Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
Marok
Marok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kindle G3
What am I doing wrong (Re: moving the library to another computer).

I am trying to copy a working Calibre library onto another computer (which already has a smaller, working, Calibre library).
I burnt ALL folders and files (including metadata.db and metadata.opf) from the library to discs (2 dvds).
I created a new folder (same name as from the 1st computer, and different to the receiving one) on the 2nd computer and copied ALL folders and files from the dvds into it.
I used the Switch/Create library button to bring up the 'Choose your Calibre library' window.
In the 'New Location' box, I browsed to the new folder and selected it.
Calibre gives me an Unhandled exception error (full error message below), and the library wont open.
I tried all 3 radio button options in this window with the same result.

I even tried re-burning the library again, and re-copying across, but I got the same error message.
Someone on here suggested that I ensure that the files are not 'Read only', after the copy from dvd, which I have done.

The library is still working perfectly on the original machine.
If someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'd be eternally grateful.

-------------------------------------------------------

***Error Message***
calibre, version 0.8.18
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>DatabaseException</b>:file is encrypted or is not a database
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 248, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 226, in connect
DatabaseError: file is encrypted or is not a database

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\__init__.py", line 315, in dispatch
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\choose_library.py", line 414, in switch_requested
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 487, in library_moved
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 193, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 144, in connect
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 366, in connect
DatabaseException: file is encrypted or is not a database
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 248, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 226, in connect
DatabaseError: file is encrypted or is not a database
Marok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
pete_1967
Connoisseur
pete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marok View Post
file is encrypted or is not a database
What OS are you using? In any case, you are not trying to move the directory from an encrypted drive to non-encrypted one? It's easy to forget that you might have encrypted your drive if it is automatically mounted on login.

Another thing I'd try is to just copy the old directories directly to Calibre's default location and see what happens then.
pete_1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Same O/S? Same version? 64/32 etc. Same version of Calibre?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Burning to DVD makes all files read only. You need to clear that flag on the files, once you have copied to a new disk.

Zip up you old Library, then burn the Zip to the DVD (WinRAR can set the spanned archive size so each piece will fit on a DVD).
The Read flag does not change for files inside an archive
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:34 AM   #5
Marok
Marok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of lightMarok is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kindle G3
Thanks for the fast replies, people.

The drive I'm copying from is definitely not encrypted.
Source and destination Calibre's are the same version.
Copying from Windows 7 (64 bit) to Windows 7 (possibly 32 bit - not sure - it's not my computer).
Could the (possible) 32 bit Windows be the issue here?
Marok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Check the read only attribute on the files... Open a command prompt, change to the directory where the metadata.db is and do a
Code:
attrib -r *.* /s
This will remove the read only attribute from all files.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I don't know about the 32/64 thing, but I do know I've copied my calibre library from my win7-64 to and XP (acer netbook) without issues, but it was/is a direct copy via network.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote