Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #76
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrm View Post
Hello. I have a question about using custom icons. How do I delete an icon from the drop-down on the Add rule screen? Even if I delete the icon from the resources\images folder in Calibre Settings or if I add a revised icon with the same name, Calibre doesn't seem to pick up the change.

Thanks.
DJRM
When you add an icon to the list it is copied to the folder "cc_icons" in the calibre settings folder. Delete it from there.

Be careful updating icons in that folder. Calibre resizes the image when it copies it. All icons in that folder must be 128 bits in their longest dimension.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #77
djrm
Enthusiast
djrm began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini 4, iPhone 6s
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
When you add an icon to the list it is copied to the folder "cc_icons" in the calibre settings folder. Delete it from there.

Be careful updating icons in that folder. Calibre resizes the image when it copies it. All icons in that folder must be 128 bits in their longest dimension.
Thank you very much! That worked perfectly.
djrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #78
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have the following saved search to identify 'books' that I don't have in some form or another.

Code:
formats:"false" and not comments:"Book is Here"
The "Book is Here" in Comments is a label I use on URI links to something external to the library

In addition to (or maybe instead of) the saved search I would like to have a column in the spreadsheet that would show something like , otherwise nothing would show

I've tried a couple of things but I failed to get a result - maybe someone can teach an old dog a new trick

TIA - BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #79
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I have the following saved search to identify 'books' that I don't have in some form or another.

Code:
The "Book is Here" in Comments is a label I use on URI links to something external to the library

In addition to (or maybe instead of) the saved search I would like to have a column in the spreadsheet that would show something like , otherwise nothing would show

I've tried a couple of things but I failed to get a result - maybe someone can teach an old dog a new trick

TIA - BR
don't quote false that is a Boolean not a string

formats:false
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:03 AM   #80
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
don't quote false that is a Boolean not a string

formats:false
It works just the same with or without the quotes, and neither form will get me a sad face in a column - only a substantive answer will get me that

br
Advert
Old 09-16-2013, 02:40 AM   #81
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Code:

TIA - BR
This advanced rule adds a sad face to the title if the conditions you describe above are true.
Code:
program:
	test(
		and(
			not(approximate_formats()), 
			contains(field('comments'), "Book is Here", '','y')), 
		'emotes-face-sad-icon.png', 
		'')
Here is a screen capture of the result. The first "Inconnu(e)" has the comment
Quote:
foo
Book is Here
bar
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	193
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	111095

Here is a screen capture of the advanced rule editor.

Name:	Clipboard04.png
Views:	186
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	111096

And for completeness, here is a link to the sad face icon I used.
http://www.iconarchive.com/show/oxyg...-sad-icon.html
Old 09-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #82
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@chaley absolutely fabulous mate.

I should print the template language bit of the manual and sit the garden and read it - if it stops raining.

Am I right in assuming that one cannot attach multiple icons to a single column - be good if one could.

Whilst doing this and a couple of related changes, I inadvertently ticked a long text column in the Preferences->Custom Columns dialogue. I was under the impression that such columns cannot be shown in the spreadsheet so I was shocked to see the column name sitting in the column titles.

Obviously you cant see much of the content, but if you hover on it then its content shows as a 'tool tip', and if you double click or F2 on it you can edit it in a free standing comment editor.

Now I can edit everything, except Comments, from the spreadsheet

Which begs the question, if custom comment columns can appear in the spreadsheet and be edited from within it, then why not the built in Comments column - why should it be an exception.

Thanks again.

BR
Old 09-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #83
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Am I right in assuming that one cannot attach multiple icons to a single column - be good if one could.
Nope. The icon stuff uses the standard Qt table widgets that permit one icon per cell. Changing this would be lots of work, and might run quite slowly.

One possibility: create a column per icon using one of the types that does not appear in the tag browser, e.g., int. This sort of column has almost zero impact on calibre's performance. You would leave the value empty (or perhaps not) and set the width to be just enough to contain the icon. Everything would line up nicely, and the pattern of icons might convey as much information as the icons themselves.
Quote:
Whilst doing this and a couple of related changes, I inadvertently ticked a long text column in the Preferences->Custom Columns dialogue. I was under the impression that such columns cannot be shown in the spreadsheet so I was shocked to see the column name sitting in the column titles.
Captain Renault: I am shocked, shocked to find long text going in here!
Quote:
Obviously you cant see much of the content, but if you hover on it then its content shows as a 'tool tip', and if you double click or F2 on it you can edit it in a free standing comment editor.

Now I can edit everything, except Comments, from the spreadsheet

Which begs the question, if custom comment columns can appear in the spreadsheet and be edited from within it, then why not the built in Comments column - why should it be an exception.
When the long text custom column type was added, it was substantially more work to prevent them from being displayed on the spreadsheet than it was to let them show and have F2 work correctly, and I can be very lazy at times. As regards the standard column, it would be a fair amount of work to add them to the spreadsheet, and no one has cared enough to do it.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #84
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
One possibility: create a column per icon using one of the types that does not appear in the tag browser, e.g., int. This sort of column has almost zero impact on calibre's performance. You would leave the value empty (or perhaps not) and set the width to be just enough to contain the icon. Everything would line up nicely, and the pattern of icons might convey as much information as the icons themselves.
Telepathy again, I just came back to tell you I had done exactly that. I gave the int columns meaningful Lookup names and one letter Column headings so no need to change the width. And you're correct in saying that the pattern is as important as the individual icons, in my case some patterns would reveal violation of mutually exclusive conditions.

Quote:
As regards the standard column, it would be a fair amount of work to add them to the spreadsheet, and no one has cared enough to do it.
Seems a shame, but I can see a way to get what I want. I'll add a Better Red Comments column, move what's in Comments into it, and include it in Book Details - then if I see something wrong (in Book Details) I can edit it in the spreadsheet just like everything else.

Thanks again for your help, once again I stumbled on something else when you answered one of of my questions - that's happened on at least two previous occasions. "Here's looking at you, kid"

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-16-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #85
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
This discussion between you (BetterRed and Chaley) seems interesting, but I'm not sure I understand the written explanation of the results. Is it possible to get a small screenshot of the resulting icon columns from either of you? Doesn't have to be real data, a mock-up of the results will do.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #86
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
This discussion between you (BetterRed and Chaley) seems interesting, but I'm not sure I understand the written explanation of the results. Is it possible to get a small screenshot of the resulting icon columns from either of you? Doesn't have to be real data, a mock-up of the results will do.
I don't have an example so it is up to BetterRed, should he wish to do so.

Note that the new multiple icons support in today's calibre release might obviate this technique, although perhaps not. The multiple icons stuff doesn't have the spatial aspect that the multiple narrow columns approach has.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #87
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
I'm using this in my 'experimental' use of Calibre as a replacement for my Image and Video Asset Manager.

The attachments show icons as a group and column icon rules.

The first two columns relate to Custom Columns that are Comments-like. I like this because I don't have use the Edit Metadata dialogue - I just F2 the relevant cell and a free standing Edit Comments box pops up - see third attachment

@chaley - it would be good it the dialogue shown in attachment 3 displayed the Custom Column Name in the title bar - eg "Edit Content Metadata"

BR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	111682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	111683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	111684  
Old 09-21-2013, 03:18 AM   #88
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@chaley - it would be good it the dialogue shown in attachment 3 displayed the Custom Column Name in the title bar - eg "Edit Content Metadata"
Done.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:55 AM   #89
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

be-ewe-dee-full - thanks

Not sure that I could replace my adjacent narrow columns with the new multiple icon feature, I like the ability to F2 an icon and edit whatever's behind it. Maybe I can find some obscure use or other for them.

br

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-21-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #90
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
BetterRed,
Thanks for the info and images. I will have to give the idea time to simmer and see what arises from the depths.

Thanks also for suggesting that the stand-alone Edit Comment dialog should appear with a column/field name associated with it. Otherwise I would definitely end up entering the wrong data into the field.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote