Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-29-2023, 10:57 AM   #1
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iPad Mini 5 & Mini 6
AZW3 files imported into Calibre usable in a Kindle?

Since DRM is removed on import into Calibre, is an AZW3 file still useable in a Kindle device or application like K4Mac 1.17?
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 01:51 PM   #2
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
The azw files that result from removal of DRM or conversion by Calibre can be used on any Kindle.

Note that Calibre does not, out of the box, remove DRM. Removal of DRM requires a separate plug in and some set up.
slm is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2023, 02:20 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
More usable as they work on any Kindle or Kindle app. DRM locks a file to one specific instance of an app, or one specific Serial ID of physical Kindle (picked at download or purchase time). You can't copy directly fed by Amazon azw3 files with DRM to anything other than what they landed on. Not all azw3 have DRM.
Also they can be converted to epub2, which has apps for Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS and Android. Apple's iOS Books uses a special version of epub, so not all epubs loaded directly (Sideload) work as expected. Every eink based ereader, other than Kindle, made since about 2008 uses epub.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-29-2023 at 02:24 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 03:12 PM   #4
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iPad Mini 5 & Mini 6
Thanks slm & Quoth. I was curious if Kindle apps/devices checked for DRM on Kindle files before allowing them to be read. Now I just have to figure out how to replace the books with the new DRM that can't be read on my K4M 1.17 application with the ones from Calibre.

I've been using Calibre to convert Kindle books to ePub for years; first to read them in iBooks and then in MapleRead SE when I bailed on iBooks.app. Previously I relied on the DeDRM plugin in Calibre, but now I had to enter the DSN of the Paperwhite I bought 6 years ago (and never used) into the plugin.
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 06:36 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
Thanks slm & Quoth. I was curious if Kindle apps/devices checked for DRM on Kindle files before allowing them to be read.
Yes, they do, always. But don't care if there is no DRM. Amazon does actually sell DRM-free titles.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert