Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-06-2007, 11:49 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
E Ink in 2009: Larger, colorful and flexible, says CEO

It's probably too short to be called an interview; nevertheless, it's quite revealing. BtoBonline asked E Ink CEO and president Russell J. Wilcox about the future of e-paper. His estimates:
  • By 2008, more than 10 companies will sell e-readers (all monochrome and 6-inch);
  • In 2008, we'll see e-readers with 8-inch and 10-inch screens;
  • By 2009, we'll see e-readers with 11-inch and 12-inch screens;
  • By end-2008, and more in 2009, around half a dozen manufacturers are likely to introduce products with flexible displays;
  • By mid-2009, E Ink will strike with "really good" color capabilities.

Enough, I am still wiping the drool off my keyboard.

Full article: link

[via nxtbook]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Hehe, cant wait. I am ready to get me one of each
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Because of this thread and because I really do need the money at the moment, my 500 is going back and I'll wait and see what happens in the reader world in the next couple of years. As long as my 500 works, I'll be ok for the moment.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 02:26 PM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because of this thread and because I really do need the money at the moment, my 500 is going back and I'll wait and see what happens in the reader world in the next couple of years. As long as my 500 works, I'll be ok for the moment.
Did you mean "505 is going back"? Is that the one you ordered this week? Must be tough. It sure makes me salivate, money's tight for me too that's why I won't order one.

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 10-07-2007 at 11:21 AM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Come on, 2009!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Did you mean "505 is going back"? Is that the one you ordered this week? Must be tough. It sure makes me salivate, money's tight for me too that's why I won't order one.

Sorry to be the one pointing it out, your signature mentions "PRS050" for kovidgoyal. You might want to correct that.
Well, I may have been able to get away with it using the payment plans. But, seeing this thread is what put me over the edge to return it. I mean at present the 505 is not all that much better then the 500 other then the screen. I do find holding the 505 to be a problem. The cover is flimsy and when you have it folded back, it sticks out on the right side where the page turn buttons are. That make it harder to hold comfortably.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:11 PM   #7
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am not sure I see the point of 10 inch screens for ebooks... I guess it might be nice for magazines, but you lose much of the convenience.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:21 PM   #8
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
The 10" is really good for documents, especially conversions from paper sources like PDFs from journals. Those will be with us for a while yet. I expect the 10" displays to be more popular in business and academic environments.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:15 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Actually, I can picture most magazine fare reduced to a paperback presentation size with little impact. That's mainly because I can see pictures being reduced to a smaller or "thumbnail" size when alongside text and articles, with the option of viewing a full-size version with a quick tap.

The nicest thing about e-books, like the web, is that it gives us some room to reconceptualize the presentation.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:34 AM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
...The cover is flimsy and when you have it folded back, it sticks out on the right side where the page turn buttons are. That make it harder to hold comfortably.
Good find! This is the kind of detail that can render a design bothersome to use and of course our job here to ferret out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Actually, I can picture most magazine fare reduced to a paperback presentation size with little impact. That's mainly because I can see pictures being reduced to a smaller or "thumbnail" size when alongside text and articles, with the option of viewing a full-size version with a quick tap.

The nicest thing about e-books, like the web, is that it gives us some room to reconceptualize the presentation.
One bit of software option, on a reading device, that could be written, would be the ability to change picture size independantly from text size and vice versa. It could be done on RTF and HTML files, I wonder about PDF though. In this way when you open a file with included pictures, you could have an option, like you say, of displaying in thumbnail, and still manipulate text size to your liking.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:44 AM   #11
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
It was probably an easy enough forecast to make too, that's a long time to develop and get to market. Judging from the things we've seen turning up at recent consumer electronics shows, color may show up quicker than expected. Regarding larger screens, I think the main problem here is ensuring flexibility so we don't have too many Iliad issues with broken screens due to a larger, more flex-susceptible, screens. I'll be one of the first to run out and grab one of the 10" models when they're available! Sign me up, but don't ring me for too much moola!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:05 AM   #12
bowerbird
Banned
bowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughty

> His estimates:
> * By 2008, more than 10 companies will sell e-readers (all monochrome, 6-inch);
> * In 2008, we'll see e-readers with 8-inch and 10-inch screens;
> * By 2009, we'll see e-readers with 11-inch and 12-inch screens;
> * By end-2008, and more in 2009, around half a dozen manufacturers
> are likely to introduce products with flexible displays;
> * By mid-2009, E Ink will strike with "really good" color capabilities.

now here are _my_ estimates:
> * By 2008, more than 5 companies will sell e-readers (all monochrome, 6-inch);
> * In 2009, we'll see e-readers with 8-inch and 10-inch screens, at $400 and up.
> * By 2010, we'll see e-readers with 11-inch and 12-inch screens, at $400 and up.
> * By end-2010, and more in 2011, around half a dozen manufacturers
> are likely to introduce products with flexible displays, at $600 and up.
> * By mid-2012, E Ink will strike with "really good" color capabilities, at $500 and up.

check back in coming years and see who was closer to the mark...

e-ink has been breaking promises for so many years now that
i'm continually amazed that anyone dares to believe 'em at all...

-bowerbird
bowerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:18 AM   #13
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Hehe, i would have said "By end-2011, E Ink will strike with "really good" color capabilities"
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:41 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

We already have the iLad with an 8" screen at $699.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:29 AM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'm wondering if "really good" color capabilities will include a faster refresh rate.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote