Notices

Old 07-02-2008, 06:22 AM   #1
Axelos
Axelos
Axelos began at the beginning.

Device: MDA Touch
German Newspaper

Hi Gents,

does somebody knows whether/when it is planned to make a german newspaper available for the iliad ???

Thanks
Axelos
Axelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:33 AM   #2
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
What newspapers do you want to read, and what format do they need to be in for the iliad?
Most newspapers offer electronic versions, usually for the price of a regular subscription.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
Axelos
Axelos

If the most newspapers really are available as e-version so why do they make such a fuss about it when the provide it on Iliad (see the News on Irex homepage) ????
Old 07-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelos View Post
If the most newspapers really are available as e-version so why do they make such a fuss about it when the provide it on Iliad (see the News on Irex homepage) ????
There is a hugh difference if you view a so-so pdf on the iLiad, or to get a newspaper to explicitly format and cater for the iliad. Like viewing articile contents when clicking on the headline and so.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:17 AM   #5
Crisby
Fanatic
Crisby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Crisby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Crisby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Crisby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
It would be wonderful to be able to download local newspapers via iDS, as it could be done wirelessly wherever you can make a connection.

See this free sample of NRC Handelsblad for the beautiful iLiad format available:
http://epaper.nrc.nl/downloads/volle...maart-2008.pdf

There's lots of links and the text and graphics are very clear. But, its all Dutch to me...

PS Not everyone at Mobileread's a Gent.

Last edited by Crisby; 07-03-2008 at 01:34 AM.
Crisby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2008, 03:12 AM   #6
Axelos
Axelos

caught red-handed!
You're absolutely right - This is really embarrassing for me! SORRY!
Old 08-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
akee
akee began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Moin Axelos,

I've got an online subscription to the Financial Times. This allows me to download the current newspaper as a PDF file and read it on the iLiad. However, doing so is not a good solution as the DINA3 format of the newspaper is not suited well for the size of the iLiad's display. Hence, one has to zoom, and as changing the resolution takes very long (between 10 and 20 seconds), it's not very practical to read the FTD on the iLiad.

What one can do, of course, is to download the mobile version of a newspaper using wget. I haven't tried it out yet, as I've got my iLiad for only two days, now, but one might probably be able use the Downloader framework for recursively downloading the mobile versions of newspapers as HTML. However, I don't know whether any newspaper offers all articles on the web without subscription. Some time back I used to read newspapers on my Palm Tungsten, using plucker, and I think that the Sueddeutsche offered a fairly complete mobile version.
akee is offline   Reply With Quote