Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-07-2022, 08:46 AM   #1
Pinarius
Pinarius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 10th generation
How to make KUAL first in the listing?

Is there any way for KUAL to be at the top of the list? When opening other ebooks it leaves the home screen. Is there a way to make it stay on the home screen?
Pinarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 01:02 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Whenever you open KUAL it goes to the top, so just open it before it leaves the screen.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:44 PM   #3
cearp
cearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enough

Device: 📚
I haven't looked into how the kindle keeps a record of the most recently accessed books. BUT theoretically, if the 'most recent' list is done by checking a timestamp for each book in a database, we could set the time last accessed value of KUAL to something far in the future (like the year 3000).
This may be a trick to getting KUAL to always show first - just an idea.
cearp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:53 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cearp View Post
I haven't looked into how the kindle keeps a record of the most recently accessed books. BUT theoretically, if the 'most recent' list is done by checking a timestamp for each book in a database, we could set the time last accessed value of KUAL to something far in the future (like the year 3000).
This may be a trick to getting KUAL to always show first - just an idea.
Kindles keep track of book acces time in the sqlite database /var/local/cc.db

The initial timestamp on the file is used for the first setting.

setting an initial timestamp or an access time into the future is a good way to make a book not show up at all. This can also happen when the kindle clock time is very worng.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:33 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The timestamp of a booklet being way off can indeed lead to an application startup failure .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 04:53 PM   #6
cearp
cearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enough

Thanks j.p.s - I see it now.
cc.db, table 'Entries', the 'p_lastAccess' column.
Although per both of your posts above, I shall not try out my idea!
Even if it didn't cause issues, it would only be temporary, timestamp would get updated on each launch of course.

What is cool though, is being able to set a cover for KUAL.
Just set 'p_thumbnail' for the KUAL row to something (I was lazy and just copied the path of a different book's thumbnail) - and that worked great.
Do we have any cover image for KUAL that we can use for this?

Last edited by cearp; 05-08-2022 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-08-2022, 06:15 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Even if it didn't cause issues, it would only be temporary, timestamp would get updated on each launch of course.

Just set 'p_thumbnail' for the KUAL row to something (I was lazy and just copied the path of a different book's thumbnail) - and that worked great.
twobob's avatar might be a good candidate.

It would likely need to be resized.
Old 05-08-2022, 06:45 PM   #8
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Or the image used for non-booklet version of KUAL?

shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 01:01 PM   #9
cearp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Or the image used for non-booklet version of KUAL?
Perfect - I haven't seen that for ages, thank you!
Old 05-10-2022, 04:52 PM   #10
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
I had to find it in KUAL's source code repository
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:05 PM   #11
Gaqs
Enthusiast
Gaqs began at the beginning.

Device: KT4, PW3
Quote:

Could you please go over on how to do that for a noob? I don't think I can access /var/local/cc.db from usb on my computer.
Gaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:11 AM   #12
aguy
aguy began at the beginning.

Device: pw
Quote:

I think the cover is in the azw2 file
aguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 04:10 PM   #13
cearp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaqs View Post
Could you please go over on how to do that for a noob? I don't think I can access /var/local/cc.db from usb on my computer.
I made a tiny extension to do it for you:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...13&postcount=3
Old 05-11-2022, 06:57 PM   #14
Gaqs
Enthusiast
Gaqs began at the beginning.

Device: KT4, PW3
Quote:
Just saw that, thanks.

I was going to try to do it myself using kterm and vim but this is way better.
Gaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:21 PM   #15
EndlessEggroll
EndlessEggroll began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Thanks for the script, cearp!

I applied it on my KOA3 and it doesn't seem to work though... Do you have any idea why that could be?

I checked in cc.db and the change has been made but somehow the thumbnail still doesn't appear in the library.
EndlessEggroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kual