Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
dillsandwitch
Enthusiast
dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Aura H20
sony prs-t1 solar charger help

I go camping a lot and running outta battery and not being able to charge it is a pain so I am in the market for a solar charger for my reader.

Now after a bit of looking around i think i have found the one that will work but i just wanted to get a few second opinions here before i go spending the $$$$.

The one i have found uses a solar panel to charge a battery pack and then you use the battery pack to charge your device Eg the reader or phone.

Here are the specs for the battery pack:
- Capacity: 2200mAh
- USB Output: DC 5V 1A

Its actually a solar charger for a HTC sensation phone which is what i have and i consequently use the htc wall charger to charge my reader here at home.

Basically will this work to charge it is what i am asking.

thanks in advance

Last edited by dillsandwitch; 05-22-2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: spelling
dillsandwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
If the data lines are shorted together, the Sony will accept the charge. If not, an adapter can be made with parts from Sparkfun.com. The short on the data lines is the new USB charging standard. Apple did it differently, and is incompatible. Many of my older USB chargers have open data lines and won't charge the Sony. The adapter parts are cheap and easy to wire up.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
There are no data lines in a charge cable, I don't know why people keep claiming that it should be pretty obvious that most micro USB chargers for phones work with no issues.
My guess it will work fine as I can charge from my swiss charger battery the same way I imagine any universal type charger with the correct micro usb attachments will work.

I can also charge fine from apple chargers by using a charging cable with no data lines it's only when you use Sony's cable you have any problems.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Looks like Power Monkey, oo-oo-oo.

I have used the excellent little Power Monkey portable charger for a few years for travel for phones etc... (holds it's charge for yonks) - I tried it today and it put a charge into my 350 - I'll try again tonight, but all are pretty well charged up.
Will report, but it looks OK.
If I'm right, Power Monkey's the answer.

Surprised I haven't tried it before.... grey cells are going....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
dillsandwitch
Enthusiast
dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.

So I'm guessing out of all that technical speak about splicing and whatnot that the battery pack will have enough power to charge it?
Advert
Old 05-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #6
nesler
Zealot
nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to list
More than enough. Most ereaders have smaller batteries than smartphones do.
nesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:22 AM   #7
dillsandwitch
Enthusiast

thanks. I just didn't want to waste any money on something if it didn't work
Old 05-26-2012, 05:14 AM   #8
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
There are no data lines in a charge cable, I don't know why people keep claiming that it should be pretty obvious that most micro USB chargers for phones work with no issues.
My guess it will work fine as I can charge from my swiss charger battery the same way I imagine any universal type charger with the correct micro usb attachments will work.

I can also charge fine from apple chargers by using a charging cable with no data lines it's only when you use Sony's cable you have any problems.
I've had lots of troubles last year when I was on hollidays and tried to use 2 solar-chargers, a crank-charger and a battery-pack-charger for my PRS 350. I used the original Sony-USB-cable and mentioned chargers. No chance.

That was nearly a desaster because I have been on an very small uninhabitated island in the middle of nowhere. Of course without electricity. After less then one week the reader run out of power and no charger was working. Swinging in a hammock between palmtrees reading an ebook was a central part of the plan.

Reason as I found out in the end back home have been the not short connected data-lines. So no - not every charger with micro-USB-connector will work out of the box. Wall-chargers in my experience have a great chance to work.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
As others have said, one problem is the Sony cable... it is designed for data transfer and charging i.e. for use with a computer... using the Solar PSU cables (without data lines as only for charging) worked perfectly just as swapping cable for Sony failed...

Analogus, try a cable that came with those PSUs... mine have swappable tips so are usable with various sizes of USB including x50s... only use Sony cable with computer or PSU where you have confirmed no data lines on PSU itself...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
I've had lots of troubles last year when I was on hollidays and tried to use 2 solar-chargers, a crank-charger and a battery-pack-charger for my PRS 350. I used the original Sony-USB-cable and mentioned chargers. No chance.

That was nearly a desaster because I have been on an very small uninhabitated island in the middle of nowhere. Of course without electricity. After less then one week the reader run out of power and no charger was working. Swinging in a hammock between palmtrees reading an ebook was a central part of the plan.

Reason as I found out in the end back home have been the not short connected data-lines. So no - not every charger with micro-USB-connector will work out of the box. Wall-chargers in my experience have a great chance to work.
I don't know how else to put it but if you want to be able to charge from any USB outlet you need a charging only cable.

I use the above to charge my iPod, my Samsung S Advance, and my T1 and I've used the same cable in my apple plug to charge the T1 trying that with the Sony cable just doesn't work. So it seems to me that the data lines are the problem but the lack of them the fix-all solution.

I've also never got a wall charger to work with my T1 using the Sony cable I've tried a few with no success, yet they all do work with the little retractable charging cable using that I can charge from my Computer, from Cig Sockets in cars, the battery pack and every USB plug I have including one Apple one.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:22 AM   #11
dillsandwitch
Enthusiast

Got the Solar Charger today. Works fine, even with the Sony cable. Now i don't have to worry about ever running outta charge again. Best $50 I ever spent.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillsandwitch View Post
Got the Solar Charger today. Works fine, even with the Sony cable. Now i don't have to worry about ever running outta charge again. Best $50 I ever spent.
Which solar charger did you get?
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:29 AM   #13
dillsandwitch
Enthusiast

Just got one off of ebay. Sydney seller. Got it down to $45 through make offer

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=200765221787
Old 05-31-2012, 04:51 AM   #14
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I've successfully charged my 350 and T1 with a Power Monkey, as I said I'd try - they are terrific bits of kit, with a huge array of fittings.
Once charged on mains elecs, the y certainly hold it for 8 months - doesn't do away with the need to charge it somewhen , but 'till a reasonably priced solar version comes out - which I believe they are working on - it'll do fine.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:40 PM   #15
dillsandwitch
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I've successfully charged my 350 and T1 with a Power Monkey, as I said I'd try - they are terrific bits of kit, with a huge array of fittings.
Once charged on mains elecs, the y certainly hold it for 8 months - doesn't do away with the need to charge it somewhen , but 'till a reasonably priced solar version comes out - which I believe they are working on - it'll do fine.

cool. What i bought suits my needs just fine. will charge both my PRS-T1 and both my phone and my partners phone which is what i primarily wanted it for seeing most of the time when we do go camping its for 2-3 weeks at a time.
Happy days