Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #16
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
The book in question is rare and out of print. Almost impossible to find. I've had a standing search going on eBay for a while.
Out of curiosity, what's the book?
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:40 AM   #17
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
That same thought occured to me as well. There is nothing so intriguing as not knowing the Title of a book that someone is talking about I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Out of curiosity, what's the book?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 06:32 AM   #18
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
cyberread.com has a 40% off a purchase offer in return for writing a book review. It's a good offer that I've taken advantage of this a couple of times.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:03 AM   #19
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Graycn,

First, the scenario you described is not at all what I had in mind when I said it wouldn't be worth the effort of scanning a book just for your own use.

Regarding this particular issue, your first step should be to identify the individual who controls the rights. You talk about the "family". The person you should be looking for is the literary executor of the author's estate. If no such person was appointed when the author died, then it is the general executor, or any remaining beneficiaries (the person or people who now control the rights).

You've got to identify the person in question, and then contact them to discuss some kind of arrangement for sharing the book in the way you have in mind. Obviously, no-one can say whether they are likely to agree, or what you should offer them, without knowing more about what the book is worth and what the demand is likely to be.

If you can't locate the appropriate person, you could try contacting the original publishers, if they still exist. It's almost certain they would have a record of the literary executor or beneficiary of the estate.

Good luck with this. It will be interesting to hear how you get on.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #20
beetham
beetham began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
That same thought occured to me as well. There is nothing so intriguing as not knowing the Title of a book that someone is talking about I think.
That and the people resource within this group is pretty powerful... if you can't find it maybe we can - who knows it's worth a try. So by all means, if you please, what is the author and title so we can check for you as well.
beetham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #21
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
I'm sure others will answer the questions as to where else you can get e-books.

My succinct opinon is that Amazon is a great all-around source. One huge advantage being that you don't have to worry about storage when you remove the book from your device. Amazon stores them for you.

Other places have better formatting on the free books, but it is hard to beat the convenience of buying and downloading the book, solely from the device itself.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #22
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
THANK YOU!

Mike, that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for! I'm not entirely sure how to go about finding this out, but Google is generally my friend.

The book is "Sinbad and Me" by Kin Platt. It's a Tempo Book by Grosset & Dunlap of NY. I paid a hard earned 60 cents for it way back when! Considering how many times I read it when I was a kid, I'm amazed it is still intact, though it was helped along by the application of a couple strips of magic tape to the spine many years ago.

I'm honestly not sure just what the demand is. Probably not enough to produce it again in print. What I do know is that it seems like anyone who has read the story remembers it and some people are looking for it because they enjoyed it themselves and want to share it with their children or grandchildren, as the case may be. That's why I'd love to see it get out there again, legitimately. Otherwise it could be lost to the world eventually. It did win a "Best Juvenile Mystery of the Year" award from The Mystery Writers of America.

I am also thinking that the publisher Farrar, Straus and Giroux might know who has the rights, because a "A Mystery For Thoreau" by Kin Platt was published posthumously in 2008.

Maybe the thing to do would be to write them and ask. At any rate, it will probably be some time before I have the text in digital form and there are also some code diagrams to potentially deal with.

Anyway, if anyone has contacts, or knows what I need to know to get in touch with the literary or general executor, feel free to get in touch!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #23
beetham
beetham began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Hey Graycyn

i did some checking for you on "Sinbad and Me" and it's definitely not officially out there as an ebook yet. I came across a posting by you quoting a recent discussion you had had with his son regarding this.

Apparently he is actively trying to get the Sinbad Trilogy published, and is looking at ebooks as an option.

If you aren't aware you can contact him and follow his efforts via Facebook under his dad's name - Kin Platt

Good luck with your quest and keep the faith!
beetham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #24
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Hadn't even thought of Facebook. Well, that might be a better way to contact him privately. Though the whole thing is premature, the book is 54 chapters, 255 pages and I'm not always managing to read (and proof) in a chapter a day. Plus, there are images. Fortunately not complex ones, but I hit six of those last night. I think I'm going to just make notes of what chapters they appear in for now and not try to photograph until the text is done. Not sure how much the old book can take.

Edit: It's entirely possible they'll beat me to it, LOL! However, I want to learn to construct an ebook, so this will still be a fun project.

Last edited by graycyn; 09-04-2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Added a couple words. Plus a new sentence or two.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote