Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #1
varaonaid
Enthusiast
varaonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: Win 10 PC, Android Smartphone & Tablet, Considering my first e-ink
Converting PDFs

Hello,

When last I delved into organizing my ebooks - which has been longer ago than I care to admit - converting PDF's into other more usable and reflow-able formats such as epub and mobi often ended up with really terrible outputs. I seem to remember hearing about a PDF conversion software (free, I think) that had improved a great deal on the conversion process. In the process of looking for it I found K2PDFOPT (http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/) which seems to improve PDF's for smaller screens but still doesn't move it over to a reflowable text format.

Does anyone know if there are improvements now in converting directly from PDF to epub/mobi or even using something like K2PDFOPT as a middle ground conversion to then convert to one of the ebook formats? I'd really be interested in learning about this as it would open up more possibilities for my library setup and easier reading on more devices.

Thanks so much in advance!
varaonaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:53 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Workshop forum, where such questions belong.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A decent OCR program, such as Abbyy Finereader is often the best way to convert PDF to a reflowable format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:13 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This sticky post from the Calibre Conversion forum has some useful tips ==>> Read this before Posting PDF Questions

For simple 'books' mobicreator often does a reasonable job.

There's no 'one size fits all' solution for converting PDF's, and there's almost always some editing to do on the conversion output.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote