Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-12-2014, 03:52 AM   #1
skunkos
skunkos began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2 (9017)
Lightbulb Best way to achieve KPVBooklet + KOReader setup

My goal is this: JB my KINDLE (9071, PW2, 5.4.3.2), then use KPVBooklet (I like its look, and integration), and view my files (epub preferably), via KOReader. Optionally, I may want to disable silent updates.

I am thinking this as better step-by-step approach:

1. JB my PW2 with lates JailBreak, also install usb-net in this step.
2. Upgrade to 5.4.5.1 firmware (some say 5.4.3.2 is "broken", why is it broken?, is 5.4.5.1 firmware "best" in sense of compatibility with KUAL, KPVBooklet and KOReader)?
3. Install KUAL.
4. Install KPVBooklet. install KOReader.

Is this scheme okay?

More questions:

When I install KPVBooklet, does it replace the original "home screen" or it appears in original home screen and I have to launch it manually?

If I install KPVBooklet/KOReader and then KUAL, are they co-installable? Will KUAL appear as "book" in KPVBooklet?

Which extensions registers KOReader as default viewer for? Just ePub? And does that "registration" of KOreader for certain formats work for original "home screen" too?

I found "python-2.7" package in niluje nice thread. What is it good for? Just for fun or any package requires it?

PS: Many questions, I know, some are already partially answered, but I certainly feel it is important to have them answered in single thread.

Last edited by skunkos; 12-12-2014 at 04:34 AM.
skunkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:06 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkos View Post
My goal is this: JB my KINDLE (9071, PW2, 5.4.3.2), then use KPVBooklet (I like its look, and integration), and view my files (epub preferably), via KOReader.
Optionally, I may want to disable silent updates.
- - - - -
PS: Many questions, I know, some are already partially answered, but I certainly feel it is important to have them answered in single thread.
Emph. added.

#1: With that goal, disabling silent updates on your device **IS NOT** optional.
You have better do it now - before you turn on wireless again.

Better on a single Wiki page.
Open a Wiki page, add links to it in our master/topic index, then start typing.
Refine / Enhance the wiki page as you look up the answers to each part of your question.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:41 AM   #3
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkos View Post
[...]
Is this scheme okay?
I think so, with the important exception as emphasized by @knc1.

Quote:
More questions:

When I install KPVBooklet, does it replace the original "home screen" or it appears in original home screen and I have to launch it manually?
You don't launch it and it doesn't replace the original "home screen". It merely makes the existing one display more file types.

Quote:
If I install KPVBooklet/KOReader and then KUAL, are they co-installable? Will KUAL appear as "book" in KPVBooklet?
No, it will appear on the home screen (which is probably what you mean anyway).

Quote:
Which extensions registers KOReader as default viewer for? Just ePub? And does that "registration" of KOreader for certain formats work for original "home screen" too?
The "registration" is made by KPVBooklet, not Koreader, and yes, it works for the "home screen". You can see the file type list in the registration file: https://github.com/koreader/kpvbookl...es.install.sql
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:43 AM   #4
skunkos

Thank you for your answers, both of you. I will try it and will eventually create/edit appropriate wiki pages or I will write article on my blog and link it here.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #5
skunkos

USBnet can be installed AFTER I jailbreak/upgrade to 5.4.5.1? Or do I have to install USBnet before I upgrade to 5.4.5.1?
Old 12-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@skunkos: I strongly caution against playing with USBNet if you have no idea what it's for. That usually means you really, really don't need it.

But to answer the question: it doesn't really have anything to do with the JailBreak, it's a hack like any other, so, yeah, it depends on the device being jailbroken.
NiLuJe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #7
skunkos

Actually, I have used Linux for more than 5 years, using SSH daily. I am advanced Linux user. I am just new to Kindle.

I was reading through README of USB network, and there was nothing about "supported versions of FW", or at least I missed it.

Anyway, thank you very much for the info. I am thinking what application could I bring to kindle world.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@skunkos: Yup, that's because it's (usually) fairly version-agnostic, hence it should run on anything it can be installed on .

(That's an unwritten rule in my stuff: if there's no device/fw version info in the docs, that's because it's as universal as possible ).
Old 12-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
skunkos

Okay, sounds good. Thx for info. will try it out soon.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:25 PM   #10
axander
axander began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Hello,
Soon I'm in PW4 with version 5.10.1.3. I tried to jailbreak it and install KUAL, KPVBooklet and KoReader. However, I have a problem with opening ePub and fb2 books directly from the library showing me this message:

Unable to Open Item
The selected item could not be opened.If You purchased this item from Amazon, delete the item and download it again from the Cloud on Home.

When I launch KOReader through KUAL, these books open seamlessly.
I have installed kpvbooklet_0.6.7.pre3
This is the logos of the installation:

[2019-05-10 @ 21:27:00 +0300] :: [MRPI r15868] - Beginning the processing of package 'update_kpvbooklet_0.6.7.pre3_install.bin' (kpvbooklet 0.6.7.pre3 I) . . .

Extracting update package 'update_kpvbooklet_0.6.7.pre3_install.bin' to '/var/tmp/mrpi/staging'.
Bundle SP01 (Signing Envelope)
Cert number 0
Cert file pubdevkey01.pem (Developer)
Bundle FD04 (Versionless [vls])
Bundle Type OTA V2
Minimum OTA 0
Target OTA 18446744073709551615
Devices 53
Device Kindle 5 Touch WiFi (0x11)
Device Kindle 5 Touch WiFi+3G (0x0F)
Device Kindle 5 Touch WiFi+3G Europe (0x10)
Device Kindle PaperWhite WiFi (0x24)
Device Kindle PaperWhite WiFi+3G (0x1B)
Device Kindle PaperWhite WiFi+3G Canada (0x1C)
Device Kindle PaperWhite WiFi+3G Europe (0x1D)
Device Kindle PaperWhite WiFi+3G Japan (0x1F)
Device Kindle PaperWhite WiFi+3G Brazil (0x20)
Device Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi (0xD4)
Device Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi Japan (0x5A)
Device Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G (0xD5)
Device Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G Canada (0xD6)
Device Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G Europe (0xD7)
Device Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G Russia (0xD8)
Device Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G Japan (0xF2)
Device Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi (4GB) International (0x17)
Device Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G (4GB) Europe (0x60)
Device Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G (4GB) (0x62)
Device Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G (4GB) Canada (0x5F)
Device Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G (4GB) Brazil (0x61)
Device Kindle Basic (2014) (0xC6)
Device Kindle Basic (2014) Australia (0xDD)
Device Kindle Voyage WiFi (0x13)
Device Kindle Voyage WiFi+3G (0x54)
Device Kindle Voyage WiFi+3G Europe (0x53)
Device Kindle Voyage WiFi+3G Japan (0x2A)
Device Kindle Voyage WiFi+3G Mexico (0x52)
Device Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi (0G1 -> 0x201)
Device Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi+3G Japan (0G7 -> 0x207)
Device Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi+3G Canada (0G6 -> 0x206)
Device Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi+3G (0G2 -> 0x202)
Device Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi+3G Europe (0G5 -> 0x205)
Device Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi+3G Mexico (0G4 -> 0x204)
Device Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2016) WiFi (32GB) Japan (0LK -> 0x293)
Device White Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2016) WiFi (0KB -> 0x26B)
Device White Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2016) WiFi+3G Japan (0KC -> 0x26C)
Device White Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2016) WiFi (32GB) Japan (0LL -> 0x294)
Device White Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2016) WiFi+3G International (0KE -> 0x26E)
Device White Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2016) WiFi+3G International (Bis) (0KF -> 0x26F)
Device Kindle Oasis WiFi (0GC -> 0x20C)
Device Kindle Oasis WiFi+3G (0GD -> 0x20D)
Device Kindle Oasis WiFi+3G Europe (0GU -> 0x21C)
Device Kindle Oasis WiFi+3G International (0GR -> 0x219)
Device Kindle Oasis WiFi+3G China (0GT -> 0x21B)
Device Kindle Basic 2 (2016) (0K9 -> 0x269)
Device White Kindle Basic 2 (2016) (0KA -> 0x26A)
Device Kindle Oasis 2 (2017) WiFi (8GB) (0P8 -> 0x2E8)
Device Kindle Oasis 2 (2017) WiFi+3G (32GB) (0S1 -> 0x341)
Device Kindle Oasis 2 (2017) WiFi (32GB) (0SA -> 0x34A)
Device Kindle Oasis 2 (2017) WiFi+3G (32GB) Europe (0S2 -> 0x342)
Device Kindle PaperWhite 4 (2018) WiFi (8GB) (0PP -> 0x2F7)
Device Kindle PaperWhite 4 (2018) WiFi (32GB) (0T6 -> 0x366)
Critical 0
Padding Byte 0 (0x00)
MD5 Hash b6dc6d694cc4b50749f989113145abf8
Metadata 0
x mimes.install.sql
x extensions/
x whispertouch.install.sql
x KPVBooklet.jar
x install.ffs
x extensions/kpvbooklet/
x extensions/kpvbooklet/bin/
x extensions/kpvbooklet/config.xml
x extensions/kpvbooklet/menu.json
x extensions/kpvbooklet/bin/booklet.sh
x mimes.install.sql.sig
x whispertouch.install.sql.sig
x KPVBooklet.jar.sig
x install.ffs.sig
x extensions/kpvbooklet/config.xml.sig
x extensions/kpvbooklet/menu.json.sig
x extensions/kpvbooklet/bin/booklet.sh.sig
x update-filelist.dat.sig
x update-filelist.dat
--
Running 'install.ffs' for 'kpvbooklet 0.6.7.pre3 I' (update_kpvbooklet_0.6.7.pre3_install.bin) @ Fri, 10 May 2019 21:27:00 +0300

update_to_display: update_mode=PARTIAL, wave_mode=257 inverted=0
system: I mntroot:def:Making root filesystem writeable
system: I mntroot:def:Making root filesystem read-only

Success!
axander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:28 PM   #11
axander
axander began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Hello,
I'm with PW4 with version 5.10.1.3. I successfully jailbreak it and install KUAL, KPVBooklet and KoReader. However, I have a problem with opening ePub and fb2 books directly from the library showing me this message:

Unable to Open Item
The selected item could not be opened.If You purchased this item from Amazon, delete the item and download it again from the Cloud on Home.

I have installed kpvbooklet_0.6.7.pre3 and the latest version of KOReader.

Last edited by axander; 05-10-2019 at 03:31 PM.
axander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axander View Post
Hello,
I'm with PW4 with version 5.10.1.3. I successfully jailbreak it and install KUAL, KPVBooklet and KoReader. However, I have a problem with opening ePub and fb2 books directly from the library showing me this message:

Unable to Open Item

I have installed kpvbooklet_0.6.7.pre3 and the latest version of KOReader.
IIRC, the PW4 is one of the models with the 'new' Androidized file system (and possible changes to the database schemas).

If so, you probably need a special build of KPVbooklet.
Again, IIRC, it is posted here, somewhere.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:19 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

KPVBooklet is basically unsupported on FW >= 5.8/5.9.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:58 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
KPVBooklet is basically unsupported on FW >= 5.8/5.9.
Thanks!
I will try to remember that for the next time someone asks.

I do recall having a discussion about how the DB schema changed and the new DB files that where added.
But I guess the discussion never got to the "update KPVBooklet" stage, although it was mentioned.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:06 AM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

It's mostly when the Booklet API got obfuscated that all hell broke loose .

Tags
koreader, kpvbooklet, kual, pw2