Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #16
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
6) Did not have one
7) Gave up on it

Seriously, what's with the "goal" obsession around here?

Free-range readers unite!!
Agreed, my only goal was to enjoy myself reading and, as such, I have certainly succeeded.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
To be clear: I didn't mean to imply that keeping lists and making reading goals was in any way silly or weird. It's just that I'm a bit surprised how common the practice apparently is among readers. I guess I've never needed any incentive to read as many books as humanly possible in the amount of free time I have to do so. That's just a given.

To those who have met or exceeded their goals... I salute you! To those who have fallen a bit short... better luck next time; don't get hung up on it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 6p, Nexus 10
For the most part reading is a leisure activity for me, so there's no setting of goals pretty much by definition.
cjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #19
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I probably won't set a goal (my family teases me about reading so much as it is), but the keeping track idea intrigues me. I might try it for 2013 -- just a quick jotting of titles in a note-to-myself of some sort. Wouldn't want anything too elaborate (that would take away from my reading time!).
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #20
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr72 View Post
For the most part reading is a leisure activity for me, so there's no setting of goals pretty much by definition.
I know what you mean but people play sport as a leisure activity and they might set themselves goals - personal bests and so on.

Having said that, I am actually re-considering for next year setting any goals at all. Bottom line for me is whether it adds or detracts from the fun. I think it both motivates me and affects my choice of reading (I'm more likely to pick shorter books, especially toward the end of the year!) so I'm not sure yet what I'll do in 2013.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #21
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
6) Did not have one
7) Gave up on it

No kidding!!
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #22
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I am so not setting up a goal next year. Back to free range for me indeed. It was a 1 off to estimate. Been there, done that, almost got the tshirt, so...
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #23
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
3) Some events got int the way, unforeseen events such as a family vacation where you will not be sitting with your nose to the reader screen where you thought that you might have your nose to the screen;
I suspect that putting my nose to the screen would slow my reading pace a bit.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #24
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
This year was the first time I'd had an annual goal, an hat was only because someone pointed me at the fiftyfifty.me site and it seemed a good idea. I'd have estimated I read 25-30 books a year, normally, so 50 was a genuine attempt to challenge myself.

I'm not going for anything so concrete next year, but I sometimes like to follow lists to give myself some ideas where to go next. I've been reading through the Hugo winners slowly, for several years, for instance. And my memory is not what it used to be, while my book collection is bigger than ever, so it seems wise to keep track of what I read, what I want to read, and what I want to buy.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #25
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
I am so not setting up a goal next year. Back to free range for me indeed. It was a 1 off to estimate. Been there, done that, almost got the tshirt, so...
This... I've set goals for the past two years (100 in 2011 - which I never came near - and 75 in 2012 - which I've already surpassed), but it's really taken away some of the fun of reading. Next year, I'll continue to record the books I complete on Goodreads and LibraryThing, but I'll not be concerned about reading a number.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #26
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
6) Did not have one
7) Gave up on it

+1 If it becomes a job it stops being fun. But I don't begrudge those who like to set goals, I just know myself well enough to know that it would make reading less fun. I do keep track of how many books I read on goodreads (if you're interested, 41 books, 16,914 pages so far in 2012, slightly more than 2011).

But for me personally if I put a goal to read say 50 books in 2013, I would obsess on it, avoid the lengthier, meatier tomes of both fiction and nonfiction that I've been interested lately in favor of shorter light reads, and just generally turn it into a wretched chore.

Last edited by usuallee; 12-19-2012 at 04:37 PM.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #27
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I just realized, I do have a goal for reading. My goal is to start another book when I finish the book I am currently reading.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:55 AM   #28
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I had a couple of slow periods - both when a particular book was heavier going than I expected.

I'm not too worried about the book total/page count challenges though. I like keeping track, but I'm not heart-broken to miss such a challenge. In the two years I've set a goal, I haven't reached it. Oh well.

I'm more interested in all the sub-challenges I set myself. Next year I'm focusing on paperbacks that I have in my bookshelf and haven't read yet (new), classics (again), indie read/reviews (again), short stories (new) and award winners (new).

These challenges are more to focus my reading. For next year I've also started putting together a suggested reading list for some of the challenges to make it easier to bounce from book to book.

At the moment, these challenges suit a purpose for me. I don't find them a burden - it's actually fun to watch the progress of the challenges over the year. It's a game I play with myself in the time between finishing one book and picking up another.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:34 AM   #29
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
For next year I've also started putting together a suggested reading list for some of the challenges to make it easier to bounce from book to book.
I do something similar. The challenge part of it is to read things I might not have thought of reading otherwise. Making reading lists is to make it easier for me when I get into one of my slumps when everything is just BLAH! and nothing seems fun or interesting. I then go to my list and pick something (one or more books). Still thinking BLAH! but since I at some point thought it was worth getting on the at list, why not give it a go... And whaddayaknow, I may actually end up having a good time!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #30
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Quote:
6) Did not have one
7) Gave up on it

I'm with you on that one - when did reading become a competitive sport???

mediax is offline   Reply With Quote