Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-11-2016, 01:43 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Comparison of supported html and css tags in various ebook formats

I was googling around, and came upon these tables of ebook-format/platform comparisons at atavist.com (an online publishing platform).

CSS Support:
http://help.atavist.com/ebook:css

HTML Support:
http://help.atavist.com/ebook:html

I am not sure how current the information is (no dates displayed on their pages), but the site blog has articles posted in 2015 and 2016.

Possibly useful?

A very interesting point:
Quote:
Adobe Digital Editions (affects Bluefire Reader and ADE apps)

◾ ADE will remove all custom styles if your CSS file has any validation errors

◾ ADE will remove all custom styles if your CSS file has any media queries in it. We’ve filed this as a bug with Adobe but don’t know of a fix date.

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 07-11-2016 at 02:20 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:55 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
I was googling around, and came upon these tables of ebook-format/platform comparisons at atavist.com (an online publishing platform).

CSS Support:
http://help.atavist.com/ebook:css

HTML Support:
http://help.atavist.com/ebook:html

I am not sure how current the information is (no dates displayed on their pages), but the site blog has articles posted in 2015 and 2016.

Possibly useful?

A very interesting point:
Thanks, that's quite helpful
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #3
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
ADE doesn't barf on all media queries; it has a very limited hack that explicitly ignores a few of the most basic queries, but things like "not" trip it up. And many of the other "at rules" explode in various ways, including @page.

More to the point, ADE does not follow the CSS specification's rules for how to handle unknown declarations; the spec makes it clear how to parse both at rules and normal rules, and how to find the end of that declaration. The spec also makes it clear that unknown rules should be ignored. ADE's parser does neither.

IMO, Adobe needs to grab one of the many open source CSS parser implementations and use it, rather than reimplementing the wheel (badly).

The way I solve this is to treat ADE as the baseline style, and put all my @media and @page queries into a separate CSS file that modifies the styles from there. I also put a few nonstandard styles that fix rendering on specific nonstandard rendering engines but cause ADE to barf. ADE, of course, barfs on that second CSS stylesheet and ignores it, but it doesn't matter, because none of those styles are intended to apply to ADE.

Last edited by dgatwood; 07-11-2016 at 09:42 PM.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote