Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
randyharris
randyharris began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook STR Sync?

I had the original nook and it sync'd just fine automatically such that if I opened my iPhone it knew what I was currently reading and where I last left off (not for sideloaded books but from my BN library.)

Paul Miller posted a review yesterday that indicated the sync on the Nook STR requires manually intervention. Is this accurate?

Review

Snippet regarding the sync'ing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posted by: Paul Miller on thisismynext.com
My other big problem is with the way the Nook ecosystem handles sync. As small and portable as the Nook is, I won’t always have it with me, so it’s very important to sync well with a mobile app. This is something Amazon just destroys at, with everything always staying synced automagically, but B&N hasn’t quite figured it out. For Nook you have to manually push the sync button from inside the library. You normally don’t even need to go into the library, since your recent titles are all on the home screen, so really you’re going to the library for the express purpose of syncing. And if you forget to sync before you start reading a title, you’re totally out of luck — if you push sync, you’ll just upload your most recent activity in the book. Cue frustration.
randyharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Cue frustration.
Of all the many things in the world to be frustrated about. Dude needs to get a grip.

I can't confirm. I wouldn't be surprised though. The NOOKcolor doesn't autmomatically sync, though the NOOK Android app does.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
yeah I agree I mean for the love of all things human to actually have to touch the "sync" icon, Ohhhh the humanity.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
randyharris
randyharris began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
you guys make fun, but I think it should sync auto myself. end of the world no.
randyharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I suspect some of these bugs will be worked out when the MyNook portal opens up for users. I got my new Nook tonight, but I've never used the sync, so this matters zilch to me.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
you guys make fun, but I think it should sync auto myself. end of the world no.
Yes, it should. I was making fun of dude, not the feature request.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I can't even figure out how to sync my classic Nook to my NC or either to my Nook app for Android. So, yeah, I wish it did it automatically too.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

The sync question brings up another.

First, yes it should sync automatically as does Kindle for Android and iBooks on iOS. One reason is the nookcolor screen has dead spots. If a button is in a dead spot then it would be an issue. It probably won't affect stock apps but if the nookcolor is rooted then even the Nook for Android app is hindered by dead spots.

So the second question, does the STR have dead spots on the screen?

Explanation: By dead spot I mean a part of the screen that is unresponsive to touch. A major flaw for a touch screen interface.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The sync question brings up another.

First, yes it should sync automatically as does Kindle for Android and iBooks on iOS. One reason is the nookcolor screen has dead spots. If a button is in a dead spot then it would be an issue. It probably won't affect stock apps but if the nookcolor is rooted then even the Nook for Android app is hindered by dead spots.

So the second question, does the STR have dead spots on the screen?

Explanation: By dead spot I mean a part of the screen that is unresponsive to touch. A major flaw for a touch screen interface.
I haven't found any yet. As the "touch" tech is actually infrared from around the edge of the frame, there shouldn't be. The screen isn't registering your touch, the infrared from the surrounding frame is. You don't actually have to physically touch the screen to draw a response, if you hover close enough to the surface for the IR to pick it up. You can fully remove margins, such that your text takes up the whole screen, and i've been able to touch highlight the whole thing, from top to bottom, right at the edges.

Don't know if this answers your question specifically, but hope it helps.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
I never had to use the sync feature before, but now that I have the NC and the Touch, I have been using it and it can be a little frustrating.

From what I have tried, these are the steps I need to take to sync both devices:

This example is to sync the book that I am currently reading

I have to make sure I exit the book in the first device
Before opening that same book in the second device, I have to sync the library on the second device, then open the book

Otherwise, it won't open in the same page: for example, if I don't exit the book on the first device, even though I sync on the second, it won't open on the page I was reading

Hope this doesn't sound confusing, but the main point is that it not automatic at all. I don't use the apps so I am not sure how it works on those.
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

If memory serves me correctly, I think you have to close a Kindle book to make sure it syncs, although it can sync without closing, but to ensure it does they suggest closing the book. The iBooks app doesn't require anything. I can read to page X on my iPt4, pick up my iPad and open the book, if it isn't already, and within a few moments it will autosync and pop me to the current page. It also syncs bookmarks, highlighting, etc. Other than the syncing ability, iBooks is a fairly lackluster app as it does not allow a lot of format customization, and the app speed is slower than other reader apps, but the excellent syncing capability makes it my reader of choice. Best of all, it even syncs sideloaded books whereas Kindle and Nook only sync purchased books.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I can't even figure out how to sync my classic Nook to my NC or either to my Nook app for Android. So, yeah, I wish it did it automatically too.
I have never been able to get the syncing to work properly either. And, yes, I have tried the tips to exit the books. It still doesn't work for me.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by negris123 View Post
I never had to use the sync feature before, but now that I have the NC and the Touch, I have been using it and it can be a little frustrating.

From what I have tried, these are the steps I need to take to sync both devices:

This example is to sync the book that I am currently reading

I have to make sure I exit the book in the first device
Before opening that same book in the second device, I have to sync the library on the second device, then open the book

Otherwise, it won't open in the same page: for example, if I don't exit the book on the first device, even though I sync on the second, it won't open on the page I was reading

Hope this doesn't sound confusing, but the main point is that it not automatic at all. I don't use the apps so I am not sure how it works on those.
Hi, negris123. Your postings have been very helpful. Thank you for sharing your experience. Does it only sync last page read between your devices or does it also sync bookmarks, highlights/notes, etc?
Old 06-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #14
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Hi, negris123. Your postings have been very helpful. Thank you for sharing your experience. Does it only sync last page read between your devices or does it also sync bookmarks, highlights/notes, etc?
I tried a few highlights and notes and they did not sync, only last page read

Did not sync bookmarks either
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by negris123 View Post
I tried a few highlights and notes and they did not sync, only last page read

Did not sync bookmarks either
Thanks! That is the answer that I was expecting. I had read previously that was the case, but I wondered if the latest software might have added this capability. Maybe the coming soon "MyNook" will address annotation syncing. One can hope?