Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Question to .lit lovers......

IS .lit still a widely accepted format. I have some books in .lit but I always convert them to .epub or .fb2... What am I missing?
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Wasn't LIT's main advantage (to publishers) how easily DRM-able it was?

I doubt consumers had much of an opinion one way or the other, other than being annoyed by the restrictions associated with that.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not sure. I know it is easy to convert with Calbire. Some people seem to insist on using it with their Pocket Pro..which I do not understand. There are many other formats one can use to read with on the Pocket Pro.....
Old 04-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
LIT is in many ways a precursor to ePub; both are derived from the OpenEbook spec, both are HTML/XML based internally and can be easily converted from one to the other. Most of the differences between LIT and ePub stem from attempts to make ePub more PDF-ish with embedded fonts and hard-wired formatting, etc. Calibre loves LITs as feedstock for conversion, and turns them into ePub in a wink of an eye.

MSReader on PC is an underappreciated reading app with some of the best typographic rendering available despite receiving essentially zero updates in five years. MS Reader on VGA Pocket PCs was and is a delight, usurpassed until the current 5in eInk screens arrived.

Unless MS gets serious about it (maybe as part of their Courier project) LIT will remain a second tier, legacy format much like the way eReader seems to be going.

The main problem is that non-MS LIT Reader apps tend to be crude, unstable and generally flaky. (Tiny Reader on Windows Phones seems to be the exception.) My experiences with the Hanlin LIT parser for the V3 series is that it will rarely glitch with LITs created with the MSWord add-in, will often glitch with LITs created out of a single HTML file using Readerworks, and will *never* work properly with LITs created out of multiple HTMLs (say, one file per chapter).

After 18 months waiting for a fix, I just moved on from the BeBook.

Last edited by fjtorres; 04-14-2010 at 05:09 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
LIT is in many ways a precursor to ePub; both are derived from the OpenEbook spec, both are HTML/XML based internally and can be easily converted from one to the other. Most of the differences between LIT and ePub stem from attempts to make ePub more PDF-ish with embedded fonts and hard-wired formatting, etc. Calibre loves LITs as feedstock for conversion, and turns them into ePub in a wink of an eye.
Really....Does Calibre get it right? I will try converting one!
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
Really....Does Calibre get it right? I will try converting one!
I am pretty happy with the LIT -> EPUB
Way better than PDF -> EPUB

I am sure that there are LIT files that rate a after conversion, but simple books with covers and a few ilios seemed fine.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:46 PM   #7
hidari
MR Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

MSReader on PC is an underappreciated reading app with some of the best typographic rendering available despite receiving essentially zero updates in five years. MS Reader on VGA Pocket PCs was and is a delight, usurpassed until the current 5in eInk screens arrived.

Unless MS gets serious about it (maybe as part of their Courier project) LIT will remain a second tier, legacy format much like the way eReader seems to be going.

The main problem is that non-MS LIT Reader apps tend to be crude, unstable and generally flaky. (Tiny Reader on Windows Phones seems to be the exception.) My experiences with the Hanlin LIT parser for the V3 series is that it will rarely glitch with LITs created with the MSWord add-in, will often glitch with LITs created out of a single HTML file using Readerworks, and will *never* work properly with LITs created out of multiple HTMLs (say, one file per chapter).

After 18 months waiting for a fix, I just moved on from the BeBook.
Thanks for the info... was not aware of all the background to it.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:48 PM   #8
hidari
MR Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I am pretty happy with the LIT -> EPUB
Way better than PDF -> EPUB

I am sure that there are LIT files that rate a after conversion, but simple books with covers and a few ilios seemed fine.
agreed LIT to EPUB is good with Calibre....

FOR PDFs.... I do PDF->html-> epub.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:37 AM   #9
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
agreed LIT to EPUB is good with Calibre....

FOR PDFs.... I do PDF->html-> epub.
How can yew do this? There is no option for converting to HTML? None that I can find ennyway? *Blink*
Old 04-15-2010, 02:30 AM   #10
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Quote:
How can yew do this? There is no option for converting to HTML? None that I can find ennyway? *Blink*
Yew can dew it with Mobipocket Creator Publisher Edition, ore using Calibre via command line:

ebook-convert filename.pdf filename.epub --debug-pipeline foldername

As noted in another thread hear on MobileRead, Calibre converts PDFs too HTML files during intermediate stages along the weigh towards other formats. The example above shows how it wood work converting from PDF two EPUB. The command ebook-convert determines the source and destination formats based on the file extension(s). The intermediate HTML files will bee found in sub-folders within whatever folder name yew provide as an argument following the --debug-pipeline switch.

Sea the Calibre Manual pages four moor details.

Eye half gotten grate results using MobiPocket Creator, but wood recommend yew try both two sea witch yew like best.

Cheers!
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #11
hidari
MR Drone

I usually do it via Mobipocket Creator. Also my wife has a great program called PDF transformer from ABBYY....but that costs money....
Old 04-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
rxsz
Connoisseur
rxsz began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
grate ezempal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xochipilli2012 View Post
Yew can dew it with Mobipocket Creator Publisher Edition, ore using Calibre via command line:

ebook-convert filename.pdf filename.epub --debug-pipeline foldername

As noted in another thread hear on MobileRead, Calibre converts PDFs too HTML files during intermediate stages along the weigh towards other formats. The example above shows how it wood work converting from PDF two EPUB. The command ebook-convert determines the source and destination formats based on the file extension(s). The intermediate HTML files will bee found in sub-folders within whatever folder name yew provide as an argument following the --debug-pipeline switch.

Sea the Calibre Manual pages four moor details.

Eye half gotten grate results using MobiPocket Creator, but wood recommend yew try both two sea witch yew like best.

Cheers!
Amazing.

Just minutes prior I was mentioning to a class of ESL students that just because a person is an American and able to speak native English, it does not mean that he/she is educated or literate.

Thank you, thank you for backing me up. Yeah, I knew you were just laying it on, but I didn't bother to enlighten them!

They took it at face value. I told them you were writing phonetic English, you know, almost like pinyin!
rxsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #13
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xochipilli2012 View Post
Eye half gotten grate results using MobiPocket Creator, but wood recommend yew try both two sea witch yew like best. Cheers!
Great day my spelling is THAT bad I pray!!!

I am quite satisfied with the way the Pocket Pro renders HTML. I will try the Mobi program.

Last edited by ThomasMcKean; 04-15-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Great day my spelling is THAT bad I pray!!!

I am quite satisfied with the way the Pocket Pro renders HTML. I will try the Mobi program.
Hey Thomas,

I believe I spelled every word correctly, but I've been wrong before. (No offense intended, mate. Just having a spot of fun! )

I too appreciate how how well the Pocket Pro manages HTML, with or without using Cool Reader.

The PP is a nifty little piece of kit!
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote