Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-26-2016, 08:21 AM   #16
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There's a lot of converters out there, primarily aimed at fetching text from a layered pdf. Most of them are crap (God knows how many I've tried), but if your document are really text and a few images (but no foreground layer with an image of a scanned page), you might get a very decent result from Lighten PDF-to-Word. There's a free version, that only converts to word and clean text, which should suffice for the purpose at hand.

It's no direct conversion to epub or Kindle, but it yields nicely formatted Word docx (depending on the source, of course). And from Word to epub to Kindle is much easier than from PDF - there are various tools for the word --> epub conversion, e.g. Atlantis Word Processor, TextMaker Wordprocessor, Calibre conversion, Toxaris' plugin for word - etc. - search the forums - and the Kindle Previewer can convert the epub afaik (I'm not a Kindle user, though).

Oh, and by the way: I am not and have never been in any way affiliated or associated with Lighten.

Regards,

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:35 AM   #17
jodad
jodad began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
There's a lot of converters out there, primarily aimed at fetching text from a layered pdf. Most of them are crap (God knows how many I've tried), but if your document are really text and a few images (but no foreground layer with an image of a scanned page), you might get a very decent result from Lighten PDF-to-Word. There's a free version, that only converts to word and clean text, which should suffice for the purpose at hand.

It's no direct conversion to epub or Kindle, but it yields nicely formatted Word docx (depending on the source, of course). And from Word to epub to Kindle is much easier than from PDF - there are various tools for the word --> epub conversion, e.g. Atlantis Word Processor, TextMaker Wordprocessor, Calibre conversion, Toxaris' plugin for word - etc. - search the forums - and the Kindle Previewer can convert the epub afaik (I'm not a Kindle user, though).

Oh, and by the way: I am not and have never been in any way affiliated or associated with Lighten.

Regards,

Kim

Aaah Kim thank you very much for this information! I think i will try this first. This sounds awesome!

The members of this forum have thus far been very kind and helpful so thanks to all.
jodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:07 AM   #18
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
I am interested in what this 6000 page beast actually is. Is it a compilation of technical manuals or something?
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:33 AM   #19
jodad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
I am interested in what this 6000 page beast actually is. Is it a compilation of technical manuals or something?
No not at all! It is a compilation of literature. The gateway collection.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:00 PM   #20
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Might be best to buy a reader or tablet that uses the PDF Format.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-7-...ds=fire+tablet

Last edited by Barbara1955; 05-26-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #21
jodad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Might be best to buy a reader or tablet that uses the PDF Format.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-7-...ds=fire+tablet

I don't like reading on glossy screens otherwise it would have been fine on my iPad. I prefer e ink or whatever it's called now. I considered one of those Sony e papers but they are insanely ££
Old 05-28-2016, 09:19 AM   #22
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
This is how I deal with text PDFs:

1 - Crop headers and footers with BRISS.

2 - Import and convert with MOBIPOCKET CREATOR professional edition.

3 - Import the HTML output form MOBIPOCKET CREATOR with Sigil.

4 - Correct and apply the desired formatting with Sigil. Depending on the PDF, this may take from some hours to several days.

Good luck

PS: Both BRISS and MOBIPOCKET CREATOR are free.
Pablo is online now   Reply With Quote