècle..
People in Europe see such things different. It's a masterpiece of art, nothing more. You can find it in every public library, kids read it.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #22
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I'm now hoping Lolita wins so that it can never be nominated again (or whatever time limit has been placed on previous book club winners), and we will no longer have to go through a 5 page argument every time the book is mentioned.

If you want to read it great. if you don't want to read it great.

I'm all for free speech, but can we please not talk about this particular subject, again. It was all hashed out the last time around.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I'm now hoping Lolita wins so that it can never be nominated again (or whatever time limit has been placed on previous book club winners), and we will no longer have to go through a 5 page argument every time the book is mentioned.

If you want to read it great. if you don't want to read it great.

I'm all for free speech, but can we please not talk about this particular subject, again. It was all hashed out the last time around.
If you don't want something discussed, don't add to the discussion. Especially don't ask to have the last word.

The way to handle a discussion that bores is to ignore it. People are free not to read any comments, but as long as comments aren't in violation of the TOU, it's overstepping to try to squash them.

Last edited by issybird; 01-20-2013 at 01:36 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
Lolita is one of the most important novels of the 20th century.
I have to disagree. I don't think it's any bit important. It's just a look at the mind of an adult who is wanting a 12-year old child. I don't find that important. I lump that together with the Pedophile manual that was on Amazon and caused such a ruckus.

(IMHO) I think we do need an official ruling on this. If MR is a family friendly forum, then Lolita should not be allowed as it's not family friendly.

Let's just wait for the official ruling and we can then stop any discussions/arguments and go with what the ruling says.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-20-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #25
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
If someone feels uncomfortable with this book (which I can understand) then you can still see it as a phenomena of popular culture and bohemianism.

French artist Serge Gainsbourgh recorded some very Lolita-style songs with his own daugter. Gainsbourg loved to shock people with this dandy style. As long as people live which are shocked by this, people will record (and love) such songs..

I wasn't aware that this book lead to discussions in the past. So maybe a rule might be a good idea. I don't know.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #26
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I am with Jon on this. I'm getting a cold shower thinking this labels as "Romance". But it may nevertheless make for a good discussion, perhaps a better one than the "true" romances.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #27
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
If you don't want something discussed, don't add to the discussion. Especially don't ask to have the last word.

The way to handle a discussion that bores is to ignore it. People are free not to read any comments, but as long as comments aren't in violation of the TOU, it's overstepping to try to squash them.
People are also free to express their feelings as long as it isn't in violation of the TOU. And since I have to read every comment while I am helping with the nomination process, to make sure that I do not accidentally miss anyone's nomination, ignoring comments is not a realisitc option for me at this time.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #28
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
People are also free to express their feelings as long as it isn't in violation of the TOU. And since I have to read every comment while I am helping with the nomination process, to make sure that I do not accidentally miss anyone's nomination, ignoring comments is not a realisitc option for me at this time.
Right. I didn't have any problem with your first two paragraphs, expressing boredom and frustration. As you said, your opinion; I even understand it. I don't like dead horse flogging, either. But I always see red when people say, in effect, "I don't like this discussion, so I want people to end it, and I want my post to be the last one on the subject." Not only is it not their call, it's hypocritical.

On the bright side, realistically it's easy enough to spot a new nomination and skim/ignore anything about Lolita. People here understand about paragraphs. And surely if you miss something, it will be brought to your attention.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #29
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is this a family friendly book club? If it is, Lolita should not be allowed. It's a book about pedophilia. That should make it ineligible. It's not really a romance as it is a book about perversions.
The site is family-friendly, but no book is out-of-bounds for discussion as far as I'm concerned, as long as the discussion itself can remain family friendly. That being said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
I am with Jon on this. I'm getting a cold shower thinking this labels as "Romance". But it may nevertheless make for a good discussion, perhaps a better one than the "true" romances.
I'm also with Jon on this. I'll take no steps to keep Lolita from being nominated, but should it win, I won't be reading it.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-20-2013 at 02:24 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #30
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Right. I didn't have any problem with your first two paragraphs, expressing boredom and frustration. As you said, your opinion; I even understand it. I don't like dead horse flogging, either. But I always see red when people say, in effect, "I don't like this discussion, so I want people to end it, and I want my post to be the last one on the subject." Not only is it not their call, it's hypocritical.

On the bright side, realistically it's easy enough to spot a new nomination and skim/ignore anything about Lolita. People here understand about paragraphs. And surely if you miss something, it will be brought to your attention.
So because you have a problem with what you think I said (seeing as your "quote" is neither what I said nor thought), you should now chastise me and have the last word. Were you not capable of taking your own advice and ignoring what you think I said?

For the record I don't skim, I read. Why should I alter what works for me to depend on others to do what I'm supposed to be doing? [/Rhetorical question]

You are free to your opinions, as I am free to mine. I will not discuss this with you any further. This is my last word on the subject.