Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-15-2006, 09:59 AM   #16
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

A spreadsheet. It wouldn't have to require calculation till you told it to do so after entering your data. Forms with similar calculation would be nice.

Calender/Event Planning.

Address/Phone List - searchable.

All of the basic palm apps would be nice.
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:52 AM   #17
FGFuzaxx
Enthusiast
FGFuzaxx has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: maybe Iliad ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firekat
A spreadsheet. It wouldn't have to require calculation till you told it to do so after entering your data. Forms with similar calculation would be nice.

Calender/Event Planning.

Address/Phone List - searchable.

All of the basic palm apps would be nice.
None of these would need gigantic screen refresh rates. So, where is the problem, iRex?

Just when I think of Myst or the good old little Hobbit - hmm I think there is more to do with the device than just reading ;-)

Greetings,
Frank
FGFuzaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2006, 07:02 AM   #18
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGFuzaxx
None of these would need gigantic screen refresh rates. So, where is the problem, iRex?
I guess they just dont have the resources to add that stuff. Thats why they open up the device with a nice SDK, so we can do it ourselves
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:55 AM   #19
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGFuzaxx
So, where is the problem, iRex?
There are already cheaper devices to do those things: it doesn't make sense to make an iLiad a very expensive PDA. Or at least, iRex isn't prepared to gamble that it might.

And until the E Ink display is quite a bit faster, I think they're right. The iLiad makes perfectly good sense as a read-only (or perhaps read-mostly) device. That's where I think iRex are.

Disagreeing parties get an SDK to play with. If they turn out to be right, it won't hurt iRex a bit.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:01 AM   #20
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ath
There are already cheaper devices to do those things: it doesn't make sense to make an iLiad a very expensive PDA.
Still it could be interesting to put some effort on lining the iLiad to PDAs. So you can browse the net fast on your PDA, download content, and broadcast it to the iLiad.

It could also justify people already having a PDA to buy the "next thing".
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2006, 09:26 AM   #21
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ath
There are already cheaper devices to do those things: it doesn't make sense to make an iLiad a very expensive PDA. Or at least, iRex isn't prepared to gamble that it might.
I absolutely agree.
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:58 AM   #22
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Having those apps would make it so that I would not have to carry the pda! One less thing to carry, one less thing to plug in, one less charger. Also if/when things work out with the iLiad battery life will be better than my Palm T3 (which I still like!)
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:31 AM   #23
vvoi666
Zealot
vvoi666 began at the beginning.

just a thought:
it would be cool to open books directly out of an *.zip, *.rar archive. this would be a feature of the reader, right?
this is pretty cool in fbreader, since it saves a lot of 'cardspace'.

btw: did anyone ask the fbreader guys for a port of their reader (or does it run on the iliad)? it works really great on my 770 (maemo) and they are very open to 'user suggestions' for future releases.
vvoi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:35 AM   #24
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvoi666
it would be cool to open books directly out of an *.zip, *.rar archive. this would be a feature of the reader, right?
I think the OEB files have a zip container. That would be nice. And PDFs are compressed usually. Would help with HTML Files, but i dont know if minimo does that.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:13 AM   #25
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
And PDFs are compressed usually.
Depends a bit on what PDF version is supported. The latest can compress
pretty much anything, but earlier version can only compress strings and
streams, not all the different objects found in a PDF file.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:59 AM   #26
stinky ox
Connoisseur
stinky ox began at the beginning.

Device: samsung q1, iLiad
Neeeeeds bookmarks now... I've actually got a bit of content so having to open each book from the start and remember where i was then nav to there each time is getting to be a pain...

either that or power management so I can just leave my current book open anyway and not have to turn the thing off...

or better still, both!
stinky ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:03 AM   #27
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvoi666
btw: did anyone ask the fbreader guys for a port of their reader (or does it run on the iliad)? it works really great on my 770 (maemo) and they are very open to 'user suggestions' for future releases.
Based on my impression on 770, it would do an easy port. But it is really so impresive, or it is only because it is the only ereader available there?
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:35 AM   #28
stinky ox
Connoisseur
stinky ox began at the beginning.

Device: samsung q1, iLiad
It also needs a "back" command fir when you accidentally interrupt your reading. I was just now reading mi iLiad in the loo, and I put it down to attend to the, ah, paperwork, and then when I picked it up accidentally pressed the "connect" button in top-right. Of course it then displayed the download history and I lost my place in my book (and at 171 pages in and no bookmarks and no direct-jump-to-page command yet it's a pain getting back there).

It'd be nice in circumstances like that if the "Up" button took you back to where you were before.
stinky ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:37 AM   #29
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky ox
It also needs a "back" command fir when you accidentally interrupt your reading.
Yes, that would definately be great. i always press the news button by accident.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:59 AM   #30
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
# A function "copy from CF/SD card to iLiad's memory" would be nice. [I have several cards in use.]
# path should be visible in card's menu [like CF/ebook/a/] [uuh, is listed already on wiki wishlist ]

Last edited by yokos; 07-26-2006 at 12:03 PM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote