Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Fantasy Books I Haven't Read

Hi there,

Please could someone recommend me some fantasy that I may not have read. To help, I'll give the authors I have read and like or disliked or found meh:

David Gemmell - Liked
Joe Abercrombie - Disliked
Raymond E. Feist - Disliked
Mark Lawrence - Liked
Jim Butcher - Liked
Kevin Hearne - Liked
L.E. Modesitt Jr - Liked
George R.R. Martin - Meh (Good story but unlikable characters and too long)
Neil Gaiman - Liked
J.R.R. Tolkein - Liked
James Barclay - Disliked
Markus Heitz - Meh (Good narrative setting but cardboard characters)
Steven Erikson - Disliked
Brandon Sanderson - Liked
Brent Weeks - Liked
Peter V. Brett - Liked
R.A. Salvatore - Liked
Jennifer Fallon - Liked
Robin Hobb - Disliked
Mike Carey - Liked
Brian McClellan - Liked
Robert Jordan - Total Meh (Boring, badly written and shallow 2-D characters)
Paul Kearney - Liked
Naomi Novik - Meh
Anne MacCaffrey - Meh
Glen Cook - Meh (Didn't get on with the writing style)
Elizabeth Moon - Meh (Characters didn't interest me)
Philip Pullman - Liked
Guy Gavriel Kay - Disliked
Paul Hoffman - Meh (Depressing)
David Weber - Disliked (Clunky and long-winded)
Tom Lloyd - Meh (Boring to me, not necessarily to other people)
Patrick Rothfuss - Meh (but could like him if tried again)

I don't know whether anyone has any ideas about fantasy authors I may like that I haven't tried?

Last edited by Waylander; 08-25-2014 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Added Authors
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
How about Richard K. Morgan? I haven't read any of his Fantasy, but I enjoyed his SF, so your thoughts after you've read it would be appreciated.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Guy Gavriel Kay (The Lions of al-Rassan),
Philip Pullman (His Dark Materials),
Mervyn Peake (Titus Groan),
Roger Zelazny (the Amber books),
L. Sprague de Camp (The Incompleat Enchanter),
Michael Moorcock (the Elric of Melniboné books),
Stephen Donaldson (Thomas the Unbeliever),
Peter S. Beagle (The Last Unicorn),
Michael Chabon (Summerland), or
David Eddings (The Belgariad).
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #4
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Huh, looks like we have similar tastes. I may move Dresden up on my list.

Recommendations:

Elizabeth Moon's Paksenarrion books. If you like Tolkien and Salvatore, you'll really like Moon. Here's the first trilogy: http://www.baenebooks.com/p-100-the-...senarrion.aspx
You can also get it at Amazon, B&N, etc.

Andre Norton. Try her Witch World series for epic fantasy. For standalones, I like Scent of Magic or the Mirror of Destiny. I also especially like Year of the Unicorn or Key of the Keplian. If you like Tolkien and Gemmel she could be right up your alley.

Roger Zelazny is also good. Darker than either Moon or Norton.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #5
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Glen Cook has two good series.
The Black Company and Garrett P.I.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
I liked the Swordbearer the most out of all his books.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Apache
If he didn't like Joe Abercrombie, I doubt he'd like Glen Cook's Black Company. And he had Cook in his "meh" list.

I'd recommend Scott Lynch but since you didn't like Hobb or Abercrombie and was meh on Martin, I'm pretty sure you have the opposite taste that I do.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:36 AM   #8
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Have you tried this?

http://www.literature-map.com/

Agree w/ BenG suggesting Moorcock and Zelazny.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:41 AM   #9
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Thanks WillAdams and everyone here for the suggestions. I will definitely give Moorcock and Zelazny a go, and will probably give some of my "meh's" another go, as my tastes may have changed. It's not that I don't like dark fantasy, as I love the Broken Empire trilogy by Mark Lawrence, but Abercrombie et al just don't do it for me, probably because the characters are so unsympathetic.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #10
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The Garrett P. I. series a blending of Fantasy and Murder Mystery. I like to think of them as Nero Wolf Fantasies.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
The Garrett P. I. series a blending of Fantasy and Murder Mystery. I like to think of them as Nero Wolf Fantasies.
Apache
They are also quite funny in places. For a while, I was sure there were two different Glenn Cooks!
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #12
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
You could look at R A Lafferty. A prolific short story writer, but also several novels, often intricately interconnected.

Nine Million Grandmothers (short stories)
Tales of Chicago (part of the Melchizedech series)

Look him up on the Internet Speculative Fiction database.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:25 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Terry Pratchett.

He co-wrote Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch with Neil Gaiman.

He also wrote the Discworld series, which is kind of like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy but with fantasy, and less depressing.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #14
ereaderSam
Connoisseur
ereaderSam doesn't litterereaderSam doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I too would recommend books authored by Elizabeth Moon.
ereaderSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #15
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I would add Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea series to your list.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote