Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-13-2016, 08:46 PM   #16
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Settings -> Device Options -> System Updates -> Check Now

(I did it just now and got another system component update.)
Thanks. I've done that a lot but I don't think it has ever been a 'system component update', only a new Fire OS version.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #17
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Now I see on Amazon's Source Code Notice page that Fire OS 5.3.2.1 is coming. I wonder how long that will take to arrive.
Available now.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After letting it stew in its own juices for several weeks, I checked for updates today and there were something like 18 'system component' updates ready to to install on my HD6:

- Kindle app now supports Page Flip
- Music app now supports Amazon Music
- Audible app now supports Channels
- Firefly app has returned after a long absence

With any luck, Collections and Sync work again too but I have not checked those yet. Looks like it is now 'back to spec' and should work the way it is supposed to.

Better late than never, and will be happy to work my HD6 back into my device rotation after several months of banishment.

BTW I had to push the Update button once to 'apply' each component update (though there was no indication of which component would be updated). And component updates continue to trickle in.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-23-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:41 PM   #19
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Mine got the update, too! I didn't have to do all those separate component updates, though.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:47 AM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
After letting it stew in its own juices for several weeks, I checked for updates today and there were something like 18 'system component' updates ready to to install on my HD6:

- Kindle app now supports Page Flip
- Music app now supports Amazon Music
- Audible app now supports Channels
- Firefly app has returned after a long absence

With any luck, Collections and Sync work again too but I have not checked those yet. Looks like it is now 'back to spec' and should work the way it is supposed to.

Better late than never, and will be happy to work my HD6 back into my device rotation after several months of banishment.

BTW I had to push the Update button once to 'apply' each component update (though there was no indication of which component would be updated). And component updates continue to trickle in.
I'm glad you finally got the component updates. I know my living room Echo Dot always takes weeks to update whereas my study / home office Echo updates pretty soon after a new update is released. There seems to be randomness on where Amazon locates any of your devices on their list of which ones to get updated first or last or somewhere in between.

I can't remember how my Fire HD 6 updates components. It might be one at a time, a few at a time, or all at once. Just can't remember. However, when I bought my HD 6 it came with a much outdated Fire OS. My HD 6 is a refurb, so no one had updated the OS in a very long time. For many OSes, even tablet OSes like iOS, if you are several updates behind you only have to do a single update to jump past all the middle (and now out dated) updates to the latest update. It is rather fast and painless. But for some strange reason my HD 6 insisted on installing every darn incremental update that had been released in sequential order, and that took hours to accomplish. Very annoying.

Last edited by jswinden; 01-24-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Advert
Old 01-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I had applied the latest Fire OS update manually, but it took until now for the component updates to show up. Amazon CS was not able to help, but perhaps my feedback (and that of others) eventually got investigated and something got fixed on the update servers so that my device would update.

Unfortunately Collections are still not syncing properly. I basically have to pretend that feature does not exist, and use another device (or Manage Your Kindle and devices) to manage them. And Immersion Reading still likes to bring up annoying dialogs about 'your most recent location is x on device y, do you want to go there?' when switching from text to audio controls, even though it is the same device: left hand does not know what right hand is doing.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-24-2017 at 01:09 PM.