Notices

Old 12-04-2007, 10:52 PM   #91
gregr209
Enthusiast
gregr209 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505 / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rflashman View Post
Connect Store still doesn't work on my Windows Vista 64. Sony as far as I know has no plans to support me.
Doesn't work with a Mac (unless you use bootcamp or some other VM software).

I took my Sony Reader 505 back...hated to do it cause it looks so much better then the Kindle but the Kindle has to many "other" features that I felt I couldn't live without.

My 2 cents.

Greg
gregr209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:48 AM   #92
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
ReplayTV rocked. As for the cable company DVRs, I've never seen one that was nearly as fast and easy to use as either my Replay or my Snapstream or my MythTV DVRs. I've certainly never seen one that had automatic commercial skipping or could act as server to other clients. Maybe Jon's does. I certainly haven't seen all of them.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2007, 03:02 AM   #93
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
Get the Kindle or regret it! It's a no-brainer really.
Can you tell me how I can get one, please? Strangely, Amazon don't seem to want to sell me one!

Or are you suggesting that only the 5% of the planetary population who live in the US should make this decision which does not require a brain?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:53 AM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rflashman View Post
Connect Store still doesn't work on my Windows Vista 64. Sony as far as I know has no plans to support me.
It is not just Sony. It is a lot of companies won't support 64-bit Windows. Blame Microsoft on that. The hoops you have to jump through to get to be able to run your driver(s) on 64-bit Windows is a real issue. That said, it is your fault for choosing it. It's not ready for prime-time and you should have known that and stuck with 32-bit Windows where everything works (or should work).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:56 AM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying the Kindle is bad, but as a first reading device, people are getting dumbed down.

It's akin to Windows dumbing people down. Have you read the messages here of people getting lost trying to use libprs500 via the command line? The Kindle is going to be the same way. it'll dumb people down so if they ever need to use the Kindle via the USB port, they'll be lost.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2007, 09:57 AM   #96
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
It hasn't been much remarked on, but the Kindle gives you lots of choices for formatting -- one. On the Sony 505, using Book Designer you can manipulate the font, the margins, the size, etc. etc. This means you can customize a book for however you want to read it (and read Greek, Russian, etc.). Nor will Kindle allow you to change the spaces between lines -- you're stuck with a huge space whether you want it or not. On the Sony, you can make it whatever you want. As a result, the Kindle has about 2/3 per page as is comfortable on the Sony, and you have to advance the page much more often.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:04 AM   #97
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Dumbing down is good for the market. Way back when my ISP was Compuserve, the geek's choice. Remember how AOL came along, dumbed the whole experience down, and grew the market?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #98
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdospec View Post
And the blue one looks really bad to me, Silver is the way to go, I had the Black 500 ....
Just noting a detail, the PRS500 didn't come in black. It only came in the same dark blue that is one of the two options (silver and blue) for the PRS505.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Or are you suggesting that only the 5% of the planetary population who live in the US should make this decision which does not require a brain?
Hey, now! Somehow I think maybe I'm being insulted in there somewhere.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:03 PM   #99
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

PRS500 is black, not dark blue, isn't it?

I noticed a big difference in color. So much so that I was worried my wifey would detect that it was not the same when I did a "silent" upgrade.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:08 PM   #100
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
PRS500 is black, not dark blue, isn't it?
Nope, the 500 is a dark blue, I've got it right here, and my brand of mild color-blindness affects reds not blues.

Perhaps I'm mistaken that the 505's blue is the same as the 500's, however -- the review unit they lent me was a silver one, and I still haven't seen a blue one "in the flesh," so to speak.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #101
Astropin
Connoisseur
Astropin is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, N800
Quote:
I strongly suggest for anyone considering an ereader to buy the Kindle. I own both the Sony PRS-505 and the Kindle and really there is no comparison. The Amazon "service" makes the Kindle superior to the Sony Reader in many ways, hands down.

I'm afraid the Sony product will now die a slow death like their MP3 players. Now that the profit margins are gone with the Connect store, I expect it will be shuttered in less than a year and Sony will move onto the next great "high-margin" gadget (that is the Sony way).

Get the Kindle or regret it! It's a no-brainer really.
Guess I'll regret it then......not. We have no clue what Sony's profit margins are. Not to mention the deal in the works with Borders and possibly with Adobe. I don't need all the functions of the Kindle. I have a Windows computer and Connect works just great for me....not to mention all of the other sources of ebooks out there that I can tap into with the Sony. I only need an ebook reader and in that I think the 505 is superior in many ways to the Kindle with the only major downfall being no searchable dictionary....I can live with that.
Astropin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:29 PM   #102
gregr209
Enthusiast
gregr209 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505 / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying the Kindle is bad, but as a first reading device, people are getting dumbed down.

It's akin to Windows dumbing people down. Have you read the messages here of people getting lost trying to use libprs500 via the command line? The Kindle is going to be the same way. it'll dumb people down so if they ever need to use the Kindle via the USB port, they'll be lost.
It needs to be dumbed down for the computer challenged older folks :-)

Greg
gregr209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:37 PM   #103
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:

And ever since we got these new fangled furnaces, people have been getting weaker. We need to go back to chopping our own wood.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:43 PM   #104
csmith75
csmith75 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
What does a TiVo do that my cable DVR cannot do? I managed to get a cable DVR free when I had my cable box upgraded due to that one being the only working upgraded box the cable guy had. I've used the DVR to time-shift things. It's really easy to use. Has two tuners so I can record one thing and watch another. And it records in HD as well.
I have both and my TiVo runs circles around my HD DVR from my cable company. The UI, the reliability, the recommendations, the ability to easily get content off the TiVo and onto my computer and iPod, etc..

They may do similar things, but one does it a WHOLE lot better. That's why I'm putting a TiVo HD on my Xmas list.
csmith75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:44 PM   #105
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's all about attitude. Amazon's attitude is very Big Brother-ish. They feel that they know how books should be read, and that you'd be better off doing it their way.

SONY's attitude isn't much better, but because SONY released an e-ink device (The librie) way before anyone else, tools have matured around the SONY that empower you to do what you want with it. So the 505 is a tool for power users, the kindle isn't (at least, not yet).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote