Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-11-2009, 11:11 PM   #1
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Took the plunge, Got a Kindle 1 on ebay!

Ok, so its not the deal of the century but I don't feel like its horrible price. I caved a little and went up from my original max of $230, but I paid $243(with free shipping) for this: "a used Amazon Kindle wireless Reader in like-new condition which has been deactivated to factory settings. Comes with original packaging and accessories including the original box, USB cable, charger, instruction manual, and leather case. Valuable extras include, a second AC charger, a 1GB SD memory card, and an iGo charger tip."

I liked the new K2 form factor, but I feel like having an SD card slot and removable battery are more important in the long run, especially since I can drop mp3s on the SD card and not waste space that the device has for books and I could care less about the text to speech really. And SD cards are just cheap as hell these days. And the contrast issues some people were having with the K2 scared me even though Amazon is addressing them.

I have a Sony PRS 505 that I'm selling to a co-worker. It's a great device, and I'll probably miss it when its gone. It's served me well, but she wanted an ebook reader and can't afford to pay full price, and I wanted to switch to Kindle, so I feel I'm doing her a favor as well. And I have about 500 LRFs that I'm hoping will translate fairly well over to mobi format... We'll see. I can't wait to load up my RSS feeds on it, and test the wireless updates out. Hopefully I won't regret my decision.

I feel pretty good having saved $116 over my initial decision to spring for a K2.
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:40 PM   #2
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
I too just picked up a used Kindle 1. It was easy to find in Seattle due to so many people upgrading to the new model. I'm finding the licensing and legal issues to be vexing, but I do really like the device. This evening I was showing the Kindle to my son. We downloaded Treasure Island and were reading it together in a few moments. I have to admit, it's pretty amazing.

I'm curious as to why you'd change from the Sony 505 to the Kindle. My goal was to buy the 505 but I couldn't find a used Sony anywhere for a decent price. Craigslist was flooded with K1's so that's what I got.

Greg
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
enjoy the Kindle palex481
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:49 PM   #4
palex481
Connoisseur

The reason for the switch from Sony to Kindle is because of the wireless feature. I love reading RSS feeds on my Sony, my friends blogs, etc. But I hate that I can't update unless attached to a computer. With the Kindle, I just click Update Feed and it will have the latest feed on there. I can do this on my iphone, but the iphone really sucks for reading long articles(IMHO), I just have gotten to the point where I just find the screen too small for anything lengthy.

Also, I love the WSJ and I want to get that on the Kindle. I had a print subscription, but reading a paper on print is just cumbersome and I usually just end up with piles of paper to throw away.

Also, I have an iPhone and the whole Kindle to iPhone syncing, even though it doesn't work with non-amazon books as I've had countless discussions about, really does seem pretty cool.

In a way, I've sold out to the man, Bezos... but no other reader can offer the same level of connectivity. Period.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:57 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Thats a fair price, and I think you'll enjoy it........download the PDF Kindle1 Users guide now so you'll be a pro when it gets here!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200317150
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 12:37 AM   #6
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Ebay is a good place to buy a used one especially. Enjoy.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:14 AM   #7
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Word to the wise. Never go beyond your intended price on Ebay. There will always be another Kindle, whatever, to buy. This is learned by hard experience and also from placing numerous items for sale on Ebay. Enjoy your Kindle.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Nice pickup, i'm sure you'll enjoy it!
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Congrats! And you got it with all the extras at a great price. I too switch from a Sony 505 to K2 and now that the whispernet is working, I am really enjoying it. May I suggest that your download Calibre to your computer and use it for coverting your non-drm Sony books to mobi format. Super simple. I also used it to convert my epub files to mobi too.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
After reading what Amazon has just done in the name of the DMCA, please go back to your Sony.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #11
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Congrats, you'll love it. I grabbed a used one off Craigslist in the DC area for $200 last week and have loved it so far.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #12
palex481
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
After reading what Amazon has just done in the name of the DMCA, please go back to your Sony.
I saw that, but its too late! I just sold my Sony today for $200... My ebay seller is out of town today and isn't even shipping my Kindle till tomorrow, so I'll have to be readerless for several days.

I'll chime back in when I get it. I think it will be alright. 98% of my books I read aren't DRM books anyhow, so regardless of what Amazon does with the DRM doesn't affect me so much.

As long as I'm not too annoyed with the accidental page flipping on the Kindle 1, I think I'll survive.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #13
GhostWolf
GhostWolf began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
I picked up a used Kindle myself, I got it from Amazon and am very happy with it. Deciding factor was the ability to use SD cards to bump storage.

Have fun with your Kindle.
GhostWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by palex481 View Post
As long as I'm not too annoyed with the accidental page flipping on the Kindle 1, I think I'll survive.
That's the only thing that bothers me with mine, and for the most part you adapt and quit doing it so much.

Though I am a bit worried about the battery in mine--seems to get to 1/2 charge after 3-4 days of reading 2 hours max a day with the whispernet turned off.

But maybe that's normal and the 7500 page turns on a charge stuff is a bit of an exageration. *shrugs*

In any case, it lasts more than long enough for a cross country flight which is the longest I'd ever use it without being able to charge so it's good enough. And I can wait to pick up a new battery until it gets much worse.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:39 PM   #15
palex481
Connoisseur

I need to remind myself not to ever ship with USPS again.... their tracking is a joke. It's non-existent. Just says electronic notice of shipment received since Friday. It's supposed to get here in 6 days, which means Thursday, but I've already sold my Sony and I'm going through e-reader withdrawals. It's killing me...