Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2007, 04:19 AM   #16
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Why do they sell it only in the USA and Canada? (not sure about the latter).
Not in Europe, not even in Japan!

Any explanation to it?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:53 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's not sold in Canada - only in the USA.

We believe that it's due to legal book distribution issues with the "Connect" store. Unlike CDs, which are distributed world-wide by a small number of companies, book publication deals are generally country-specific, and there are a lot of different publishers. Eg, many books are published by different publishers in the UK and USA. I'm sure that the Reader - and the Connect Store - will be rolled out internationally just as fast as Sony can reach distribution deals with the major publishers in each country.

It seems likely, for example, that the Reader will be launched in the UK around June of this year, from information that's been released.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2007, 06:41 AM   #18
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Well, MobiPocket and FictionWise and such don't have a problem with selling books overseas, so I guess this can be worked out.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:57 AM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm a bit surprised they haven't hit Canada by now, actually, I kinda thought they would.

Well, I guess it could be 'cause they've been busier than they expected just supplying the U.S.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:35 AM   #20
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I'm a bit surprised they haven't hit Canada by now, actually, I kinda thought they would.

Well, I guess it could be 'cause they've been busier than they expected just supplying the U.S.
Basically we read about the same books. I think the Québécois part is the reason for the stall. It's very different from French litterature.

B3T (back to the thread) I think that maintaining advertising to written media is an error, logical but still an error. I'm sure it is a contributing factor in all the previous e-readers's 'almost there' mitigated success. Even if you consider tv viewers to be basically litterary phobic, there is a huge number of people who used to read, who gave up for various reasons. Give them the opportunity to try the ease of use and the novelty of an ebook reader and they'll be willing to come back to litterature. I did it and took time off from the stupid passtime programming(with extreme derogatory intention) that kept me there, to do something worthwhile, that is not related to work-a-holism.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2007, 09:43 AM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't really think that too many people don't watch TV, even avid readers, so TV spots would seem to be in order.

I think they should get the Reader on HGTV's "I Want That: Tech Toys" show.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:55 AM   #22
JHeavner
JHeavner began at the beginning.

I still think the issue is that the core audience is too small and the technology/device not succinct enough for successful marketing. I learned of the device on a technical blog, as I'm sure did many on this forum. Perhaps the marketers realized that was a better medium for this product at this time than traditional advertising. In short, I don't think the sales revenue would cover the cost of lead generation.

Seriously though, when was the last time you saw a television commercial for an early-generation, high-tech device targeted to a niche market?
JHeavner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:10 AM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHeavner
Seriously though, when was the last time you saw a television commercial for an early-generation, high-tech device targeted to a niche market?
Good point. Come to think of it it's only in the last couple of years that I've seen TV ads for Palms, and those are mostly Cellular Phone service ads for Trēos.

I remember the first ad I ever saw for a Palm (then PalmPilot Professional -- if I recall correctly), it was a sign-board in the San Jose International Airport, and I'd had my Pilot 5000 for about eighteen months, by that time.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:29 PM   #24
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
I think there is not enough publicity as well.
At CompUSA, I had to ask for the reader for them to point out the booth. In OfficeMax, they don't carry it and their staffs looked at me as though I'm a supernerd trying to ask them for vaporware. I don't know about the other retail stores, but the Sony Reader was placed plainly amongst the other Sony devices without a large cardboard ad.

They should really have bigger cardboard ads to let buyers know of such existence. Geeks probably form only 10% ~ 20% of the general populace. They need the normal users to buy-in to form critical mass!

How about
* an oversized reader in the outdoors to illustrate the clarity of the screen?
* a reader that shows the number of pages flipped on a single charge. Autoflips every 10 secs.
* Do what Toyota did for Lexus. Loan out Sony Readers to ppl in Libraries. Offer them a deal to buy a Sony Reader when they return the reader.
* Loan out Sony Readers in flights as part of In-flight entertainments.
* Repeat Library exercise in schools, colleges and universities.
* Textbook replacement program in schools etc.

ok, just a wild thought. Maybe production yield of eink screens is too low, so ....
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:41 PM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist

At the book festival in Austin last October, they had a Reader cut out sized for a plasma monitor -- it looked like a 38" Reader with a plasma screen, running a continuous Reader demo video. That was pretty cool. I was joking that it was Version Next.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:44 PM   #26
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
I've only seen ads in Borders (a book seller), as that seems to be their primary outlet.

That said, I've just returned from a long business trip in Europe. In every airport lounge, train car, or restaurant I read in people approached me to talk about the device. The price did not blanch as many as I had expected. Is this the Sony Marketing plan? Frankly, I hope not. While the device is fantastic, the Connect store is not. I told folks that. I mentioned the other sources, and explained its great possibilities.

I don't think I sold any. I think most folks are waiting for the Apple eBook. The eInk technology got rave reviews. Everybody liked it and several said they would give up color in their laptop to get it. However, as eCommerce goes, most folks want a brand with proven skills, either ebay.com, amazon.com, or itunes.com .

Why didn't Sony give us all business card coupons to hand out, good for a free book if someone types in the code when they buy a reader? I guess they just don't want to get into this sort of word-of-mouth. It's sort of odd, that's how I saw my first walkman and discman.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:28 AM   #27
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
At the book festival in Austin last October, they had a Reader cut out sized for a plasma monitor -- it looked like a 38" Reader with a plasma screen, running a continuous Reader demo video. That was pretty cool. I was joking that it was Version Next.
Oh, man, I want me one of them!!!
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #28
stxopher
Nameless Being

Oh sure, a 38" plasma Ereader looks good on paper but it would suffer from 2 flaws.

1) It might not fit in your bookbag or briefcase and

2) there might be some decrease in periods between recharging.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #29
NatCh
Gizmologist

Not to mention that it weighs just a bit more than the last Harry Potter book.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:42 PM   #30
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Not to mention that it weighs just a bit more than the last Harry Potter book.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote