Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #91
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldlyDubious View Post
Yes. As clauses are written in a contract. However (in my country at least) there are special classes of clauses that need to be signed not only once, but multiple times to be valid/enforceable: this ensures that your attention is drawn towards them.
I disagree. If you make the conscious decision to ignore the Terms and Conditions you should live with the consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Good god, some of you people are simply unbelievable! If you are that worried about your damn privacy, then get the hell off of your pc & throw it out don't go online for anything whatsoever and live in a cave somewhere! Oh and don't use a cellphone or a pc at work or any current technology.

I have no problem with Amazon sending me ads for wheeled luggage since I am shopping for one currently. If they post an ad that strikes my fancy then I will buy it. That is a benefit for me.

Now you know I'm looking for luggage, just what are you, the govt, or anyone else can/going to do with that knowledge that can possibly help you and hurt me?

Go take your medication and make an appt. with your therapist or just crawl into an anonymous hole somewhere.
I'll give you an analogy. What happens in your house is private. Of course if drapes don't cover your windows people walking down the street are going to see inside, and people that you invite to come in your house are going to see even more. But if for example you want to buy furniture and you hire a company that needs to take measurements so they can give you suggestions you might be upset if that company passes your floor plans to interested parties. I don't think that the solution is to never let anyone walk into your house and block your windows, I think that the solution if to have legislation that makes it illegal to pass this information.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #92
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
I disagree. If you make the conscious decision to ignore the Terms and Conditions you should live with the consequences.

I'll give you an analogy. What happens in your house is private. Of course if drapes don't cover your windows people walking down the street are going to see inside, and people that you invite to come in your house are going to see even more. But if for example you want to buy furniture and you hire a company that needs to take measurements so they can give you suggestions you might be upset if that company passes your floor plans to interested parties. I don't think that the solution is to never let anyone walk into your house and block your windows, I think that the solution if to have legislation that makes it illegal to pass this information.
Yes, exactly! If it is not for the agreed upon purpose.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 07-20-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #93
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I've been aware of data mining since the early 90's and aware og Amazon's data mining for about 2 year I think. How can you not be aware when you browse something on Amazon and it immediately is followed by a string of related adware on google etc.

In the 90's with things like gator and airmiles cards it was pretty obvious that data was being collected. I was pretty paranoid about it for at least 10 years and avoided loyalty cards, instant sign up engines and anything that smacked of data mining.

Of course I realized long ago that it was futile to resist. My credit card statements have spending reports. One card even had it broken down how much I had purchased of toiletries, prescriptions or groceries from a store.

So now I have loyalty cards as they do save me a fair amount and the data is being mined already through my bank and credit cards.

I could give up the plastic, and go strictly cash, but I chose not to.

I don't mind targeted ads, and actually rarely see them, although there is a subliminal effect. But not any worse than Television ads and less intrusive than mail ads IMO.

And for most of us the ads are the big effect. Sure we all have secrets to hide, although I doubt I am blackmail material, and I doubt I am open to criminal prosecution, although one never knows.

And for most of us what will happen?The courst seem to tied up, and the jails to full for authorities to arrest known repeat offenders of anything but the most serious crimes and even then it seems not to happen.

But of course I am being to blasé about it all. We know that many countries and governments have used networks of spies against segments of the general populace and decimated whole populations as far back as biblical times. It has been possible and has been done even in recent times without the internet. (not being specific as that might be construed as political which is not my intent).

Sure we can all get up in arms about it and demand it is stopped, but I doubt it will have much effect. Still while I am not going to get up and create my own bandstand as I think it is futile and am really not that outraged I would be willing to support any of the people here who have expressed extreme outrage if they are going to go public with their objections in a constructive manner, as opposed to expressing extreme outrage and waiting for someone else to do something about it.

PM me if you have a petition that needs signing with your name at the top and if I agree with the premise I will sign it and post it.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #94
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
This is about COMMON SENSE! If I don't want it out in public, I DON'T POST ABOUT IT!
A couple of points:

One is that common sense isn't something that everyone has about everything. Believe it or not, many people either don't know that they shouldn't be giving out certain information. To give you an example: I work in a place that requires us to hold onto a customer's photo identification. Sometimes people don't have any on them, so they try to use their credit card. They simply don't realize that most credit cards include enough information on them to conduct fraudulent transactions.

The second point kinda ties into the first. Even a person who is quite dilligent about not handing over personal information may be unaware that they are inadvertently handing over personal information when using certain software or online services. A phone's a phone. A game's a game. Why should playing a game on your phone tell the game publisher where you live? It may not do so directly, but they can certainly infer where you live based upon your geolocation data. In many cases they can make a good guess as to who you are based upon cross referencing with other databases (e.g. phone directories). Get the right types of data, and you can actually tell a fair bit about a person.

So no, it's not a matter of common sense.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #95
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:

There are lots of choices, hire someone who is local based on friends recommendations. Hire a handyman who is more interested in making a living rather then farming out your info. or use Lowe's or Home Depot knowing that they will give out your info & you will start getting mail from other vendors. Or finally, become your own handyman and do it yourself!

There are plenty of options for people to choose from that do NOT require legislation!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #96
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
A couple of points:

One is that common sense isn't something that everyone has about everything. Believe it or not, many people either don't know that they shouldn't be giving out certain information. To give you an example: I work in a place that requires us to hold onto a customer's photo identification. Sometimes people don't have any on them, so they try to use their credit card. They simply don't realize that most credit cards include enough information on them to conduct fraudulent transactions.

The second point kinda ties into the first. Even a person who is quite dilligent about not handing over personal information may be unaware that they are inadvertently handing over personal information when using certain software or online services. A phone's a phone. A game's a game. Why should playing a game on your phone tell the game publisher where you live? It may not do so directly, but they can certainly infer where you live based upon your geolocation data. In many cases they can make a good guess as to who you are based upon cross referencing with other databases (e.g. phone directories). Get the right types of data, and you can actually tell a fair bit about a person.

So no, it's not a matter of common sense.
Sorry but what you just talked about IS common sense and if you can't take the time to learn/figure out what might be a security risk, that is YOUR fault not anyone elses. Where is it written or mandated that you HAVE to purchase or play a game on your cell phone, or use a computer? What did you do before the cell phone/computer existed? Go back to doing that. There are tons of old people who aren't interested in using these new fangled devices and still doing it the old way and getting by just fine. My mom and aunt were two of them.

If you are going to step into the current century and use current technology, then take/make the time to learn about it and the risks/rewards that if offers.

Stop expecting the govt. or other people to do your thinking for you.

Here is another example for you.

I worked with a woman who "didn't have time" to balance her check book. She was supposedly too busy working a second job or going to church to be bothered. Well one time she over drew her account and wanted to blame the bank!

I pointed out to her that God wasn't going to balance her check book and if she could take the time to write out her checks at work at the beginning of the month, then she could take the time to balance her check book as well.

Guess what? She started balancing her check book.

Everyone always looks to point the finger at someone else for their stupidity or laziness or want the govt. to create legislation to fix it for them. A little common sense will fix most of it without blaming someone else or legislation.

Last edited by cfrizz; 07-20-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #97
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There are lots of choices, hire someone who is local based on friends recommendations. Hire a handyman who is more interested in making a living rather then farming out your info. or use Lowe's or Home Depot knowing that they will give out your info & you will start getting mail from other vendors. Or finally, become your own handyman and do it yourself!

There are plenty of options for people to choose from that do NOT require legislation!
Without legislation it isn't a question of having to choose making a living and farming out your info, and becoming your own handyman doesn't grant you the ability to make materials and tools out of thin air.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #98
cfrizz
Wizard

Quote:
Without legislation it isn't a question of having to choose making a living and farming out your info, and becoming your own handyman doesn't grant you the ability to make materials and tools out of thin air.
Which brings us back to being overly paranoid. All flyers, promo materials that are put in my mail box are put in the garbage without my even looking at them once I get home, and the same applies to emails, the delete button is a wonderful thing. And to date, all of my personal info is still secure and I have been using a pc of over 20 years.

Last edited by cfrizz; 07-20-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #99
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Sorry but what you just talked about IS common sense and if you can't take the time to learn/figure out what might be a security risk, that is YOUR fault not anyone elses.
Yeap, I agree with government regulation to protect us from stupidity. The reason is simple enough: we can't be experts in everything.

Put another way: I know a fair bit about how computers work and how the Internet works. (By extension, I know a fair bit about how mobile phones work.) Then again, I'm interested in how computers and the Internet work. Yet, for most people, the Internet is just a bit of magic that they use to get stuff done. A great many people know that you don't post stuff that you don't want other people to see on Facebook, and a great many people know that you don't punch your credit card number into a dodgy site. Yet those very same people may not have a clue that the game on their phone interacts with the GPS on their phone to report location data. They may not know their phone has that capabilities, they may not be aware that games can access those capabilities, or they may not know why a game would want to know their location.

Now I suppose you can be judgemental and call those people lazy and stupid. Personally, I don't. There is far too much to know about this technology for anyone but an enthusiast or a professional to properly understand. Even then, enthusiasts such as myself are only kidding themselves if they claim to fully understand it because there is such a massive volume of knowledge out there and it changes so rapidly. (Example: 10 years ago, video games couldn't tell the developers where you were playing the game down to a meter.) I also understand that for all my knowledge about technology, I am also lacking knowledge in other parts of life. Yet I wouldn't want people who have knowledge that I'm lacking to judge me as ignorant and lazy, so why should I do that to them for stuff that I know and they don't.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #100
cfrizz
Wizard

Cell phones, ereaders, tablets = mini pc's with internet capability. It is your choice to utilize their features or not. All of those features are turned OFF on my gear. Again, I took the time to READ the manuals for all of them, and therefore, know what they can do.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:14 AM   #101
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Cell phones, ereaders, tablets = mini pc's with internet capability. It is your choice to utilize their features or not. All of those features are turned OFF on my gear. Again, I took the time to READ the manuals for all of them, and therefore, know what they can do.
What good are these devices with Internet turned off? The unfortunate trend is that their manufacturers assume that you're constantly connected. Most Android devices require a Google account before you can do anything meaningful with them. Windows 8 makes it incredibly difficult not to create an Online account with Microsoft before you can use it. Apple? Ever tried installing anything without having an iTunes account? No - it's not getting any easier without Internet.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:06 AM   #102
BoldlyDubious
what if...?
BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paper & electrophoretic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Yeap, I agree with government regulation to protect us from stupidity. The reason is simple enough: we can't be experts in everything.
I fully agree.
BoldlyDubious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #103
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Life is choice.
Life is risk.
Every single day choices are made--some good, some bad--and people live with the consequences of those choices. It is called being an adult.
Children need protecting; they are not mature enough to be trusted to make their own decisions and live with the consequences. But adults can and should.

People make ill-informed, stupid choices every day.
Most learn from the experience; others just whine that life isn't fair.
Well, it isn't.

The only way to protect stupid people from stupid choices and the consequences of their own actions is to take choice away from everybody. To be treated like children who can't be trusted to act like grownups.

I like choice.
I like making my own decisions and dealing with the result, good or bad.
I don't like being treated like an idiot child just to protect some lazy/uninformed/immature whiner who wants a life free of risk, free of choice.
I make the effort to act like an adult and so should they.

I don't need a frakking nanny and I don't want to be treated like a child.

Government has more important things to do than trying to protect fools from their foolish choices. If they want to sell their sells, let them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_541549.html

One more time: don't like what an app/plug-in/or company does? Don't use it.
If others do, let them.

Live and let die.

Last edited by fjtorres; 07-21-2013 at 07:19 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #104
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Which brings us back to being overly paranoid. All flyers, promo materials that are put in my mail box are put in the garbage without my even looking at them once I get home, and the same applies to emails, the delete button is a wonderful thing. And to date, all of my personal info is still secure and I have been using a pc of over 20 years.
If you get promo materials from shops you never used in your mail box then your address is known and your personal information is not secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Life is choice.
Life is risk.
Every single day choices are made--some good, some bad--and people live with the consequences of those choices. It is called being an adult.
Children need protecting; they are not mature enough to be trusted to make their own decisions and live with the consequences. But adults can and should.

People make ill-informed, stupid choices every day.
Most learn from the experience; others just whine that life isn't fair.
Well, it isn't.

The only way to protect stupid people from stupid choices and the consequences of their own actions is to take choice away from everybody. To be treated like children who can't be trusted to act like grownups.

I like choice.
I like making my own decisions and dealing with the result, good or bad.
I don't like being treated like an idiot child just to protect some lazy/uninformed/immature whiner who wants a life free of risk, free of choice.
I make the effort to act like an adult and so should they.

I don't need a frakking nanny and I don't want to be treated like a child.

Government has more important things to do than trying to protect fools from their foolish choices. If they want to sell their sells, let them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_541549.html

One more time: don't like what an app/plug-in/or company does? Don't use it.
If others do, let them.

Live and let die.
I agree that choices are good, but you need government regulations in order to maintain choices. Do you think that companies would have warranties on electronics if they didn't have to?
Old 07-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #105
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
If you get promo materials from shops you never used in your mail box then your address is known and your personal information is not secure.
If you get *addressed* promos, anyways. Dunno about the US Postal Service, but Canada Post dumps spam (which they get paid to distribute, of course) in everyone's mailboxes 2-3 times a week (at least they're good about respecting "No Flyers" and "No Unaddressed Mail" signs).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote