Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-21-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
sd mamory card questions

My 505 should be arrivng today and I am sooooooo excited!!!! I have a memory card I am dying to get ready for the reader but I don't really know if there is anything specific I need to do. I want to add some music to the card and maybe a couple books that i bought from booksonboard. Can I just make a folder and put the books in it and then make another folder and drop the music I want into it or is it more complicated than that. The books are already in the .lrf format that I will need on the reader. Also does it "confuse" the reader if I am frequently changing memory cards or anything?
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:56 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Sony Reader will "re-index" your card every time you take them out of the Reader or when you add books (either with Sony's software or with Calibre). So if you have lots of books on the card(s), you'll be frustrated waiting for the card to re-index.

Beyond that, I don't think the Reader will "mind" if you switch out cards regularly.

What I have noticed is, if the card doesn't have a folder named "Sony Reader" on it, the Reader doesn't seem to recognize the card at all. Once you have the folder there, even if you put the books just on the root directory (like "E:\book.lrf").

Windows has a limit of the number of files that can be in a root directory, so I wouldn't recommend it if you plan to have lots of books, but it will read books from there.

I have never tried making separate folders - these days, I mostly transfer using Calibre, so I just let it do whatever it will do.

HTH
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2009, 02:08 AM   #3
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
No problem for organizing folders on the SD card. You're free.

I have a calibre folder at root level, close to the Sony reader one. But inside, I do whatever I wish, grouping pdf and epub by types and so on

For the pdf, I take care of checking the meta-data with a freeware before uploading. I do not use calibre for it.

Once I had a problem. I destroyed the file called cache.xml and let the reader recreate it again (some minutes because I have lots of books).

To backup files, I use a Linux synchronizing tool called grsync which is very handy. I do not keep either a calibre library.

These are just personal tips I'm happy with. I don't pretend it's the perfect solution.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:09 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would very, very strongly advise you not to use the Reader as an MP3 player. The MP3 facilities are primitive in the extreme - there's no way of sorting music other than in alphabetical order of ID3 tag and, worst of all, there's no "stop" button - only a "pause" - the result of which is that it's extremely easy to inadvertently leave music playing, which will drain the battery completely flat it a few hours.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
Thanks for the tips. I got my reader yesterday and I absolutely love it. There is no stop button for the music?? I didn't realize it ws just a pause button.............so how do you turn it off?? Does it turn off when you turn the reader off?
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert