Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
dontpanic
Edge User

Screen Timeout

Some of you have requested the ability to set the Tablet screen to never timeout for the purposes of events like presentations and reading on the tablet screen using the Nook and Kindle apps. This definitely has some effect on battery life, but it is a valid request. I need it myself. Previous threads have recommended the "My Settings" app from slideme.org, but we went ahead and built in a back door to this setting in Dingo 1.6.

1. Long press and empty part of the Tablet screen to bring up the desktop menu.
2. Choose "Widgets"
3. Choose the "Power Widget" item.
4. In the Power Widget, select the Lightbulb icon to toggle screen timeout to "never".

Enjoy,

TC

Old 11-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
emen
Edge User

It's a very handy widget, it took me a few seconds to figure out what's the lightbulb icon for . I don't really leave the LCD screen turned on all the time, but I like being able to turn it off when I want, so this is very useful, thanks.

Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
NiaTrue
Edge User

Very helpful. Thanks!

Old 02-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
gecko
Edge User

Even better would be having a switch so that the screen times out only when running off of the battery, but not when the eDGe is plugged in.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
Dr. T
Edge User

If you download the power widget, you can set the screen to not timeout... you just have to be the "switch" that recognizes when the eDGe is plugged in or not.

Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
Franky
Edge User

My problem is the fact that the browser is closed when the time out starts. meaning I'm busy working, do sometime else whitout switching off my eDGe and the time out closes my browser. Each time I go further I've lost all the windows I had open and I have to start over again. That irritates.

I could find anything in my eDGe to prefent the time out closing my browser. Does anybody has an idea?

Old 04-10-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
borisb
Edge User

Hmmm. The browser doesn't have a "timeout". It sounds more like it is "crashing" (shutting down unexpectedly), and this is a known issue with Ermine. You may want to use Opera Mini instead...

Old 04-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
Franky
Edge User

Well, I don't download and install this beta version. I'll wait for a good release.

I'm not sure if it is a crash. I probably should try to create a sendlog file before and right after the time our. Maybe I can find someting.

For now, I still use the default browser, cause that works fine for me. You still think I should download and use Opera Mini?

Last edited by Franky; 04-10-2011 at 09:03 AM.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Hmmm. The browser doesn't have a "timeout". It sounds more like it is "crashing" (shutting down unexpectedly), and this is a known issue with Ermine. You may want to use Opera Mini instead...
Are you having crashing issues with Opera Mini?

Old 04-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky View Post
My problem is the fact that the browser is closed when the time out starts. meaning I'm busy working, do sometime else whitout switching off my eDGe and the time out closes my browser. Each time I go further I've lost all the windows I had open and I have to start over again. That irritates.

I could find anything in my eDGe to prefent the time out closing my browser. Does anybody has an idea?
A work around I have been using for the browser crashing is to have more than one browser installed. Open a site with the default browser, and then when selecting a link it asks which browser to use I select the other installed one. When the second one opened crashes, I still have the main site open.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
gecko
Edge User

FWIW, I'm using Dolphin and haven't had any crashes. I use Opera, um, Maxi, on my home desktop [why do they call them "desktops?" The most common configuration I've seen is under the desk], but got confused about the varieties (mobile/mini) for the EDge. Thanks to the august forumites, I now understand that I want the mini, not the mobile, but I haven't bothered to install it yet.