Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-23-2016, 04:58 PM   #1
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
How do convert a no DRM book from iBooks to ePub?

I downloaded a DRM free technical paper, Human Interface Guidelines, from iBooks. It has an epub suffix and is actually a directory with subdirectories named OEBPS and META-INF.

I want to read this on my Android tablet. There's no DRM, but I can't convert it to ePub. Pdf would be fine too. I tried zipping it up and converting it in Calibre, but that gave an error.

I also tried opening it up in iBooks Author but it doesn't recognize the format.

Any clues? Thanks in advance.
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:05 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by menevets View Post
It has an epub suffix and is actually a directory with subdirectories named OEBPS and META-INF
Sounds like the internal structure of most ePub files to me. Did you try opening the file with some form of ePub reading software either on your computer or Android device?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2016, 05:14 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I downloaded a DRM free technical paper, Human Interface Guidelines, from iBooks. It has an epub suffix and is actually a directory with subdirectories named OEBPS and META-INF.

I want to read this on my Android tablet. There's no DRM, but I can't convert it to ePub. Pdf would be fine too. I tried zipping it up and converting it in Calibre, but that gave an error.
You can't just zip it up. EPub has particular build requirements (see our wiki). Did you try Calibre on the original?
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:17 PM   #4
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Sounds like the internal structure of most ePub files to me. Did you try opening the file with some form of ePub reading software either on your computer or Android device?
I tried opening it from Calibre on OS X and got this error:

Quote:
calibre, version 2.42.0
WARNING: Errors while adding: There were problems adding some files, click "Show details" for more information

Failed to add the file /Users/s/Desktop/appleHumanInterfaceGuidelines.epub to the book: /Users/s/Desktop/appleHumanInterfaceGuidelines
With error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/add.py", line 399, in add_formats
File "site-packages/calibre/db/cache.py", line 1354, in add_format
File "site-packages/calibre/startup.py", line 198, in local_open
IOError: [Errno 21] Is a directory: u'/Users/s/Desktop/appleHumanInterfaceGuidelines.epub'
When I tried uploading the epub file to Google Drive in order to download from GD to the tablet and open it in Aldiko, it showed up as folder, not a file and stopped there. It should show up as a file, no?
Old 03-23-2016, 05:18 PM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Never mind.

Shari

Last edited by shalym; 03-23-2016 at 05:20 PM.
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2016, 04:00 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Workshop forum, where you're more likely to get an answer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:02 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you can unpack the file, can you not simply extract the HTML and images and create a new ebook from that, eg using Calibre?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:24 AM   #8
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
I suspect that the book in question requires massive amounts of JavaScript to function, which means that converting it to EPUB 2 would be a nontrivial task (read "complete redesign"). If you have an EPUB 3 reader (particularly if it is based on WebKit), I'd expect it to mostly "just work".
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:43 AM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I downloaded a DRM free technical paper, Human Interface Guidelines, from iBooks.
You're mistaken. The book is free, but DRM-protected. You'll need to read it with iBooks or, if you don't have an iOS device or a Mac, you can also read it online.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:30 AM   #10
menevets
Connoisseur

Thanks to all for all the suggestions. I tried all of the above to get it into ePub format, but Doitsu is right. It seems to be in some kind of proprietary format. I have an iPad, but it's an old one and heavy so I just wanted to see if I could get it into a lighter Android tablet. I saw pdf versions of other apple Developer guides, but I guess converting them isn't trivial.

I know I can read it online, I just wanted an offline version as wifi options in transportation situations isn't always a sure thing and navigating an offline copy is a bit faster.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The solution to removing DRM is to buy a format with a DRM that can be removed. This means no buying from Apple.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote