Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Waitlists for Library Books Have TRIPLED Since Xmas!

I have 4 books on hold at our online library and I went back today (after putting a few on hold just before Xmas) and the waitlists for the books I selected have tripled! Looks like I'll be waiting a while for some popular books from now on! Or, I'll just have to buy them!!!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Haha, nice! My wife (who loves to borrow from the online library) understands what you are going through. She had to wait about a month and a half for a book that she wanted to read (author's name withheld but it was a "popular" one) and by the time she was allowed to borrow it she no longer wanted to read it.

Yikes!
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
Yeah, I've noticed that it's getting more difficult to get e-books from the library. They really don't have enough copies, considering how the demand is growing...
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
In the meantime, you all may be missing out on some great reads available here, in the Patricia C. Clark Memorial Library.

Public Domain, by authors who have withstood the test of time, and knew how to write.

Over 15,000 available, no waits, free downloads.

Formatted by our own members, proofed for errors and extraneous pages.

Click on my link below for help getting started.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
Mysterio
Mysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo
Why can't libraries make multiple copies of an e-book file available for check out?
Mysterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
Why can't libraries make multiple copies of an e-book file available for check out?
Because they have to pay for each copy?

And since the copies are drm'd, that would be illegal?

Thats my best guess.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
They have to pay by the copy, just as they'd have to pay for each hardcover.

I haven't noticed hold time issues, but I tend to read more obscure nonfiction.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
Most books do have multiple copies available - at our library, anyway. However, the publishers (I believe) limit the amount of copies available through libraries because they do want people to also buy ebooks.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:02 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think it would have to do with the contract that the library signs with the actual provider. For many libraries, it would appear that they use OverDrive. I expect that they contract with OverDrive for the number of copies of eBooks to be made available, and also for the addition of new material.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #10
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Because they have to pay for each copy?
Exactly.

One of the bitter ironies of a tough economy is demand for public library resources goes way up yet funding goes down.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
Most books do have multiple copies available - at our library, anyway.
Unfortunately, in British Columbia, all the e-books are provided by one online library. There are multiple copies of many books, but maybe only 3 or 4... for the whole province! Whereas, with a regular hardcover or paperback, there might be 3 or 4 copies in each library branch.

Maybe they think that e-readers are still not that popular. I hope they figure out that that assumption is wrong... and soon!
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #12
KoboNo
Connoisseur
KoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of light

Organizations pushing eBooks and selling them have not matured yet. How silly is it that an electronic book cannot be made available to any number of customers that want it? As a public resource, a library's customers are its members and thus these books should be available to all.

The advantage of an eBook is that is is electronic, hence the 'e'. For whatever reason many groups are still treating them as physical books with a limited number of copies. I understand they want to keep the control with licences but when you have a child that would like to sign out an electronic book that can easily be signed out, but for the reason of licencing crap it cannot, it absolutely is disgusting.

In those regards eBooks are no more advantageous when compared to physical books. And with stories such as these, people wonder why kids use file-sharing applications to get what they need. One reason is because they cannot sign out a book that should and actually is available to them but licences prevent them from doing so. Yuck!
KoboNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboNo View Post
Organizations pushing eBooks and selling them have not matured yet. How silly is it that an electronic book cannot be made available to any number of customers that want it? As a public resource, a library's customers are its members and thus these books should be available to all.
You do realize that most books in the library (well, US libraries at least) are purchased, right? They can no more afford to have 500 paper copies of Girl With The Dragon Tattoo than electronic versions. I'm sure if you were an author, your position would be a bit different.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #14
KoboNo
Connoisseur
KoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
You do realize that most books in the library (well, US libraries at least) are purchased, right? They can no more afford to have 500 paper copies of Girl With The Dragon Tattoo than electronic versions. I'm sure if you were an author, your position would be a bit different.
I do understand this, yes. However, the advantage of an electronic book versus a physical book is not seen in the example I provided. Clear up one thing for me then, please. Does a company, say Kobo, have an endless 'supply' of electronic books to sell or are they limited as well to sell, let us say 500 copies?
KoboNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I've never heard of any retailer (including Overdrive) being restricted in the number of eBooks they can sell to customers.

They are quite often however restricted from discounting the price, even for large orders.

Overdrive (the main distributor that sells eBooks to libraries) pretty much charges the price of a full book, often higher than Amazon or Kobo etc, for each and every eBook license. They then are responsible for the computing power behind the check-out and DRM process for the libraries.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote