Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #16
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
THOROUGHLY seconded. The "Thraxas" books are wonderful. I'm especially fond of his barbarian, ax-wielding, chainmail-bikini-wearing girlfriend . They're written by Martin Scott. Although they can be read independently, they're best read as a series. Unfortunately it all rather ends "mid story" because the author had a contractual disagreement with Baen over what should have been the final book in the series.
Ouch! Does this means the series will be unfinished? Or the author will release subsequent novels in another publisher?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Apologies for the omission .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Ouch! Does this means the series will be unfinished? Or the author will release subsequent novels in another publisher?
The author has a blog on which the whole story is explained, but unfortunately I can't find the address at present (do you know where it is, Xenophon?). I think the current situation is that he hopes to write an ending at some point, but there are no definite plans for it yet.

Don't let it put you off the series. The 8 (I think it's 8) books in it are great!
Old 04-05-2009, 02:06 PM   #19
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Zelda:

The aforementioned Lord Darcy stories are truly excellent. Randal Garrett accepted a challenge from John W. Campbell editor of Astounding Science Fiction -- then the leading SF magazine in the world -- to write a mystery in a fantasy setting that didn't cheat on the mystery aspect. All necessary information is available to the reader. The laws of magic are explained (enough), and are scrupulously followed. No "Holmesian" "but I knew from examination of the cigar ashes that..." denoument -- when the examination of the cigar ashes and what Holmes knew therefrom was never indicated to the reader. As an editor Campbell strongly believed that technology (whether SF or Magical) and story background had to be consistent; he published quite a lot of Hard SF because of that bias. Randall Garrett not only satisfied Campbell, he (metaphorically) hit the ball completely out of the park! These stories are really good!

Lord Darcy as a character is something of a hybrid of Sherlock Holmes, Lord Peter Whimsey, and James Bond. At various points in the stories you'll recognize homage to many of the great mystery writers and characters who have gone before. Don't miss these books.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #20
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
*making notes* Lots of interesting-sounding books here...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You can find the explanation at

http://martin-millar.blogspot.com/2007/12/thraxas.html

I've no idea what the contractual problems were with Baen. A shame they couldn't come to an agreement.

Hopefully something will get worked out eventually, whether with Baen or with another publisher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The author has a blog on which the whole story is explained, but unfortunately I can't find the address at present (do you know where it is, Xenophon?). I think the current situation is that he hopes to write an ending at some point, but there are no definite plans for it yet.

Don't let it put you off the series. The 8 (I think it's 8) books in it are great!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You can find the explanation at

http://martin-millar.blogspot.com/2007/12/thraxas.html

I've no idea what the contractual problems were with Baen. A shame they couldn't come to an agreement.
That's the one I was looking for! Thanks for posting the link.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #23
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Zelda:

The aforementioned Lord Darcy stories are truly excellent. Randal Garrett accepted a challenge from John W. Campbell editor of Astounding Science Fiction -- then the leading SF magazine in the world -- to write a mystery in a fantasy setting that didn't cheat on the mystery aspect. All necessary information is available to the reader. The laws of magic are explained (enough), and are scrupulously followed. No "Holmesian" "but I knew from examination of the cigar ashes that..." denoument -- when the examination of the cigar ashes and what Holmes knew therefrom was never indicated to the reader. As an editor Campbell strongly believed that technology (whether SF or Magical) and story background had to be consistent; he published quite a lot of Hard SF because of that bias. Randall Garrett not only satisfied Campbell, he (metaphorically) hit the ball completely out of the park! These stories are really good!

Lord Darcy as a character is something of a hybrid of Sherlock Holmes, Lord Peter Whimsey, and James Bond. At various points in the stories you'll recognize homage to many of the great mystery writers and characters who have gone before. Don't miss these books.

Xenophon
*Lord Darcy stories shooting to the top of my list...*

that sounds excellent, and i did think immediately of Lord Peter Wimsey when i saw the name.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #24
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Put Thraxas on my wishlist.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #25
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold is character-driven SF/Adventure. But a number of the novels and stories are also mysteries.

If you're not too sure about SF, start with the (free!) novella The Mountains of Mourning; it's definitely a mystery, and is sufficiently self-contained to stand quite well on its own. It's a super story, that won both of SF's highest awards the year it was published (the Hugo and the Nebula). This one is certainly worth your time, whether you continue on to any of the others or not.

If The Mountains of Mourning convinces you to give the rest of the series a try, you'll probably want to read them in chronological order. You can find that order from the timeline included at the end of The Mountains of Mourning. These books are solid gold -- I cannot possibly recommend them strongly enough! Over the years, I've pushed them on many friends and relatives. Even the ones who "don't like science fiction" liked them.

The mysteries in the series are (at least) the novels Cetaganda, Memory, Komarr, and Diplomatic Immunity. Ethan of Athos (a sort of a side-jaunt from the main line of the series) is also sort-of a mystery.

Xenophon

P.S. The most cost-effective way to buy the eBooks is as Omnibus editions; each of which includes more than one novel from the series. Those editions are largely, but not entirely in chronological order.

Last edited by Xenophon; 04-05-2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #26
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold is character-driven SF/Adventure. But a number of the novels and stories are also mysteries.

If you're not too sure about SF, start with the (free!) novella The Mountains of Mourning; it's definitely a mystery, and is sufficiently self-contained to stand quite well on its own. It's a super story, that won both of SF's highest awards the year it was published (the Hugo and the Nebula). This one is certainly worth your time, whether you continue on to any of the others or not.

If The Mountains of Mourning convinces you to give the rest of the series a try, you'll probably want to read them in chronological order. You can find that order from the timeline included at the end of The Mountains of Mourning. These books are solid gold -- I cannot possibly recommend them strongly enough! Over the years, I've pushed them on many friends and relatives. Even the ones who "don't like science fiction" liked them.

The mysteries in the series are (at least) the novels Cetaganda, Memory, Komarr, and Diplomatic Immunity. Ethan of Athos (a sort of a side-jaunt from the main line of the series) is also sort-of a mystery.

Xenophon

P.S. The most cost-effective way to buy the eBooks is as Omnibus editions; each of which includes more than one novel from the series. Those editions are largely, but not entirely in chronological order.
thanks xenophon !! free is very welcome to test out a series (particularly since i'm exploring a genre i don't usually read), and since i'm trying to keep a fairly tight rein on my book-buying budget currently (too many books to be read already, and keeping a close eye on expenses given the current state of the world economy...) i can't buy all the books at once right away. i'll take a look at that one for sure. but once i'm ready to spend a bit of money Lord Darcy is still at the top of my list. luckily those are available in an omnibus for a mere 4$ so hopefully i'll get to them soon.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #27
Xenophon
curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
thanks xenophon !! free is very welcome to test out a series (particularly since i'm exploring a genre i don't usually read), and since i'm trying to keep a fairly tight rein on my book-buying budget currently (too many books to be read already, and keeping a close eye on expenses given the current state of the world economy...) i can't buy all the books at once right away. i'll take a look at that one for sure. but once i'm ready to spend a bit of money Lord Darcy is still at the top of my list. luckily those are available in an omnibus for a mere 4$ so hopefully i'll get to them soon.
When it comes to watching your expenses, it's interesting to note that several of the recommended books are in the Baen Free Library. These include the novella The Mountains of Mourning, and the first of the two Doc Sidhe books. Also, the first 25% of every book is available as a free sample on line.

<pull hat down over eyes, pull up collar of trench coat>
Pssssst! Hey! Hey, kid!! Wanna try some eBooks? First hit's free...
</pull hat down over eyes, pull up collar of trench coat>

Xenophon

Last edited by Xenophon; 04-05-2009 at 04:13 PM. Reason: fix emphasis
Old 04-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #28
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
When it comes to watching your expenses, it's interesting to note that several of the recommended books are in the Baen Free Library. These include the novella The Mountains of Mourning, and the first of the two Doc Sidhe books. Also, the first 25% of every book is available as a free sample on line.
that's great to know !! thanks.

Quote:
<pull hat down over eyes, pull up collar of trench coat>
Pssssst! Hey! Hey, kid!! Wanna try some eBooks? First hit's free...
</pull hat down over eyes, pull up collar of trench coat>
teehee... of course, it's probably a little late to try to get me hooked on ebooks. but it might work for the genre, you never know.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #29
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
In addition to the listed above...
Collection of fantasy mysteries: The Dragon Done It, edited by Eric Flint & Mike Resnick.
Intro, book page.
Retief! by Keith Laumer and Retief's Peace by William H. Keith Jr. chronicle the adventures of Retief, who often has to apply his deductive powers to thwart whatever enemies are plotting against Corps Diplomatique Terrestrienne.
John Ringo's Princess of Wands contains a take on "Ten Little Niggers" with a supernatural twist.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #30
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
In addition to the listed above...
Collection of fantasy mysteries: The Dragon Done It, edited by Eric Flint & Mike Resnick.
Intro, book page.
Retief! by Keith Laumer and Retief's Peace by William H. Keith Jr. chronicle the adventures of Retief, who often has to apply his deductive powers to thwart whatever enemies are plotting against Corps Diplomatique Terrestrienne.
John Ringo's Princess of Wands contains a take on "Ten Little Niggers" with a supernatural twist.
thanks igorsk ! i'll take a look at those too ! i'll stay away from princess of wands though. Ten Little Niggers was the only agatha christie that ever scared the pants off me. once was enough.

Tags
baen, mystery