Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-09-2016, 05:51 AM   #46
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Apple may have won the DRM wars, but many legitimate ebook buyers simply won't buy any ebooks if they can't remove the DRM and backup their books.
Also many publishers now offer watermarked DRM-free books because they've realized that many of their customers can't be bothered with DRM handling.
It may sound counter-intuitive, but you actually might get more sales, if you offer your book DRM-free via KDP.
Or through Smashwords. Then you never have to decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Apple didn't win the DRM wars, far from it. The point is, iBooks have a too small a share to be interesting for 'pirates'. There are only so much books only released on iBooks. If they want, they could crack the DRM of iBooks in a week easily. They have done it before.
I also refuse to use 'pirates' and DRM removal as similar or equal. I always remove DRM, but I never share my books and I know there are many more like that. The reason is simple and I will give you a small example. I recently bought two original e-books (also having the paper book, but that is besides the point). I quickly realized it was a digitized version of the paper book with bad, bad OCR and post-processing by someone who didn't understand the language or really didn't care. It was to such a point I deemed it unreadable. By removing DRM I was able to correct the errors. I am not exaggerating when I say there were between 2500-3000 errors per book. The publisher didn't care when I pointed it out to them.
Reasons like that is why I remove DRM. DRM costs a lot of money for the publisher and is no protection at all. Social watermarking is a much better solution.
Guys:

You know we're all wasting our breath here, right? This guy (or woman) hasn't listened to a single thing we've said--about anything that mattered--since this thread started. Not about ePUB and XHTML structure, the dreaded "automatic conversion intrusions and detections," or anything else. So...this is really

And, yes, I know--I'm the one who's most guilty of continuing to try to assist him/her. But sheesh. Enough already. Even I get tired of whacking myself in the head with a hammer, after a while.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:08 AM   #47
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
https://books.google.ca/books/about/...UC&redir_esc=y
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote