Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-30-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
Wisey
Wisey began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
Iliad iREx Frozen

I have been a happy owner of an iRex iLiad for nearly a year and have used it without any trouble. However, in the last 12 hours, I encountered a problem that I could not fix. The iLiad is still running on the first version of the software that it came it (I have a Mac and did not upgrade to the latest software). I was reading when I accidentally pressed the round button on the upper right corner (something that I do frequently) and I quickly pressed the <Book> button on the bottom of the screen. The iLiad showed the network profile screen (yes, the screen still works) and the green light is constantly flashing. After over 10 minutes of this happening without bring up the file listings, I started pressing various buttons on the devices and found that if I pressed what I call the select button (the button between the up and down arrows), the green light flashing would stop. If I press any of the other buttons, the green light would start flashing again. After a while, I am not sure why, the green light did not flash.

At the present, the iLiad is unresponsive to any of the button presses or using the pen to touch the screen. It is continuing to show the iLiad network profiles page. By the way, the iLiad is making sounds when I press any of the buttons or when I touch the screen with the pen, suggesting that there is still enough of an operating system going that it is responding to the button pushes and screen touches. Sliding the power slider does not shut down or otherwise alter the iLiad. I initially plugged the iLiad to my Mac and find that I can see the various folders on the device and that all the files are intact. However, this no longer seems to be the case.

I am running the battery in the iLiad down to see if this will make the device restart. It has been on continuously for over 10 hours and reaching the bottom. I am wondering if anybody has encountered this problem before and what the solution is. How do you restart a frozen iLiad?

Wise.
Wisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
DigiDirk
Connoisseur
DigiDirk doesn't litterDigiDirk doesn't litter

Device: iLiad
...using the Reset-Switch on the backside of the device, perhaps?

It shuts the device off and you can then switch it back on (in contrast to 'It will reboot').

Dirk

Last edited by DigiDirk; 11-30-2007 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Punctation.
DigiDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
There's a reset button on the back, in the middle. Try pressing that.

EDIT: Argh, too slow by a few seconds!
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
You've had the iLiad almost a year and haven't updated the software? What version are you running? 2.7?

You know you don't need (and can't use) a PC to update the firmware. Just set it up to connect to your wired or wireless network and press the button and wait. You really should update. You'll be suprosed by all you can do with 2.11 compared to the old revision. Not to mention an increase in battery life.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
Wisey
Wisey began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
You've had the iLiad almost a year and haven't updated the software? What version are you running? 2.7?

You know you don't need (and can't use) a PC to update the firmware. Just set it up to connect to your wired or wireless network and press the button and wait. You really should update. You'll be suprosed by all you can do with 2.11 compared to the old revision. Not to mention an increase in battery life.
Thanks very much for all the advice. I have been traveling and did not have the time to check back on the web site. It turned out that I was able to reset the device and it is now functioning again. I had tried several times to get it to connect up with my wireless devices without success when I first got it. Let me try again.

Wise.
Wisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
kaymion
kaymion began at the beginning.

Device: illiad
My iLiad is frozen and the reset button at the back does not reset the reader.

Can anyone help with this issue?

Regards,
Onno Vrijburg
kaymion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Try turning it on after you hit the reset button. The reset will not blank the screen (the last image will stay there), so it might look like the reset didn't do anything. Pushing the power switch should start it booting up again though.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:48 AM   #8
kaymion
kaymion began at the beginning.

Device: illiad
Hi Shaggy,

Thanks for the tip but that did not work either

Regards,
Onno
kaymion is offline   Reply With Quote