Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Smile Multi Level Headers

This is copied from the "enhancement" thread. Please make comments here.

I found my favorite format, easily made with my software, is a pdf published by my WordPerfect with 4x6 page size and 14 point text.

Anyway, in my WordPerfect, I use the "Headings" which provide the "links" when I "publish" the pdf with the proper settings.

Well, I was trying multi level headings, Heading 1 for the book title and heading 2 for Chapters, and I decided to try Heading 3 for some subunits. When I published the document to pdf and read it on my PEZ I was pleasantly surprised.

On the "Catalog" page, the Heading 1 shows up with an icon beside it. When I choose that level, the subheading then open up, like the + and - in the folder options in Windows. When I choose again, the subheadings close up.

The first picture is the file, NLT Matthew (Christian Bible), then I show the Catalog page shown when I press button 7. It shows Matthew with an icon. I press number 1 and get the subheading of the Chapter 1. I pressed its number and get the next level of subheadings. (sorry, I loaded them in a different order)

Oops, my granddaughter got in there

AJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2299.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	37024   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2300.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	37025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2302.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	37026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2298.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	37028   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2239.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	37029  

Last edited by AJ Starr; 10-07-2009 at 10:11 AM.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Further info on multi level headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Well, I was trying multi level headings, Heading 1 for the book title and heading 2 for Chapters, and I decided to try Heading 3 for some subunits. When I published the document to pdf and read it on my PEZ I was pleasantly surprised.

On the "Catalog" page, the Heading 1 shows up with an icon beside it. When I choose that level, the subheading then open up, like the + and - in the folder options in Windows. When I choose again, the subheadings close up.

AJ

I was just playing with the file again. It seems that the hyperlink for the headers goes to the physcial page that the hyperlink is on, not the zoomed page. I zoom the file in, and the 5th verse was on several zoomed pages away, but the hyperlink always took me to the original, unzoomed, page the hyperlink was on.

I guess I need to add some more links through some more pages to fully check it out.

AJ
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Yes, this is the way all links work and bookmarks as well. Note that PDF is not the only format with multilevel links in the TOC. Certainly true of ePUB as well and probably mobi. Currently the top entry on a page of multilevel links goes back to the previous level which is also what the exit (back arrow) key does as well. I see no need for the two methods and have proposed that the first entry actually go to the entry in the eBook. Currently, if you have several levels in the TOC only the most detailed entry will actually go to the ebook which means if there is text between the levels you can't directly reach it and more keystrokes are required.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
AJ Starr
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Yes, this is the way all links work and bookmarks as well. Note that PDF is not the only format with multilevel links in the TOC. Certainly true of ePUB as well and probably mobi. Currently the top entry on a page of multilevel links goes back to the previous level which is also what the exit (back arrow) key does as well. I see no need for the two methods and have proposed that the first entry actually go to the entry in the eBook. Currently, if you have several levels in the TOC only the most detailed entry will actually go to the ebook which means if there is text between the levels you can't directly reach it and more keystrokes are required.

Dale
I hadn't even thought of the inability to go to the parent header. I was excited about this feature as I had not seen it before. So far I've only read Fiction which I only use the Chapter links.

I decided to play around with the Bible book in my word processor to see what effects I could get with footnotes and endnotes, and found this feature by happy happenstance.

AJ
Old 01-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
AJ, so with this method, how easy is it to navigate through your Bible? I've been looking for an NIV to purchase for my Pocket Pro (whenever I actually get it *lol*), but from what I've read online it's pretty difficult to navigate. I'm looking for something that would be easy to find books and chapters in a church setting. With this method, how easy or difficult is it to find any given book and chapter? Does it go quickly, or is it rather time consuming? I've thought about trying to put something together myself, but haven't the foggiest idea where to start. But if it wouldn't work to quickly get to a book and chapter, I won't even bother trying. We have an older version of Word Perfect, do you need a newer version for what you're doing? If I tried this I don't think I'd link to individual verses, just chapters. I'm guessing it wouldn't be too difficult to just turn pages and find the verses I need. Does that make sense? Thanks!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
AJ Starr
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
AJ, so with this method, how easy is it to navigate through your Bible? I've been looking for an NIV to purchase for my Pocket Pro (whenever I actually get it *lol*), but from what I've read online it's pretty difficult to navigate. I'm looking for something that would be easy to find books and chapters in a church setting. With this method, how easy or difficult is it to find any given book and chapter? Does it go quickly, or is it rather time consuming? I've thought about trying to put something together myself, but haven't the foggiest idea where to start. But if it wouldn't work to quickly get to a book and chapter, I won't even bother trying. We have an older version of Word Perfect, do you need a newer version for what you're doing? If I tried this I don't think I'd link to individual verses, just chapters. I'm guessing it wouldn't be too difficult to just turn pages and find the verses I need. Does that make sense? Thanks!
I too, wanted an easy Bible on my PP. I have done several things. First, though I know you asked for NIV, I found a King James Complete Bible on Gutenberg. See link here.

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/10

If you will go down the page, use the Epub (experimental) format. Gutenberg has provided an Epub download for just about every book I have searchd for. Anyway, I downloaded the Epub, and put it on my internal memory of my PP and it is GREAT (excepting the fact that is is KIV not one of the better versions.) The TOC is great, the response is great and it will satisfy for a "traditional" version on your PP.

As far as my translating my NLT version. That was a software progam I had purschased years and years ago which provided each Book in a pdf format. I was editing to make them fit on my PP, but once Astak came out with the 9 levels of zoom, I no longer needed to reedit them. The only problem with pdf's is that when you zoom you lose indentations and centering. Anyway, I put all of the books, in the NLT pdf, on my internal memory.

I also put the handbook which was also part of the software, though it has non-reflowable charts which are hard to read. But the maps are good to have reference.

Also in Gutenberg, I found five of Josephus books. They also had an Epub download and they work great.

I haven't found a NIV yet, maybe someday Gutenberg will have it, or maybe it will be available for purchase. If you find something like that please post here.

As I just wanted my Bible as a reference, these were good enough for me, along with the dictionary and thesarus I found from various sources.

As far as using your Wordperfect, I wouldn't suggest trying the project unless you are an experience word processor. And then it would take many many hour upon hours to do. I haven't even finished Matthew (I tend to get sidetracked easily)

If the multi level TOC's are done right, it goes fast. The KIV that I referenced is very easy and fast. The First level is the Books, after you select a book, then the Chapters of that book are listed. Then just choose a Chapter and it goes to the Chapter heading.

Sorry if this response is a bit disjointed, it's late and I haven't worked with the Bible/TOC since I posted orginally.

Good Luck,
AJ
Old 01-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #7
Belgrave
Belgrave began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
I haven't found a NIV yet, maybe someday Gutenberg will have it, or maybe it will be available for purchase. If you find something like that please post here.
You won't find the NIV in Gutenberg since it's still under copyright and Zondervan (the company that owns it) charges royalties for websites that use more than 500 or so verses from it. Interestingly, I did discover that Zondervan was now selling e-book versions of the NIV on their website: http://www.zondervan.com/Cultures/en...Site=Zondervan. I don't know if there is any DRM on it though.
Belgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
AJ Starr
Guru

After pursing their FAQ, I saw they do put DRM on the files, essentially to prevent copying. However, if you just want to read off the Pocke Pro, choose the epub version using the Adobe DE, and send it to the PP from there. That should work.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #9
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

AJ, thank you for the link to the KJV Bible. I've got that bookmarked now so I can go back to it when I get my Pocket Pro. And thanks for the advice about formatting my own version of NIV. I think I will pass on that, and wait to see if something comes out commercially. I would like either NIV or NLT, although I prefer NIV. That is what I use for personal reading, but my Bible is quite large (it's a wide margin Bible for taking notes) so it is a bit cumbersome taking to church. That's why I was hoping to find something for the ereader. But from the things I've read here on the forum, the TOC is very difficult to navigate in the one that's offered by Zondervan.

Belgrave, thank you for that link. I ran across it a few days ago and emailed Zondervan, asking them about the table of contents, and whether or not it is easy to navigate through. I have not yet heard back from them, but I am hoping to hear back soon.

I probably won't purchase something if it is too difficult to quickly navigate to any given book and chapter, as that would be too time consuming in church. By the time I got where I wanted to be, the pastor would probably be onto the next point. I'll keep looking though, and maybe something will come available. Thanks both of you for your input!
Old 01-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The newest popular out of copyright Bible is the ASV published in 1901. It is pretty good version and public domain copies exist. I tried putting it on ePUB but I need to redo it as ADE has a bug that I hit and I'll have to redo it. It is a lot of work to put in all the chapter links but if the device can search then having short form text present in the document can make it easier.

Dale
Old 01-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #11
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Thank you, Dale. Would searching for a book and chapter bring up that particular chapter? For example, if I did a search for Matthew 1, would that bring up that chapter? (And as far as that goes, I wonder if I could do the same with the Zondervan NIV?) Also, can the Astak Pocket Pro do this sort of simple search?

Thank you!
Old 01-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
Thank you, Dale. Would searching for a book and chapter bring up that particular chapter? For example, if I did a search for Matthew 1, would that bring up that chapter? (And as far as that goes, I wonder if I could do the same with the Zondervan NIV?) Also, can the Astak Pocket Pro do this sort of simple search?

Thank you!
Yes, don't know, yes, I have decided to rework the ePUB I have and put in chapter level in the TOC. But you can also search. I will be updating the new testament soon. If you are in a book you could also search {2:1} to get to chapter 2 verse 1.

Dale
Old 01-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #13
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Thank you, Dale!
Old 01-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Here you go. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=742596
Don't expect the Old Testament so soon. There is a lot of work before it will be ready.

Dale
Old 01-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #15
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Wow, thanks Dale! I downloaded it to my computer and it looks great, and very easy to search!