Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Downloading old Tor purchases without DRM

(Apologies if this is a duplicate - I did search but couldn't find any existing threads.)

Has anybody had trouble redownloading their old Tor purchases from Amazon without DRM? I've redownloaded all of my Tor books, and all had DRM applied.

I've tried contacting support twice, but can't seem to get through their heads what the concept of "DRM free" is.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
(Apologies if this is a duplicate - I did search but couldn't find any existing threads.)

Has anybody had trouble redownloading their old Tor purchases from Amazon without DRM? I've redownloaded all of my Tor books, and all had DRM applied.

I've tried contacting support twice, but can't seem to get through their heads what the concept of "DRM free" is.
If you haven't, go to the Manage My Kindle page and check your archive for any updated versions. Unless you okay the change, Amazon keeps sending you the original editions.

This assumes that Tor updated the old DRMed books rather than replacing them with separate editions. If they did the latter, you might try contacting Tor.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm. The ASINs haven't changed, and the book's pages all say that I've purchased the title. But I'm not seeing any updates in the "Manage My Kindle" section.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
ATimson
Evangelist

Update: I took a different tack this time. Instead of asking them to fix the download so there's no DRM, I just asked if there were any updates. (One of my books was missing the maps in the original version, which was a convenient "hook" to build that question around.)

After that, they updated all but one of my Tor books to new versions with no DRM and KF8, as well as a number of other titles on my account to be KF8. (The exception is The Stars Like Dust, which I own an ancient Topaz copy of. At some point I'll ask them to change to the new edition, but since it's technically a different edition I understand why it's not quite so simple.)

Now, why they didn't just let me automatically update from the web as you said I should have been able to, I don't know. But all's well now.